Whats the biggest off-road ride you've done in a day?

2»

Comments

• elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    About 44miles at the Llanwertyd Wells beer festival (the long loop plus to & from the bunkhouse as only about fourteen of the sixteen bikes fitted on the roof!).

Much harder though was the short (22mile, I think) loop the next day with the raging hangover & stinking ooze from the 3foot deep bog I fell in early on.

What I didn't know is that all the XC boys went home about ten to get some sleep & left me drinking with the downhillers - who had no intention of riding the second day - barstewards! By 3am we were in a pool tournament with a bunch of friendly locals. I can still remember how bad Sunday felt and this was *cough* ten years back... :oops:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Flat as a pancake but I did a 70 miler a couple of weeks back. The Forth & Clyde Union Canal between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Off road all the way.
  • I've got a (fairly) regular route on the NY moors of about 55 miles and I guess a couple or three thousand feet climbing, not too technical but a bit of a test on the old legs and lungs.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • Mine was a ride in the peak district too and it was only about 22 miles but it took us about 5/6 hours. I dont care how fit you are, constantly going up and down all the time like that really tests you.

Ive got a few routes for the peaks that are between 30-40 miles, unless i manage to fit a tent in my bag i dont think i'll be trying those just yet :lol:
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    This ride
    http://trio25.blogspot.com/2009/03/peaks-epic.html
    My friend got it to be 74miles, which was what I got when plotted - my gps measured less. With 2880m of climbing.

It was in the peaks, from sheffield and back, we were out 14hours including all the stops - which included a nice long pub lunch. But it had some great peaks riding: Stanage; Bamford Clough; Rushops edge, Roch Clough, Jacobs Ladder, the beast and cutgate.

I like to think I am reasonably fit. (as an aside most of us were on singlespeeds)
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    +1 for South Downs Way in a day. Around 100 miles, 8.5mph average, starting at Winchester.
    Fuelled on salted peanuts (protein plus tha salt wards off cramp), figs, apricots, Maxim gels, ham sarnies, hard boiled eggs, and GO drink.
    Quite energy sapping despite all that food though.
    Very flinty at the start so we fitted Panaracer Flataway kevlar strips in our tyres to prevent flats.
  • rockylee
    rockylee Posts: 31
    mid 20's miles or so in about 5 hrs
    Peak district castleton to lady bower (and around), to the top of the beast D/H section . drop onto edale rd via jaggers clough up over hollins cross and back to hope.
    did it on the best day of last yr so it was lovely, i even got stuck in a queue of traffic as sheep were being hearded. it made a nice change for me to be whizzing past the motorists. . . . ahhh memories, same again soon me thinks :)
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • Bonehead21
    Bonehead21 Posts: 20
    Did the BHF London to Brighton off-road ride last which was 75 miles, no real climbing to speak of other than a short sharp shock heading over the South Downs.

Signed up to do it again this year for some crazy reason - http://www.bhf.org.uk/get_involved/take ... ps=1000465
  • mtl +6 there and back took 10 hrs, hey trio, hey liam, how you both doing?
    Cotic Soul rider.