Clipping in/out help - spd-sl

boniver
boniver Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
I've got spd-sl cleats (yellow with float). this is my first time ever with a road bike and clipless pedals but dont know how to actually clip in. the cleat is just bigger than the pedal.

that back hook of the pedal seems able to be pushed back but its very hard to do and requires a lot of force just with my hand, i dont see how its possible using my foot.

is there some technique im just not getting? the pedals are shimano PD-R540

edit: could it have something to do with how i put in the cleats and screws in my shoe? their position or how tight i screwed them in? i did that myself and it could be whats wrong

pedal (top view)
pedal (side view)
cleats (bottom of shoe)
cleats (side shoe view)

Comments

• Big Ted
    Big Ted Posts: 330
    edited April 2009
    Hi

hook the front bit of the cleat under the front edge of the pedal, then push down with your foot - does that help - it certainly wont work if you are trying to put the back of the cleat in first. (i find it easiest with pedal say at 6 o clock position, and brakes held on hard!)

The springs are very strong and you will probably only be able to clip in with your shoes on your feet - ie not easy to push cleated shoes on by hand.

Hope this helps a bit - you'll get the hang of it and it is well worth the effort i promise!

good luck

ted
    Big Ted Rides Hard...
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    If you're just trying it using your hands, I'd suggest sticking a shoe on your foot, sit on the saddle (lean against a wall on the side you're not trying to clip in initially), catch the nose of the cleat in the front of the pedal and pushing your heel down hard - the springed clip at the back of the pedal should give enough to let the cleat clip in. You put out a lot more force pushing down with your leg than you'll ever be able to with your hands. To unclip, twist your heel out to the side - the cleat should pop out of the pedal.

You can loosen the spring in the pedal if you want the grip to be less strong - there should be somewhere for you to stick an allen key to loosen it off - but that's more to enable an easier release rather than easier entry.

Clipping in and out is a knack you'll pick up quickly, especially after your first fall :wink: just remember to keep your legs turning while you try to clip in the second foot - top tip is to keep pedalling with the foot that's clipped in so you don't lose momentum.
  • boniver
    alright that wasnt so bad! thanks for the help though its going to be tricky coming to a stop at lights and doing this often. im naturally clumsy so somehow feel like i will spend a lot of time in the "clipless moments" thread. definitely need to practice off road for a while

now what is the best technique for clipping out quickly in this set up? eg lifting foot and twisting

edit: sorry you mentioned twisting my foot to unclip. thanks for the tips. be sure to watch my posts for recent falls/injuries etc :D
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Don't worry - you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Find somewhere quiet to practise and try to cycle along clipping in and unclipping. You'll see that momentum is key - if you fail to clip in with your second foot after a couple of attempts, give the clipped in foot a spin in the pedal to keep yourself moving forward, then try again to clip the other foot in. And if you're coming to a junction where you might have to stop, I'd unclip one foot a good 5-10 metres before it in case you have to stop suddenly - it's much easier to unclip while you're moving than trying to stop and unclip at the same time!

Good luck - it'll be second nature in no time.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    boniver wrote:
    now what is the best technique for clipping out quickly in this set up? eg lifting foot and twisting

Just twist, quickly.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    fnegroni wrote:
    boniver wrote:

Just twist, quickly.

or don't clip out if you can help it - as you approach junctions - keep an eye out for roadside furniture - railings, lamposts (that are close to the edge of the kerb - don't fall over leaning for them!) road signs and even cones make decent props to save from unclipping / clipping back.
    if you get cocky- the side of buses and vans make decent props too! :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Brave man going straight to SPD-SL - However once you get the hang of them you will really notice a diffrence in power transfer , accelration, and Average speed !

A couple of things - I am very clumsy footed, and have weak ankes - I clip out by turning my ankle inwards - freaky - but it works for me !

Also if you can't clip in first time - you can still pedal by putting your heel on the pedal.

keep trying - you will be a real cyclist in around 10 days !
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i found the -sl's a bit tough to get into at first (still do, now and again!) but found that pointing my toes a bit helped in the unclipping until the spring slacked a bit and made it easier. you shouldn't need to pull up as you twist the foot, the release of the cleat is pronounced enough from the twist alone.

i've been riding with them nearly a year and really like them, but still have the odd day where clipping in going uphill just seems impossible! :lol:
  • boniver
    an update on how my first few days on a road bike and using clipless shoes went.

practicing on the empty wide roads by the park close to my place, the first time i clipped in went just fine and i was riding like a pro in seconds, naively thought to myself "maybe im above the everyone-falls law".

