what training to do for a 7 day lejog?

TRADESIZE
TRADESIZE Posts: 80
Greetings,

I am relatively new to road bikes, but am planning (hoping) to do a 7 day lejog with 4 friends in sept. In the last year I've done a 20 mile round trip to work 4 days out of 5 first 6 months on a hybrid, then I went over to a single speed, but I've just aquired a s Bianchi mega pro L, its 10 years old, but almost like new (very well looked after), and I cant belive how fast it is.
This is the bike I would like to do lejog on.

Anyways I am doing my work commute, and last weekend I did a 50 miler (no probs).
Can any of you experienced peeps advise me of what would be a sensible training schedule to be able to manage to do lejog in 7 days so that I am in shape for mid sept?

Many Thanks
Please sponsor me here:
http://www.justgiving.com/jeffhillier1/

Charge Plug Racer with risers - Fixie
Bianchi Mega Pro L - Road Bike
GT Avalanche - Off Road bike
Raleigh Europa - I'll bulid it into a fixie one day!

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Slowly increase the length of your rides until you feel comfortable with doing the sorts of daily distances required in order to do the trip in the specified time.

For example, going from 50 miles in a day to 100 miles is not a good idea. Try adding 5 miles extra to your rides every week or whatever you feel you can cope with.

You just need to get comfortable staying on the bike for long periods of time.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    7 days is quite a big ask - something like 140 miles a day (8-10 hours riding). I did it 4 years ago in 11 days and it left me shattered for a couple of weeks (although I did pick up a stomach bug in the last 3 days).

Not saying you can't do it, but don't underestimate how tough doing that sort of mileage day after day is.

The training needed is not rocket science - just get yourself to the point where doing 100 mile rides back to back is not leaving you feeling absolutley foddered and you'll be about right I think.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I'd make your first target 100 miles at relaxed pace, then try again a bit faster. I'd say three or four 100+ trips should be your minimum target. Here's a link to my 2008 6-day LEJoG blog which may be useful - http://6-daylejog.blogspot.com/

a serious case of small cogs