How are you all getting on so far?

DavidBelcher
DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
edited May 2009 in Amateur race
Well, it was my first TT of the year last Sunday - a sunny but chilly day, but in spite of feeling the cold somewhat managed a respectable top-10 finish, and was only 4 seconds off my 10-mile PB, so not bad going, more so considering I hadn't put in as much traning as I'd liked due to work commitments etc. Definitely a good day's work to build on and hopefully use as the basis for a good summer riding against the clock!
Anyone else have any early-season 'progress reports' to add?

David
"It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal

Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    First "normal" 10 of year yesterday. Got a PB but not me, down to getting proper TT bike. All very much a learning experience but enjoying it and hoping to improve further. ]

Discovered "age group" records which seem like a very good idea. Give you something to aim for even when years catch up. Our club has ones going up to 76 years old so lots to aim for in the future.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Im going great guns. Have been promoted to 3rd cat after 5 races getting a fourth and a third place. Did well in the first two PTTL events getting 16th out of 70 and 12th out of 64 and last night did my fastest TT at an average of 25 mph on an undulating course!!! Getting there methinks. Keep up the good work yourselves guys.
  • Getting my confidence in the bunch back... Had a go in both races so far so we'll see. Don't think you'll see my best in road racing til July/August time.

My week off has done me wonders though, been flying this week. Next stop Elswick!

All my racing and training gets written up at the link below!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DavidBelcher
    Bit of a bold assumption based on only two races, but I still seem to be going pretty well; 9th out of 22 on an undulating course - including a tough uphill drag - yesterday morning, with some very good performers in the field (former BAR champion Glenn Longland came in 3rd, admittedly he was on his training bike with 'guards!), so that's 2 top-ten places from two starts in decent-sized fields. No more events pencilled in until April 23rd now, though, but it does give me a bit of recuperation followed by getting stuck back into the training....

David
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    This pretty much sums up my 4 races so far................

leatherproducts.jpg

:wink:

31st, DNF (puncture), DNF (broken spoke due to my own stupidity in crossing my wheel with the guy in front) and 30th.

Feeling better each week though so keeping fingers crossed that I'll actually get a result of some sort this year.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I am doing pretty well.

Last month my first ever cat 4 race and came 10th at Hog Hill.

Done a couple of 10's and 25's getting PB's for them, hopefully get under the hour for a 25 at the weekend, I can't wait to get my TT bike built up.

All in all going quite well.
  • DavidBelcher
    Bronzie wrote:
    31st, DNF (puncture), DNF (broken spoke due to my own stupidity in crossing my wheel with the guy in front) and 30th.

Feeling better each week though so keeping fingers crossed that I'll actually get a result of some sort this year.

There's a first time for everything, but I've never yet punctured in a competitive road event (touch wood). In cyclo-cross, on the other hand....:(

David
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Jeff Jones of this parish won another TT the other day:

http://cyclingtimetrials.janet0102.co.u ... &tabid=109

Congratulations, again Jeff!

Ruth
  • Nice work Jeff!

I repeated a 25km last weekend that I did one month earlier. 1:41 faster.

I was on a borrowed TT rig. Last month I rode it on my road bike old skool style. Here's the analysis of the differences:
    http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-skool.html

Coming up at end of the month I have National Paracycling Champs (TT & road race) and then 2 weeks later the Oceania paracycling champs being held in Darwin.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Nice work Jeff!

I repeated a 25km last weekend that I did one month earlier. 1:41 faster.

I was on a borrowed TT rig. Last month I rode it on my road bike old skool style. Here's the analysis of the differences:
    http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-skool.html

Coming up at end of the month I have National Paracycling Champs (TT & road race) and then 2 weeks later the Oceania paracycling champs being held in Darwin.

Great blog Alex! I have my first TT coming up next week. I will be riding my old skool road bike as I have no alternative. My last TT was 19 years ago, so in terms of beating my PB then I at least have a like for like target. I won't get too disappointed now when I find all the aero gang have taken minutes out of me!
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Thank you - it's nice to win races, especially as I am going better than this time last year (two 1sts, one 2nd in three starts), but for the most part it's been a really frustrating start to the season.

