Critique My Fit/Position/Technique

COVEC
COVEC Posts: 213
Hi All,

I have posted a short video of myself on the rollers

HERE

If you have a few minutes spare (and maybe fancy a laugh) please have a look at it and I would appreciate any comments you have with regards to overall fit, my position and any major flaws in my technique.

I have been cycling for the past year and seem to have hit a noticeable improvement plateau, I try to get out twice during the week(20-30 miles) after work and both Sat and Sun for a longer(30-60 miles) ride.

The bike is a medium 2007 Giant SCR C4.

Cheers

Comments

• weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Flatter heels - this will result in less power loss from heel lift.

Looks like a very upright position.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    How flexible are you? What do you want to achieve/do? Race? Sportives? Enjoyment?

TBH it wouldn't necessarily be the best idea to get fitting advice off a forum - everyone is generally biased towards one type of fit or another. I personally go for a relatively long and low position that most people wouldn't find comfortable.

Remembering what I said before - I'd go for a longer stem and bend your arms a lot more.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • COVEC
    Hi,

To get my heels flatter do I need to adjust by saddle height or focus on maintaining it through technique?

I do feel that I can get lower when on the drops by bending my elbows and moving my hands up into the apex of the bend, this is generally my technique when attacking a stiff headwind.

To add a bit to my original post, the main thrust for the information is that I am thinking about upgrading my bike. Number one contender at the moment is a TCR Advanced 1, so it should allow a less upright position.

Also, it is not really noticeable in the video, but, my saddle is pretty much as far forward as it can go on the rails, so I was considering getting a smaller size in the TCR (moving from a med SCR to a small TCR). How would this affect my fit?

Cheers
  • I'd say you need a bigger bike. At the very least a longer stem. Have you got spacers in?

Also you could probably knock the saddle back a little.

The video is to jumpy to judge your technique, although it doesn't look that bad.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • COVEC
    The video is to jumpy to judge your technique, although it doesn't look that bad.

I don't think it is the video :D:D
    I'd say you need a bigger bike. At the very least a longer stem. Have you got spacers in?

So at the very least I would need to stick with a medium on the TCR?
    The only spacers below the stem are a 5mm one and the sort of conical jobbie(looks about 10-15mm) that protects the workings of the headset. Can the conical one be removed and the stem placed right on top of the headset workings?

To assist the conical one is of the same type as the left hand one pictured

HERE

Cheers
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    go and get a fitting!

to my untrained eye you appear to be lacking extension and probably neutralising the quads and glutes to some extent. certainly a flatter heel and greater extension from changing your layback / crank length would help. but frankly I'm just some bloke on a forum.

recommend cyclefit.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I'd try a longer stem, I'd also try moving your saddle back. I'd also try lowering your saddle. I certainly wouldn't get another bike until you feel 100% confident of what's best for you.

IME when I'm trying things out, it's best to try the extremes. So my advice would be buy the longest/cheapest stem possible then drop and extend your position. You can always come back up and in if you don't like it.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Black socks? :shock: :roll: :wink:

I can't even bring myself to wear black socks on the turbo. :lol:

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My first thought is that the bike is too small but it's difficult to tell just from a video. Go and speak to someone you trust at a shop, that's what I did and I'm V Happy!
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Saddle back a little bit imo.
    Also you may want to re-apply the Giant stickers and move your drivetrain to the 'usual' side :wink: