Has anyone much experience of riding around the South Downs?

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
I'm planning on doing a training ride around the South Downs this coming weekend, and wondered if anyone could offer any advice on a good route. I don't know the area that well but will be staying in Littlehampton on the South Coast. I had originally plotted a 48 mile ride for my Garmin 705, from Littlehampton to Northchapel, Petworth, with Bury Hill in the middle. I'd heard it was a decent climb but the roads around there are supposed to be a bit trecherous, with high speed traffic etc.

Can anyone offer any advice on an alternative route?

I did the Surrey Hills a couple of weeks ago, so not desperate to do loads of climbing, but one or 2 nice climbs would be good. Aiming to ride for about 50 or so miles.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• sampras38
    Update..

I've managed to find a 60 mile route on bikely that includes the Bury Hill climb, but avoids the more trecherous roads. Starts in Littlehampton and goes via Chichester and Eastbourne. So it looks like we have a winner..\0/
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    How does l'ton Chi & Eastbourne work?.

Sorry I missed your post, as the West sussex Downs are my plaything!.
    How did you get on?.
  • sampras38
    PostieJohn wrote:
    How does l'ton Chi & Eastbourne work?.

Sorry I missed your post, as the West sussex Downs are my plaything!.
    How did you get on?.

This is the route I'm doing.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/60 ... est-Sussex
  • PostieJohn
    Cool, that should be a good run.
    Certainly a run I/we do.

There are quite a few 'local knowledge' deviations to get away from the traffic (turning left straight after the Bury Hill descent, for 1), but assuming you don't do the ride when everybody else is about even the main roads should be clear enough.
    The ride up to Bury Hill will be your first climb, it's not too bad, certainly better that way.
    The rest of the route is nicely undulating, but it looks like you come back over the Downs up Duncton. All I can say about that, is at least it will be your last climb, of the day!!!.

A word of warning though, the winter has taken it's toll on the road condition, it's noticeably a lot bumpier and pot-holed, than is comfy, and in many cases safe.
    So keep your wits about you.

Luckily your not going to Eastbourne.

Have fun.
  • sampras38
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Cool, that should be a good run.
    Certainly a run I/we do.

There are quite a few 'local knowledge' deviations to get away from the traffic (turning left straight after the Bury Hill descent, for 1), but assuming you don't do the ride when everybody else is about even the main roads should be clear enough.
    The ride up to Bury Hill will be your first climb, it's not too bad, certainly better that way.
    The rest of the route is nicely undulating, but it looks like you come back over the Downs up Duncton. All I can say about that, is at least it will be your last climb, of the day!!!.

A word of warning though, the winter has taken it's toll on the road condition, it's noticeably a lot bumpier and pot-holed, than is comfy, and in many cases safe.
    So keep your wits about you.

Luckily your not going to Eastbourne.

Have fun.

Thanks for the tips Postie.

I'll post up my thoughts on the ride next week.
  • PostieJohn
    Oh and another thing.

When leaving L'ton, your 1st point should be Arundel, go the Lyminster way, NOT Ford.

You'll end up at the same roundabout, but the view of Arundel is worth it, and you will also miss out on the car boot traffic.
  • sampras38
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Oh and another thing.

When leaving L'ton, your 1st point should be Arundel, go the Lyminster way, NOT Ford.

You'll end up at the same roundabout, but the view of Arundel is worth it, and you will also miss out on the car boot traffic.

cheers, I'll bear it in mind.
  • sampras38
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Oh and another thing.

OK, so did the ride on Sunday and it was fine. I took your advice and avoided Ford and went through Lyminster, Arundel, through Bury and then down Bury Hill and through Hardham, and kept going all the way to Billinghurst, then across to Petworth and Midhurst. My Garmin then decided to get it's knickers in a twist so I turned round and headed back the same way. I was glad in the end as it allowed me to climb up Bury Hill from the other side that had 2 lanes. I did the hill quite quickly and enjoyed whizzing down the other side. All in all a good 60 mile ride and will definately do it again the next time I'm down that way. Next time I might add some time riding along the coastline towards Shoreham-By-Sea.
  • PostieJohn
    Excellent, I'm pleased.
    Bury Hill is fun, I think 3.8mph is the slowest/lowest point I've ever hit going up there :lol:. I was having a right bad day!.

We only really hit the coast when bored/lazy/tired, as obviously it's flat and your limited with the road options.
    You might want to plot a 'tricky' downlands route to Ditchling Beacon, as once over your downhill all the way to Brighton Pier, a la L2B. Then a right turn keeps the sea on your left shoulder all the way back. The obvious downside, as we get warmer, is mental traffic.
  • sampras38
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Excellent, I'm pleased.
    Bury Hill is fun, I think 3.8mph is the slowest/lowest point I've ever hit going up there :lol:. I was having a right bad day!.

We only really hit the coast when bored/lazy/tired, as obviously it's flat and your limited with the road options.
    You might want to plot a 'tricky' downlands route to Ditchling Beacon, as once over your downhill all the way to Brighton Pier, a la L2B. Then a right turn keeps the sea on your left shoulder all the way back. The obvious downside, as we get warmer, is mental traffic.

Yeah, I was actually quite suprised how quickly I went up Bury Hill. I think it was something like around 8 or 9mph on average. I wouldn't have liked to climb it from the other side with only one lane. i'm not timid by any means but the cars were going past me pretty quickly as I did the descent and it got a bit hairy at one point.;-)