Cycle Facility of the Month - March Facility

OldSkoolKona
OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm sure that many of you have seen Warrington Cycle Campaign's excellent Facility of the month page, but I thought that both the February Facilityand the April Facilitywere worth checking out.

For February, I think that a snorkel would be a good addition for safety considerations incase you swerve :shock:

As for April, word's fail me :roll:

Comments

• the_hundredth_idiot
    the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
    edited April 2009
    That's reminded me to send the guy a photo of my favourite "cycle facility" near my house. I had taken a photo of it but I've been making a bit of a meal of uploading it somewhere where I can actually link to it.

Luckily, Street View comes to the rescue! :D

Waddya reckon to this as a quality cycle path? Anyone for recreating The Italian Job ... but on bikes? Maybe a CX bike IS the way forward with cycle paths like this?

And how do I embed a photo or a streetview image? Please help! :oops:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    For a photo you need to upload it to a hosting site such as Flickr. Once uploaded, copy the pic's address and post it between image tags: (address%20here.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Streetview! Now there's a use for it that I never thought of.

Here are some of the interesting cycling 'facilities' thoughtfully provided for me on my route.

Dual Use Cycle Lane and Car Park- often you get lumbered with narrow cycle lanes, but here, Richmond Council have kindly provided a cycle lane that is wide enough to park a car in and not go over the line, as these local drivers have been keen to try out.

Death of a cycle lane - Before, During, After This is where Richmond Council narrowed the Hampton Court Road and moved the cycle lane onto the footpath as a shared path, similar to what was carried out near by.
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    LOL :lol: that canal one is brilliant.

but seriously, WTF were they thinking in Aprils one??!?!?!?!!! bloody hell!

:edit:

:lol::lol: the comments have really got me laughing as you go back through the months.

It's not funny really but I suppose if you can't laugh at some of these it'd only go & really upset you.

Personally I always use the road anyway, and never pavements / bike lanes - Bumpy horrible things compared to road. They must build them differently or something.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    edited April 2009
    this is one i have never understood by me

starts at the back of the white car, finishes after the second car. there is no other cycle lane within miles of this part, just cant understand it lol

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=W ... 10198,,0,5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    This one is good.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • URL Fail :(
  • attica
    Bumhats!

it works for me.

Google Coronation Road Bristol, lots of lovely trees to brighten the cyclepath!!!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Here's a particular favourite, this sign, relating to this stretch of road. The cycle lane is in there somewhere on the left :shock:
  • attica

Show off!

but yes, those ruddy trees, oddly enough I've never used that bike path
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • the_hundredth_idiot
    the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
    edited April 2009
    Crapaud wrote:
    For a photo you need to upload it to a hosting site such as Flickr. Once uploaded, copy the pic's address and post it between image tags: (address%20here.

Cheers. So now, in all it's glory (rather than as a crappy link at the end of a long sentence) is my favourite cycle path.

3410248852_9106df37fa_m.jpg

And, with my new powers, I will finally upload an avatar. Mwa ha ha ha! :twisted:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Crapaud wrote:

Cheers. So now, in all it's glory (rather than as a crappy link at the end of a long sentence) is my favourite cycle path.

And, with my new powers, I will finally upload an avatar. Mwa ha ha ha! :twisted:

Oh I give up! :oops: Deep down, beneath this incompetence, lies a keen intelligence. But it's sleeping at the moment and, apparently, does not wish to be woken.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Crapaud wrote:

Oh I give up! :oops: Deep down, beneath this incompetence, lies a keen intelligence. But it's sleeping at the moment and, apparently, does not wish to be woken.

I know the problem
    You did the address of the webpage not of the picture *on* the page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37024063@N05/3410248852/

not
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3410248852_9106df37fa.jpg?v=0

You then need to strip off the end avter the ".jpg:"

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3410248852_9106df37fa.jpg[/img]

This should work, look at my quote

It is a good cycle path, no?

3410248852_9106df37fa.jpg

EDIT:

I tend to use imageshack as I don't need to subscribe, they poroduce thumbnails and provide the syntax for forums (I can't remember which of the two options works on this board though...)
  • Cheers, Jimmy. Post above edited and now works.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    bwhahaha these are great :lol: I'll have to see if I can snap some of my own.

