ideas for burning fat?

M1llh0use
M1llh0use Posts: 863
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
been reading a fair bit about training to loose bodyfat (now before anyone get's the wrong idea i'm not trying to get to 10% more drop from ~30%!!) not at all worried about loosing weight, just bodyfat.

What is the general opinion about whey protein BEFORE training to encourage fat loss as i've seen a few articles but only supported by specific brands of whey pretein suppliers?

(I've got a fairy balanced diet and seem to have lost some fat but remained the same weight (so assume musclemass is increasing slightly while loosing fat) and am trying to get out on a 15-20 mile ride at least twice a week. )

:?: :?: :?:
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Apart from the golden rule - eat less, exercise more - long, low-intensity rides really burn up the fat. 25 miles or more, two or three times a week at 50-65% intensity works great. Carbo-load the night before and during the ride don't stop for anything except to eat small amounts of food.
  • M1llh0use
    ok then. so a heart rate monitor is kinda useful then for making sure about the 65% thing..
  • punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    in between your ride days get in the gym on the weights. target the larger muscle groups, ie legs, back, and chest. squats are particularly good for this and helpful for riding too. your metabolism is raised for up to 48 hours after a weights sesh!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    My little bro did whey protein lots of weights but isn't a cyclist.

I did no whey, few weights, cycled lots AND CUT OUT saturated fats and alcohol.

At the end of last year my muscles were larger, he was slightly more defined in upper body, we could both lift, press, curl a simillar amount, he had less body fat, but he is also a virtual non drinker. I had lost more fat and weight. He had gained a couple of pounds (muscle tissue).

In conclusion it doesn't seem worth it, balanced diet and plenty of cardio is the way forward unless you want to bulk.
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    This is what I've been doing recently. Appart from riding I'm altering my diet slightly as it is allready reasonably healthy.

I'm cutting out carbs in the evening unless it is whole wheat pasta etc because processed carbs have a huge amount of calories and are easiliy turned in to sugar and therefore fat, I don't exercise late at night and I don't ride early in the morning either so I just don't need it. I'm cutting back on sugar in tea and my evening meal is pretty just meat and salad without starchy carbs. Trading the beer for wine because I don't want to have a life style like a nun!

So In short I'm eatting much less processed foods and opting for the whole wheat varieties, cutting out carbs in the evening and I've halved my sugar intake...and of course lots of riding.

I think it's working to :)
  • +1 for the longer less intense rides. I find that once I'm doing 100 miles a week there's a sudden big increase in fat burn, up to 75 miles a week don't really see it.

As for white wine instead of beer, not sure that works - there's a ton of sugar in white wine (I drink white wine btw) try not drinking one night, then when you're feeling ready to nod off have a couple of white wines - suddenly you're in the wide awake club - that's the sugar and it's shocking!
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Since New Years Day i've lost 2st. I started at 16st 10 and am now 14st 10.

3 things have been a major/partial factor.

1. DIET.... can't stress enough the importance of eating the right stuff... or more importantly, not eating the WRONG stuff. No cakes/sweet/crisps etc.

2. Exercise. 1 hour + up to 4 hours, 5 days a week of decently hard Cardio

3. THERMOPURE. From MyProtein I don't know how big or small a part this has played, but my weight has dropped and i'm in a 34" jeans for the first time since 1985.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    blow_torch.jpg
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    Dont wish to be a pedant or anything but... its 'lose' weight and not 'loose'. That's one thing that a surprising amount of people get mixed up and it really grinds my gears!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • M1llh0use
    Pork Sword wrote:
    Dont wish to be a pedant or anything but... its 'lose' weight and not 'loose'. That's one thing that a surprising amount of people get mixed up and it really grinds my gears!

:oops:
  • weeksy59
    Pork Sword wrote:

The only thing worse is an arsehole who picks up on incorrect spelling of words for no reason other than trying to look clever.
  • M1llh0use wrote:
    been reading a fair bit about training to loose bodyfat :

Maybe he meant loose :D
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • Pork Sword
    Weeksy59

Up yours arsehole. I suppose calling me an arsehole makes you look big and clever too hey? Kiss my arse you cock!
  • weeksy59
    Pork Sword wrote:
    Weeksy59

Up yours arsehole. I suppose calling me an arsehole makes you look big and clever too hey? Kiss my ars* you fool!

Be-littling someone because of their lack of spelling/grammar is simply out of order. How do you know the guy doesn't have Dyslexia and simply can't spell words. Or had an upbrining slightly under privilaged ?

To pick people up for no reason is just poor.

We all knew what he meant... leave him be.

If it were that important to you, send him a polite PM and let him know his mistake in private.
  • jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    Pork Sword wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Being referred to as a pedant, or pedantic, is generally considered insulting. However some people take pride in being a pedant, especially with regard to the use of the English language. On internet forums these individuals are known as "grammar Nazis".

Pedantry can also be an indication of certain developmental disorders. In particular those with high-functioning autism, often have behaviour characterized by pedantic speech. Those with Asperger's tend to obsess over the minutiae of subjects and are prone to giving long detailed expositions, and the related corrections, and may gravitate to careers in academia or science where such obsessive attention to detail is often functional and rewarded.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Pork Sword
    edited April 2009
    I didn't mean to single the guy out for some stick or come across as bit of know-it-all.

