Pulled something and it hurts.

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
Was out on tonights chaingang, felt fine all the way (well a bit out of breath). At the end a lead group was forming so I tried to bridge the gap across. I was putting down a fair bit of power when I felt something go in my right leg. Had to stop pedalling and free wheel for a bit.

As soon as I try to put any kind of power down, the inside section of my upper thigh (groin?) just won't let me. Out of the saddle seems ok, but when seated even a tiny bit of pressure on the right leg results in pain. Sitting here at home now its still hurting a fair bit.

Just really peeed off as I've got good form and am feeling strong. Is it just a case of just R&R or any special stretches I can do? Is it worth a vist to the physio?

Also how can I stop this from happening again? Do I need to strengthen an area of weakness or stretch to make it a bit more flexible?
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• chrisb177
    chrisb177 Posts: 55
    I tore my groin a few years back playing football, i couldn't walk at all was in a lot of pain, you might have pulled or strained, I've done that as well, felt like a throbbing when sitting and kills when walking
    Want a Site? Visit
    www.cpbwebdesign.co.uk
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    If it were me, I would get it looked at by a Physio or Osteopath ASAP, esp if you are on good form. The sooner you get it looked at and treated, the sooner you will be back on your bike.

I would also ice the area and take anti-inflamatories
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    go to your Dr and ask for a referal to a Physio that way its free :wink: .
    Sounds like you may have a small hernia .
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Should have iced it as soon as you got back.
    I doubt you have torn the groin, its not easy to tear a groin cycling, easier to tear it whilst running, especially sprinting like rugby or football. Probably strained it, I did that last year.
    I do n ot bother with a physio, especially for a strain.
    Rest a day or two then use hot and cold packs on the sore area but be careful with the hot as the cold packs numb the pain so it is easy to burn the skin.
    If you havent got the pack towels with a bucket of ice water and hot water will do :D
  • Definitely groin, what you've described is exactly how I felt when I did mine (except mine was caused by pushing too big a gear off a long descent in a blizzard and not being warmed up as a result)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    sounds like either abductor or hip flexor. see a physio. you can still get your riding in with either. if you can walk and lift your knee its not going to be a tear.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I don't think it's a tear, and thanks for the good advice guys.

I think I'll give the doctor a visit to try and get a physio sorted, as well as using the ice packs and cold packs.

What about for the future, how can I stop this happening again?
    I do tend to have slower cadences at higher speeds, down from around 100rpm towards 70rpm for chaingangs. Is this why do you think?
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I get mine if I push too hard when cold, or not warmed up enough, it is usually ok after a day or two, but when I get it I just use lower gears and not push too hard when in saddle, especially on climbs.