How far do you ride?

2»

Comments

• zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Hi Flasheart,

Great name, by the way. I found that when I started riding (purely to lose weight)it took a good few weeks before the weight started to move. The plus side was that I didn't put on weight, but nether did I lose any for a while.

I ride 16 miles most mornings and in the last 12 months have lost a little over 2 stone. My wife has noticed the diference in my silouette, and even the barber commented last week, so it must be true. If his comely young assistant had noticed I would've be better pleased.

Keep going, even though you may not see any improvement straight away, it will come.

My time has stayed constant at around 53 minutes, but I'm not interested in improving that, I ride for the exercise rather than pleasure.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    My week day rides are around 30-40 max. Local weekend rides around 50ish but have been doing a few big hilly runs in the highlands/borders lately and some well over 100miles to gear up for the sportives.

Most miles ever done - Last years 140mile mega challenge with many 1000s of metres in climbing
    Brian B.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    I managed my first (flattish) 50 yesterday and I'm chuffed to bits. It seems about 3 hours is my realistic (pushing it) limit at the moment.

Snap! I did a 50 mile route last weekend in 3 hours and 2 mins. The route is fairly mixed in terms of Hills and flats.

I am currently in training for the GYBR in June but have so far not done a training ride which is equal to the 72 miles. The problem I have is not that I cannot manage it (I hope), but I cant really afford any longer than three hours out on the road per weekend due to family commitments (2 young kids).

Just hope that the extra 22 miles is not too much of a struggle for me on the day!!

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Rarely below 30miles, majority above 40miles, Average about 50ish miles, maximum normally about 70miles, although sometimes I do do more.

A lot of my rides seem to be around the 55miles mark, unfortunately just shy of the Metric century....

+1

I do try and mix it up a bit and will seek out hills as much as possible. In training for the wales dragon sportive so need to push it a bit. Did a 50 miler around Box Hill recently which was hard going.
  • About 14 - 15 miles daily for my commute to work and then anything from 20 - 30 miles on a Sunday depending on how much time I have free. One average it's about 80/90 miles per week.
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    my normal loop is 22 miles with a nice climb (owd betts) at the start i also have a shorter 14 mile route if i am (AS USUAL) struggling for time and i then like to go a little further at the weekend time weather permitting 30-40 miles but mainly do the 22 mile route. :D
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Hi Flasheart.
    If you lose fat by decent training, you are gaining muscle, which is heavier then fat, so go by whether you look better in your bibs, rather than how heavy you are!

My minimum ride is now 25 miles (hour and a half) but my new weekend route is 45 (3 hours, with cake stops...). A year ago my regular ride was 15 miles...

The more you ride, the easier the same route becomes because you 'learn' every bit of it.
    I did a ride over Easter which was totaly unknown to me and after 45 miles I gave up (:oops: ) because it consisted of never ending 10%+ up and downs along some of the worst B road surfaces I have yet used :shock: - I was totally knackered (and no : I didn't bonk). Yet the distance was the same as the new regular route I use.
    So, the effect of a ride on your body, in terms of how you feel, depends upon more than you: it is a function of terrain, road quality, weather, energy preparation and weight (you and the bike).
    Keep going. In another year you'll double your ride length and not notice.
    :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • grrram
    grrram Posts: 26
    I ride c. 16 miles round-trip for my daily commute. Saturday morning I'll ride from Blackheath to Richmond Park where I'll do an additional 3 laps, c. 53 miles in total. Once weather improves, I'll make some 100 miles forays into Essex.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Depends on work and family but in a typical week

1 hour ride at pace( ave 19-20 mph) 18miles
    2 hour ride with some intervals about 35 miles
    2x commutes 80 miles
    weekend club ride approx 50-60 miles
    Long slow ride for base endurance now up to 80 miles
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Im still new to all this and ive only been riding a couple of months.

During the week I do a 15m internal course which is mainly flat and takes an hour, or hills which is about 10m but there are 3 big hills (for Suffolk) so takes again just under an hour. Weekends I do distance but ive been sticking with 30m so far which is just under 2hrs.... its more around spare time than distance at the moment...
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I don't understand miles :cry:. I get fed up with converting. Use Kilos like everyone else in the world!

On my own I vary from 1-3hrs in the saddle, and with a club I've done over 5hrs with a fast lot, though with a tea-stop around half way.

Typically I pootle around on my own with a 33kph average, which I believe is somewhere around 20-21mph.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Haha, I feel very small fry now :oops:. I go for a ride everyday (Apart from when I've been working all day), if the weather is good and I'm feeling a bit adventurous I go for roughly 3.5 miles, which is from home, to the local lake, on a bit further and back again. There are lots of hills, so it's not exactly an easy ride. I am starting to go further and explore, my goal is probably 5 miles at the moment.
    I only cycle to get some fresh air and see the sights, I don't really take it seriously enough to rack up hundreds of miles a week. But still, each to their own :)
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    i have a commute which is 9miles each way which i do 3 days a week, and then i try to get out on weekends for a 30-50mile ride.

I keep trying to increase the distance but the routes are not too good near me so i have to drive up to the dales and then probs head into the lake district.

What annoys me is i cant seem to improve my time on my commute even though its not the best, but when i go for the longer proper rides i go way faster and they are more difficult.

But i think it also depends on the gradient of your ride to distance and time, im doing a 20mile route on the 1st of may on a weekend of cycling in the lake district, its only 20miles but it takes me over hard knott pass and then loops around and takes me up another 3miles long climb and then i head back to where i started. So its only 20miles, but i will be knackered, although i do plan on going off and doing another route after i have rested and the other two days i am aiming to do 50miles absolute minimum
  • I always seem to think everyone is going the opposite way too ! Anyhow it sounds like you are doing well. I think the Southern Sportive have a ride in August(it was last year) that has a 46 mile option. That could be fun to aim at. Or if you are in the New Forest last year Orchid (male cancer charity) did a 50 mile sponsored ride. That might be nice to do as it is a mix of all levels/ages/ abilities of cyclist and the terrain is pretty flat. :)
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    62.2 miles / 100.1 km in the peak district - 4 times a week or 3 times a week (I alternate days with riding/rest).