There's just a growing number of people of all types who can't get lose/loose right and I just felt a need to pass on my annoyance - maybe I should be a bit more understanding?

Perhaps you should give me an apology for calling me an arsehole!

Anyway, I'm not entirely convinced Dyslexia exists! We all make spelling mistakes at times its just that some of us use a Dictionary more than others! :wink:
  • MAWR
    MAWR Posts: 5
    Good previous advise about Diet regarding the carbs at night.

Simple carbs after about 5.00pm are not ideal, wholewheat would be a better option and theres loads of options on pasta, rice ,breads etc..just have small portions

Protien shakes are helpful only if you cant get enough protien in your diet generally and they are of a higher qualtiy of protien than in many other cases. When i'm weight training and i want to lose body fat my protien consumption can go up to about 200g per day with a larger proportion of my carb in-take earlier in the day to give me energy for training throughout the day.

As regards protien prior to training, my prefered meal about an hour before is a tuna/turkey/egg sandwich on white bread. This is an ideal time to have your simple carb to boost energy levels for the training and your also getting a qualtiy source of protien to boot.

Hope it helps
    Rock-on!!

CUBE Attention 08 Disc
  • Jetlag
    Jetlag Posts: 29
    It's really obvious he's not dyslexic as his spelling is generally very good. That's a bit of an overreaction.

It's a really prevalent misspelling, to be honest, as is definate (when it should be definite). It grinds my gears, too :lol: What's wrong with trying to help someone out? He didn't say it in a shitty way.

As for Protein whey, unless you're working out hard, I wouldn't bother with it. It's just extra calories.

There are too schools of thought on "fat burn zones".

Fat is a superbly efficient way for your body to store fat at 9cals a gram compared to 4 for carbs. Sadly, it is harder to convert fat into fuel so, at higher exertion, your body will need to use more glycogen (carbs) than fat. At lower exertions, though, you can use more fat for fuel as your body has time to do the conversion. This generates a myth that there is a "fat burning zone".

The evidence seems to show, however, that harder exertion burns calories for longer after working out, so, in the long run, you burn more fat with workouts of higher exertion (75%-85% of MHR).

BUT, if you are only just starting to improve cardio, then long slow workouts are better as you will be building a base level of fitness (base training). If you're already pretty fit and want to get some fat off, then intervals and higher intensity training is better.

As for HRM, they're great, you can get by with a RPE or rate of perceived exertion. Google will give you loads of links about it.

HTH
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Pork Sword wrote:
    I didn't mean to single the guy out for some stick or come across as bit of know-it-all.

There's just a growing number of people of all types who can't get lose/loose right and I just felt a need to pass on my annoyance - maybe I should be a bit more understanding?

Perhaps you should give me an apology for calling me an arsehole!

Anyway, I'm not entirely convinced Dyslexia exists! We all make spelling mistakes at times its just that some of use a Dictionary more than others! :wink:

Shouldn't that be "some of us use a dictionary..." or "some use a dictionary..."? ;)
  • Pork Sword
    lol Just for you slow1972 I've changed it!

I try to make a point of spelling correctly and would just like others to do the same. I'm no "grammer Nazi" though!
  • M1llh0use
    to all the grammer Nazis -

It wasn't a lack of education either as my CCNA, MCP or any of the other qualifications i hold may testify to, twas a simple mistake of using IE over a slow RDP connection to bypass a content filter to enable me to post NOT dislexia, autism or any other medical condition.

:tonguestickingoutsmilie:

:wink:

(and yes i'm a bit picky normally about spelling as well)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Pork Sword wrote:

I don't wish to be a pedant either, but I think you mean "...it's 'lose'...." not "...its 'lose'..."

That's another thing that a suprising number of people get mixed up, and it really grinds my gears!
  • M1llh0use
    :rofl: @ spelling and grammar lessons....
  • Pork Sword
    will3

lol. Well observed m8! I know that it's is an abbreviated version of it is... I'm writing these messages at a busy reception desk so perhaps my attention to detail is a bit wanting too... :oops:

See, if we all work together we can improve the grammer impoverished staus quo!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Pork Sword wrote:
    will3

lol. Well observed m8! I know that it's is an abbreviated version of it is... I'm writing these messages at a busy reception desk so perhaps my attention to detail is a bit wanting too... :oops:

See, if we all work together we can improve the grammer impoverished staus quo!

Aye, grammar, not grammer :roll:

Really, if you're gonna be a pedant, start with your own posts, eh?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    WTF?! Exercise to spelling errors?!!

Don't take pills - just exercise. Anyone can do it - unless they have a disability.

As for spelling and grammar, I can't stand poor written English but that may be because a large chunk of my job is about writing. However I tend to let it go unless it's very bad.

People may shoot others down who pick up on mistakes but if anyone applies for a job/pitches for my business (I run a PR company) and makes spelling and/or puncuation errors, they are instantly dismissed.

So while some may think it doesn't matter, others find it very important.
  • Pork Sword
    edited April 2009
    I'll get my coat... :oops:

It's all good fun at the end of the day! Right then loosers, I'm off to to loose that dictionary I keep reading! :shock:
  • weeksy59
    Surf-Matt wrote:

So while some may think it doesn't matter, others find it very important.

Me too, but not on an internet forum posting about loosing fat :)