@The Hundredth Idiot: WILMA!
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Near the end of my commute home ... if you survive the path, I suppose you could limbo under the car :?

Edit: Aaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhh how to copy the link correctly?? Getting a blank, black streetview occasionally? :evil:

Edit 547: Does this one work? Too late, giving up :(
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Some of those ones are brilliant!

Just found this from a link off a local cr4p cycle lanes site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4794198.stm

I got the link for that one off here:

http://crapcyclelanesofcroydon.blogspot.com/

Not to sure if I should be proud or cry that we have a site dedicated to rubbish cycle lanes (and cycle news) in my hometown! Fear not it appears Bristol, Brighton and Sutton get the same treatment!

The older version of the site seems to highlight the embarrassing cycle lanes a bit easier, I actually live off of Whitehorse Lane (before those "cycle lanes" luckily!) and regularly avoid that one on Wellesley Road, instead chosing the sensible option of remaining on the carriageway and ducking off down the bus lane before the underpass - you can just see the start of the bus lane in the second pic, it's the red/pink box!
    Bear in mind that the whole thing is complicated by the tram lines which are just the right width to gobble up your narrow wheel if you try to cross them at a shallow angle
    :shock:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • duncedunce wrote:
    Near the end of my commute home ... if you survive the path, I suppose you could limbo under the car :?

Shocking :shock: , so many things to say about that one! What direction is it (compare the give way direction to the arrow), nice traffic light in the middle, then the final car park/cycle lane combo.

This must be what they mean when they say 'multimodal facilities'. No doubt the council in question (Bromley?)ticked the 'we've provided for cyclists box' and gave themselves a good pat on the back! :cry:

Perhaps you should email them and send them the link to the Street View picture - traffic@bromley.gov.uk
  • Here's a pointless one on my commute home.

As you're coming along the road, a cycle lane suddenly appears on the left

That all of, oh, 10 meteres later, puts you back onto a side road.. :shock:

I stick to the road, but for inexperienced cyclists who don't know the Highway Code and that you are under no obligation to use cycle lanes, they are often more dangerous than remaining on the road.

Coming the other way in the morning (sadly, blocked in Street View by the queue of cars I get to sail by) there is actually an arrow on the road directing cyclists onto the footpath, which creates all sorts of ire with motorists when I chose to remain in the road.
  • August's Cycle Facility

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/August2009.htm

barrack-path.jpg

It's like an neverending circular route, you could get a whole evening's tranining going around that one!
  • You do have to wonder about the mental capacity of the designers, traffic engineers, and contractors as well as the person or persons with authority who gave these types of scheme the go ahead. So many of them actually put cyclists in a far more risky situation than no facility at all and others are just a pointless waste of resources that are then held up to discredit any provision made for us.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • If I could work out how to save the address / url on google maps once I'd found the image I wanted to show (rather than my original starting point) I'd be able to post a few TfL classics...
  • A pointless one on my route home.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyj-lJbn3ZI

The nearest cycle route is at least half a mile away and headed at right angles to this road.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Ineed to send in one of our local cycle lanes - all 2.5m of it....
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Ineed to send in one of our local cycle lanes - all 2.5m of it....
    If only they were that wide :twisted: :D
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Awesome, they have the cycle path I use every other day:

handy-bus-stop.jpg

Always thought it was a bit stupid running the bike lane into a bus layby/stop!
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • September's Cycle Facility
    (credits to Warrington Cycle Campaign)
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... er2009.htm

erith.jpg

Probably provides a good revenue stream to the local plod for handing out notices for pavement cycling once you come off the end! :?
  • If I could work out how to save the address / url on google maps once I'd found the image I wanted to show (rather than my original starting point) I'd be able to post a few TfL classics...

TCS, if you use the 'create link' button on the topright of google maps, it should give you a URL to what you are actually looking at in StreetView. Some of the links I created earlier in the thread come from this.
  • The Guardian have a new Flickr group to upload cycle lanes you see, in conjunction with the Warington Cycle Campaign.

Read more at - http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... 21/cycling

Where you can see the following prime example of 'local council ticks box in amount of cycle lanes provided by painting a white line on a pavement.

Crap-Cycle-Lanes--by-Warr-001.jpg