One cold and three crashes so far, two fairly serious. Being injured is no fun. After last Sunday's win I took a week off to give my torn calf a proper chance to heal, but on Tuesday managed to ride into a roller door at work at head height. Just didn't see it closing. Result: nasty cut around my eye, 11 stitches and a sore head. I'm pissed off at myself for not wearing a helmet too - I wear it on all longer rides and races and it would have reduced the damage in this case.

I think it's the curse of the rainbow jersey again :wink: I had a similar sort of year in 2007 after I won the journo worlds in '06.

I'm hoping I can get back on the bike next week.

Good luck at the Para Champs, Alex!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    but on Tuesday managed to ride into a roller door at work at head height. Just didn't see it closing.
    :shock:

It amazing what one doesn't see....

Glad it's just a temporary inconvenience.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    but on Tuesday managed to ride into a roller door at work at head height. Just didn't see it closing.
    :shock:

It amazing what one doesn't see....

Glad it's just a temporary inconvenience.
    I know, I got off much more lightly than you did.

I'd just gotten used to it being open at that time of the morning and was also concentrating on another moving object (a cyclist) about 20m in front of me. I saw the CCTV stills of me crashing into the door - it was clear I only saw it at the very last moment and must have turned my head.

Concentrate!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was supposed to do my first 10 on Wednesday and my first RR next Thursday but events of last Friday 13th have prevented all that.

I had a new TT bike built up so was looking forward to decimating last year's times...

Read about it here -

http://napoleond.wordpress.com/
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I'm currently about 10% slower than last year. Not a surprise as I haven't been able to get out as much an accident & moving house) so not at all disappointed with my times. Just need to put in some miles now so that I'm back to last years levels in a couple of months time.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • geohorn
    geohorn Posts: 11
    Had my first race last sunday in the Velo 99 league a series for vets (40 and overs!) The race was on undulating roads in Notts and was 35 miles. I did loads of work on the front and on the last lap I fancied a solo attack for the last 4 miles as I was feeling really strong but, faded on the last corner 1/2 mile from the finish! I had done too much work! but finished in the top bunch of around 45 riders! Great weather and an enjoyable race for the start of the season which made me feel quite pleased with how I performed so early on, bring on my next race!! :wink:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Another puncture today after just 1 lap of Hog Hill :x - time for a new rear tyre methinks!

Luckily, I'd packed a spare wheel (last minute thought mind you), punctured right near the car park, and managed to change the wheel and get back just as the bunch rolled round so no harm done. Would have been so hacked off if I'd travelled all that way for 1 lap!

17 trips up the Hoggenberg unfortunately did lots of harm and I got dropped with 3 to go. More short sharp intervals needed I think!
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    did Buxton mountain tt on good friday, there was probly 10-15 DNS/DNF cos of the bad weather up there but it wasnt too bad for early starters like me(bit of rain+wind)

still a proper hilly course ( 1200feet climbing per lap-11miles with 3laps) and i think i was 3rd junior and 6minutes quicker than my older brothers time last year, who got 21min 10 +55min 25 in 08 so its lookin good :wink:

photos from probably the hardest climb of the day http://martinsuesgallery.fotopic.net
  • SBezza
    Another minute taken off my 25 TT time, just over the hour :x , still on my road bike though, so not oo bad.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    been getting pb's this weekend, 22 49 for a 10mile and 57 15 for a 25mile, and some rock hard racing in on hillys course too, but still feel i am only at about 80% hope it will come good in time for the rutland support race!!
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    hope it will come good in time for the rutland support race!!

is that for the east midlands british roubaix like race? I thought they just did a sportive for that?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm going to try for 15 minutes and aim for 60 watts average in a couple of minutes. Finger crossed...
  • lfcquin
    Did my first time trial (10 mile) on Wednesday. I think I did 25.11, although the official results have not been posted on the web site yet. Pretty happy with that considering it ws on my road bike with no tri bars.

