Paris-Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    You could argue that Boonen made his own luck by being strong, knowing the race inside out and being in the right place at the right time. He had a great bike change compared to the nightmare wheel change Hincapie had, he knew which line to take on the cobbles and he was strong enough not to be trying to ride in the ditch as seemed to cause Hushovd's crash. He thoroughly deserved it - and there was me, with 20 kms to go, thinking that they'd settled for the velodrome sprint :lol:

Awful incident with the moto, though :(
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I thought someone had shot that woman spectator in the head, looked horribly like a splash of blood flying out infront of her.
    Good win by Boonen, good try by Pozzato, he held Boonen at 10-15 seconds for ages before finally giving it up.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Hoste seems pretty angry with Flecha. He suggested that Flecha caused the crash. "He can't steer" (from the Sporza.be interview)...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • teagar
    edited April 2009
    micron wrote:
    You could argue that Boonen made his own luck by being strong, knowing the race inside out and being in the right place at the right time. He had a great bike change compared to the nightmare wheel change Hincapie had, he knew which line to take on the cobbles and he was strong enough not to be trying to ride in the ditch as seemed to cause Hushovd's crash. He thoroughly deserved it - and there was me, with 20 kms to go, thinking that they'd settled for the velodrome sprint :lol:

Awful incident with the moto, though :(

Boonen definitely made the race. I counted 5/6 attacks from Boonen, and it certainly was his attack that made the final (group) selection. And with enough juice to TT faster than Pozatto. Sheer class. In Roubaix, Boonen is simply a class above.

' Flanders is tricker for him because it's very tactical, which, given his favourite status, is a bug burden to bare (bear?).
  • Bonus
    Bonus Posts: 316
    I didn't see the moto accident but I hope everyone's ok.

As for the race, I'd say Boonen deserved the win - he worked very hard as usual, but I was seriously gutted at 15km to go when out of a group of 6 possibles there was suddenly only 2! And then a minute later there was 1! Well 2 if you count Pozzato who didn't crash wth the other 4 but did a neat "handbrake turn" on the cobbles, and then managed to chase Tornado Tom for a while.

Good coverage and commentary on eurosport - cheers guys :-)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Classy ride by Tom. He really does look at home on the stones.

I hope everyone has locked up their 16 year old daughters - Looks like he's back
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He never went away. These races involve a bit of luck and if he's less a sprinter these days, he has to shine in Flanders or Roubaix. He can relax now and work towards the Tour and some head to heads with Cavendish.
  • teagar
    Kléber wrote:
    He never went away. These races involve a bit of luck and if he's less a sprinter these days, he has to shine in Flanders or Roubaix. He can relax now and work towards the Tour and some head to heads with Cavendish.

He did have the nous to be at the front and avoid the crashes 8).

Sorry, I'm a bit of a Boonen fan :oops: .
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    teagar wrote:
    Hoste seems pretty angry with Flecha. He suggested that Flecha caused the crash. "He can't steer" (from the Sporza.be interview)...
    Pozzato wasn't happy with Sñr Flecha either: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/p ... fans-21191
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I was also pleased to see that Pozatto looked to be struggling to breathe properly when he was chasing Tom.

Beats some of those mouth closed performances from the Ronde.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • teagar
    iainf72 wrote:
    I was also pleased to see that Pozatto looked to be struggling to breathe properly when he was chasing Tom.

Was probably trying to gulp in some of that Flemish beer that was apparantly thrown at him by some of the fans. I'm sure he misses it after he left Quick-Step.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Let's say the 6 stayed together to the end - who do you think would have won a bunch sprint?

I'm sure that Boonen wanted to get away from Hushovd. God that must have hurt his legs.

I was on my training rollers while the race was on - pedalling hard when they were on the cobblestones and easily when they were on the tarmac. It's a fantastic way of working out, but I fell off a few times with the excitement!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

"But before that he was riding badly anyway. He wasn't taking any share of the relays in the bunch."

That comment from the bold Fillipo re : Flecha made me choke on my soft drink :-) He sat on the wheels almost all day and last week as well
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • News of the moto crash

http://velonews.com/article/90466
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Hincapie blows it again. quote]
    :) Half my prediction for this year :) (see thread from some month's ago). Gotta wait for July to see if the other comes true to! (fingers crossed xxxx) :D:D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Moray Gub wrote:
    "But before that he was riding badly anyway. He wasn't taking any share of the relays in the bunch."