decide i best practice stopping and clipping out, for when similar moments occur on the road. so i start slowing down to a halt, clip out my left foot and dangle it almost to the ground to stand on but as the bike almost completely stops, it leans over to the right side ever so slightly.....the right foot refused to clip out and bang, im kissing asphalt.

now that ive learnt how a fall might happen, ive become a nervous stopper on the bike.

pushing off is my main problem at the moment which is stopping me going on long road rides. I leave a foot clipped it, push off with it then as momentum carries me, try to clip the other in but i always start wobbling and swerving then frantically try to clip in but by that time, my push off has slowed to a crawl. i know you're meant to keep pedelling on the clipped in foot but i need the other pedal stationary otherwise i cant do it so right now id be useless at a red light.

anyway its only been a couple days so far, having lots of fun but also desperate to get this clipping business down to an art. thanks to the people who gave advice on here by the way, very much appreciated
  • boniver
    should mention, one hard thing about these types of pedals, is that when your foots not in them, they are always upside down (due to weight of back hook)

so before clipping in, i have to use my toe to turn it right side up then clip in
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    One thing thats helped me
    Lube the contact points between cleat/shoe and pedal.
    This made clipping out wayyy less effort/faster/smoother.
    Also stopped an annoying squeak, grind crunch noise too. :wink:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    boniver wrote:
    an update on how my first few days on a road bike and using clipless shoes went.

practicing on the empty wide roads by the park close to my place, the first time i clipped in went just fine and i was riding like a pro in seconds, naively thought to myself "maybe im above the everyone-falls law".

decide i best practice stopping and clipping out, for when similar moments occur on the road. so i start slowing down to a halt, clip out my left foot and dangle it almost to the ground to stand on but as the bike almost completely stops, it leans over to the right side ever so slightly.....the right foot refused to clip out and bang, im kissing asphalt.

now that ive learnt how a fall might happen, ive become a nervous stopper on the bike.

pushing off is my main problem at the moment which is stopping me going on long road rides. I leave a foot clipped it, push off with it then as momentum carries me, try to clip the other in but i always start wobbling and swerving then frantically try to clip in but by that time, my push off has slowed to a crawl. i know you're meant to keep pedelling on the clipped in foot but i need the other pedal stationary otherwise i cant do it so right now id be useless at a red light.

anyway its only been a couple days so far, having lots of fun but also desperate to get this clipping business down to an art. thanks to the people who gave advice on here by the way, very much appreciated

don't try and clip in with the other foot - put your *hee* l on the pedal - get moving- then clip ! (works for me anyway)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I fitted these a few months ago and had similar troubles even though I had spd fitted previously. The pedal, when at rest should hang vertically with the loop part uppermost. This makes engaging the toe of the cleat much easier. New pedals may be a little stiff and not swing into that "ready" position automatically. Try a little chain lubricant on the pedal axle to encourage a freer action. I also set the spring adjuster for the release to the easiest setting to allow for my initial clumsiness.
    It is important that the movement of the foot to release be as horizontal as possible. Any twisting in the vertical plane will cause the cleats to bind and hinder your action.
    I am pleased I changed over but still have the occassional "moment" (last tuesday) when nothing quite works as you hope. Good luck, persist.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    boniver wrote:
    I've got spd-sl cleats (yellow with float). this is my first time ever with a road bike and clipless pedals but dont know how to actually clip in. the cleat is just bigger than the pedal.

that back hook of the pedal seems able to be pushed back but its very hard to do and requires a lot of force just with my hand, i dont see how its possible using my foot.

is there some technique im just not getting? the pedals are shimano PD-R540

edit: could it have something to do with how i put in the cleats and screws in my shoe? their position or how tight i screwed them in? i did that myself and it could be whats wrong

pedal (top view)
    pedal (side view)
    cleats (bottom of shoe)
    cleats (side shoe view)

Hi,

They are the same as mine, I have only fallen off three times with them so far so good luck haha.....

No really I was the same when I first put them on, and if you try and clip them in with your hands it is very difficult but extremely simple with your feet.

Basically the black part at the front of your shoe hooks under the front of the pedal, and if you then push down with your heel you are fixed in place.

I would suggest practicing getting one foot in and out first of all. Once you have mastered the basic principle of this then move onto a quiet road and practive a bit more you will soon get the hang of it, but you will prob fall off at some point. You get used to the pain eventually dont worry haha.

Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Try attaching your bike to the turbo or get someone to hold it steady for you. Then clip and unclip until you get the 'feel' for it. They are definately worth the effort but can lead to embarrasment when you come to a halt and forget the bike is actually attached to you!! Getting the feel for unclipping will make the action of doing so all the more natural whilst getting the feel for clipping in will help you take up the pedals in a hurry after you've unclipped, eg crossing the road or pulling away from lights.
  • in response to bonivers early post about the road pedals turning over because of the weight on the back of it, i don't know about anybody else but i opted for some mountain bike pedals: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shimano-Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Pedals--Silver-10226.htm They are compatible with SPD cleats and i originally got the idea from my uncle who uses them and has for a long time. They're double sided so, particularly for beginners it makes it a bit easier to clip in and out until you're used to them. So far there seem to have been no problems with them but can someone please tell me if its not good for the bike or whatever. I don't have that much experience with bikes because i'm only 15 but i hope that this might help... :?
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    your music is crap, boniver
  • boniver
    hmm im not so sure about putting mountain bike pedals on, although it would make walking around in those shoes/cleats easier
    your music is crap, boniver

in the top 10 of lists world wide. all those people can't be wrong :P
  • Yeah I didn't know if they would do any damage to the bike, but so far there have been no problems, touch wood. :D and also they fit standard SPD cleats
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Flamebird2 wrote:
    Yeah I didn't know if they would do any damage to the bike, but so far there have been no problems, touch wood. :D and also they fit standard SPD cleats
    SPD and SPD SL have different sized cleats and are not compatible. SPD SL have a larger cleat area and pedal which is supposed to make them better for long road rides whereas standard double sided MTB SPDs are meant for ease of clipping in and out so that when you're on an MTB you can get in and out of them quickly if you need to climb over a fallen tree, gate or something. It's OK to use MTB SPDs on a road bike if that's what you want to do, however some people compain of "hot spots" on their feet after cycling for a long time on MTB SPDs
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • To dust off an old thread, I've recently started using SPD-SL's and since raising my saddle height I'm now struggling to unclip, so much so today I nearly toppled off saved only by a carefully placed road sign to prop me up. For the rest of my ride I thought about what I was doing wrong and started experimenting and discovered I can unclip far easier and more consistently if I twist my heel inwards and not outwards as per the common approach. Has anyone else discovered this? I had already adjusted the spring tension but is there anything to suggest I'm going to knacker the pedal mechanisms?
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Not sure about the pedal mechanisms but you may knacker your ankle, foot, shoe when you put it into your wheel, chainring or chain. Never seen anybody clip out like that, hard to imagine it would be comfortable.
  • As long as I unclip the left foot with the pedal at the top position there's no danger of knocking anything.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Fair enough, just seems weird. As long as it works for you.
  • Flamebird2 wrote:
    in response to bonivers early post about the road pedals turning over because of the weight on the back of it, i don't know about anybody else but i opted for some mountain bike pedals: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shimano-Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Pedals--Silver-10226.htm They are compatible with SPD cleats and i originally got the idea from my uncle who uses them and has for a long time. They're double sided so, particularly for beginners it makes it a bit easier to clip in and out until you're used to them. So far there seem to have been no problems with them but can someone please tell me if its not good for the bike or whatever. I don't have that much experience with bikes because i'm only 15 but i hope that this might help... :?

I use MTB pedals on my road bike following them being recommended by a number of more experienced friends and colleagues and my LBS. I've had no problems with them and there's plenty of forum members here who also use them if you have a search around

EDIT- Hadn't noticed how ancient the post I was replying to was !!
  • EDIT- Hadn't noticed how ancient the post I was replying to was !!

I dusted it off rather than start a new one :) Thanks for the MTB tip, will bear it in mind.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    boniver wrote:
    should mention, one hard thing about these types of pedals, is that when your foots not in them, they are always upside down (due to weight of back hook)

so before clipping in, i have to use my toe to turn it right side up then clip in

Yes, very annoying. If you don't notice and try to clip in your shoe slides off the pedal and you wobble all over the road. The probability of this happening seems to approach 1 the bigger and busier the road junction.
  • My Spd pedals hang vertical..ish ready for your toe to touch first, I thought they all did that?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @c101.. If you have raised your saddle and are struggling to unclip, then I would humbly suggest that you have raised your seat too much. Perhaps you need to look at some bike fit info before you get into potentially dangerous habits
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    When unclipping ALWAYS move / twist the heel to the outside, away from the rear wheel. This will prevent you getting your ankle / heel all torn up because it hit the spinning spokes.