Help creating a route for Garmin 205 - please!!!

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
Hi,

Planning to do this tomorrow but....the website seems to have given the same gpx for the 117 mile file as for the 96 mile. So when I upload the gpx into my Garmin Training Centre it is for the 117 mile and not the 96. They're very similar courses but all I want to do is either save the 96 mile route map as a gpx or edit the 117 one so it is the 96 mile course! Sorry, I'm sure this is all very simple.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    This reply is too late for you if doing the route today. I wouldn't bother trying to edit the gpx file - instead I'd use either mapmyride.com or bikeroutetoaster to plot the route correctly, then export as a .tcx file which you can upload as a course into the Garmin.
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    Hullo,

Still having a few difficulties. Can anyone tell me:-

1. Why, when sometimes I download a file as a .crs (course), I sometimes get the "Off Course" commands from within my 205, and sometimes I don't. Is this a setting within the 205 itself?

2. What is the difference between a .tcx and a .crs - will one guide me 'better' than the other one?

Many thanks
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    The 'Off Course' message appears when the difference between the planned course and your actual position goes over a certain threshold - as far as I'm aware the limit cannot be adjusted.

I used to get these messages quite a lot but then I started using the Follow Roads function when plotting routes in Mapmyride and now rarely get it - only when I actually go off route!

.tcx and .crs are different file formats - I used to use .crs but had some problems (can't remember what exactly) so switched to using .tcx which always seems to load successfully in to my 205 via Garmin Training Centre.