That comment from the bold Fillipo re : Flecha made me choke on my soft drink :-) He sat on the wheels almost all day and last week as well
    I wonder what the Italian is for 'the pot calls the kettle black'? :wink:
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Agreed. Typical comment from an Italian rider. He did FA to create that decisive 6 man break and I was glad he never managed to bridge up to Boonen after that chaos at carrefour.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I just read on Podiumcafe that Hoste threatened to punch Flecha in a post-race interview?!

Hoste and Pozzato were already two of my least favourite riders, and I think they just went down even further in my estimation.

Still, gotta love a bit of drama I suppose.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    I just read on Podiumcafe that Hoste threatened to punch Flecha in a post-race interview?!

Hoste and Pozzato were already two of my least favourite riders, and I think they just went down even further in my estimation.

Mr second at the Ronde seems to think he can boss any break and impose himself on it. Yeah, ok :lol:

And Pozzato, meh. Sporting of him to congratulate Boonen when going 'round on the velodrome. I remember reading he was one of those hurling abuse at Simeoni during that infamous Armstrong encounter, so he's a big thumbs down for me,
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:

Doesnt Cav have a thing going with Pozzato as well ?
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Doesnt Cav have a thing going with Pozzato as well ?

Probably. I know Pozzato has a problem with Gilbert. Not the most likeable of riders is he? :lol:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Hoste's comments on Flecha sound like sour grapes to me. Flecha was racing and misjudged a bend, it happens.

Someone should ask Hoste what his and Van Summeren's tactics were? From what I saw Van Summeren was towing the group along giving the others a rest. Hoste will never beat any of Boonen, Pozzato or Hushovd in a sprint so the two of them should have made more efforts to disrupt the group and split it up. That would have increased their chances of getting on the podium.
  • 25th for Bradly Wiggins too! Bet he beat all the 62kg climbers yesterday to boot.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Moray Gub wrote:

+1
    I wouldn't be surprised last night, when Tom went off to bed, Pippo was waiting for him under the sheets!
    He's been like a Siamese twin, or the back half of a pantomime horse, all week.
    Flecha? No wonder he was strong. Didn't do a tap for forty 40kms, only attacking the group on the tough sections.
    More fool them for letting them do it.

Would it have changed the podium? Quite possibly not.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Remember these guys careers are on the line. A crash here can cost a rider up to a million euros. No joke, had Van Summeren won, his salary would have gone up a lot and over the rest of his career that would have been worth a lot. Not saying he would have won, just that the stakes are so high.

Looks like the best man one, which is always satisfying as sometimes you don't get the man on man battle you want to see. M-SR did not have full attacks on the Cipress and Poggio, the Ronde was locked by Quick-Step, so it was Paris-Roubaix that saw the true favourites duelling.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • This is what a cycling forum should be like, talking about the racing, and how certain tactics worked or not.

Much better than squabbling over Texans or wondering who's juiced.
  • moray_gub
    NervexProf wrote:

Great clip that good dramatic music , its noticeable how surly Thor looks at Tom is holding up the pave stone, its almost as hes thinking f*ck ive blown a chance to take the biggest win of my career Because if he had came to the velodrome with Boonen i think he would have had a great chance of winning.
  • moray_gub
    25th for Bradly Wiggins too! Bet he beat all the 62kg climbers yesterday to boot.

Last i saw of Brad he was brought down by a rider crashing into a traffic island good to see he got back up and finished. I once heard a quote about every rider who finishes Paris Roubaix has a story to tell ....that certainly applies to yesterdays race.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I've only been watching racing for a couple of years so I've still got some things to learn. HUGELY enjoyed Paris-Roubaix yesterday, helped by placing a couple of small bets (a fiver on Devolder to win and a fiver each way on Haussler). Didn't work out, but it was worth it for the added involvement. Anyway, I've got a question for those of you with more knowledge and experience. Sorry if this is daft / obvious. When Boonen, Hushovd, and the other three went off the front, did Haussler not follow because he couldn't, or because he was working for the team and content to let the breakaway go as long as Hushovd was there? Haussler seemed so strong up until that point, especially when he attacked in the Arnberg forest, I really thought I might have been in with a chance with my 18:1 bet!