Got my first road race tomorrow. Feeling pretty nervous. Not sure how I am going to be in a group of 80 riding close together full pelt :!:
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    lfcquin wrote:
    Did my first time trial (10 mile) on Wednesday. I think I did 25.11, although the official results have not been posted on the web site yet. Pretty happy with that considering it ws on my road bike with no tri bars.

Got my first road race tomorrow. Feeling pretty nervous. Not sure how I am going to be in a group of 80 riding close together full pelt :!:

Good time for a road bike.... have you thought about fitting tri bar extensions, and how did you get on today... I would be interested to know how far, time to complete, min and max speeds :wink:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • lfcquin
    Gav888 wrote:
    Good time for a road bike.... have you thought about fitting tri bar extensions, and how did you get on today... I would be interested to know how far, time to complete, min and max speeds :wink:

Well, road race went ok. Its defo the most fun you can have on two wheels! Sportives are great, but racing rocks! You can see the details of the race here if you are interested. http://tinyurl.com/chtjwg Times and speeds are all on this.

It was a 55 mile 5 lap jobby, I rode quite aggressivley trying to get into a break, problem is I went at it from the start. Come the last lap I didn't have too much left. I finished in the bunch, probably in the top 20 (but didn't count the other riders). Pleased with that seeing as I was using it to try and build some speed.

I did think about tri bars Gav888, might go for them yet, I was suprised at the cost of them though so for now I am going for the triple hard roadie retro look and will be doing my TT's on the drops. :D
  • Woo Hoo!

I went under the hour yesterday at the ACME whlrs 25, but only just: 59:59 you couldnt make it up! Havent done this since 1991, and it was the same time then too, spooky....
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    lfcquin wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:

Well, road race went ok. Its defo the most fun you can have on two wheels! Sportives are great, but racing rocks! You can see the details of the race here if you are interested. http://tinyurl.com/chtjwg Times and speeds are all on this.

It was a 55 mile 5 lap jobby, I rode quite aggressivley trying to get into a break, problem is I went at it from the start. Come the last lap I didn't have too much left. I finished in the bunch, probably in the top 20 (but didn't count the other riders). Pleased with that seeing as I was using it to try and build some speed.

I did think about tri bars Gav888, might go for them yet, I was suprised at the cost of them though so for now I am going for the triple hard roadie retro look and will be doing my TT's on the drops. :D

55 miles in 2hrs 34 is really good, I would get 35 miles done in that time!! LOL
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • DavidBelcher
    Gav888 wrote:
    lfcquin wrote:

That is good going! I got another top-ten TT placing last Thursday (23/4/09) plus a PB (26 min 4 sec) for 10 miles on a slightly over-length (10.15 miles) course, so extremely chuffed with that - I also ride a bog-standard road machine (which is a bit 'retro' and loaded with kit that hasn't been made for yonks, but I like it like that - it was probably state of the art in about 1995!) with tri-bars, so not a bad effort really.

David
  • lfcquin
    Woohoo! Just managed a 5th place tonight in my 2nd road race of the year. It was a TLI race near Macclesfield. Managed to get in a break of four with a lap to go. Two of the guys were really strong, far stronger than me, but as the break was caught the strongest guy jumped again and managed to hold the bunch off for the next 3 or 4 miles. Another rider jumped with about a mile to go and held off the bunch. The rest was a bunch sprint and I managed 3rd in that.

Pretty pleased, but there was a gulf in class between me and the guy who won it, so more speed work required! :D:D
  • SBezza
    Well I had set a couple of targets for this year, one was to go sub hour on a 25m TT, and to go sub 24min on a 10m TT.

Well both have been beaten, and not even on fast courses either, I have had to readjust my targets, and I think I have made them quite difficult.

I would like to go sub 58min for a 25, and sub 21min for a 10, current PB's are 59:39 and 22:34 respectively.