Marin - bike sold R.I.P.

XxxBFGxxX
XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
edited February 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Pics:
Image025.jpg

Frame: Marin Quad Link 2008 (Designed by Jon Whyte)
Rear Drop outs Marin 135x12 Maxle kit with rock shocks bolt
Forks: RS Pikes 454's
Rear Shock Fox Float R
Bars: Funn Fatboy mid rise 710mm wide
Stem: Easton DH 50mm Vice
Headset: Chris king
Grips: Funn combat

Front Brake: Avid Juicy 3's
Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 3's

Shifters: Shimano Deore
Cables:
Front Mech: Shimano XT
Rear Mech: Shimano XT Shadow

Seat: Charge Sppon
Seat Post: Easton EA 70

Cranks: Race Face Ride XC Crankset 2008
Chain: Sram PC991
Cassette: Sram PG990 11T/32T
Pedals: Shimano Half Cleat/Flats
Bottom Bracket: Race Face Atlas

Front Wheel: CUSTOM 36 hole
Rim: Mavic 729
Spokes: Sapin
Hub: Hope Pro II
Tire: Panaracer Fire XC Pro's 2.1

Back Wheel: CUSTOM 36 hole
Rim: Mavic 729
Spokes: Sapin
Hub: Hope Pro II with steel free hub. ( i am a big lad its for strength)
Tire: Panaracer Fire XC Pro's 2.1

Weight:

Other info: This is a WIP so i will update it as i buy new parts

What do ya think so far guys

Comments

• ZeRo G
    ZeRo G Posts: 28
    very nice. how much you spent?
  • XxxBFGxxX
    so far mate about 1300 quid. got a good deal on the frame.

Just fitted a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's 2.1's and i have to say it has transformed the bike. It handles alot better. New pic in the OP.

To come this week are a set of mavic 729's 36 hole built onto hope pro 2's the rear hub will have a steel free hub as i am a larger chap 23 stone large lol.
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Nice, see a lot of adverts and stuff for 'em in mags but you don't get many on the trails round here. I dunno why though, looks sweet.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    mate they ride pretty nice aswell. not happy with the forks but for a budget fork they are very nice.

i will be putting maxels into the rear to take it to 12mm just a litle bit more stiffness
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Aye I bet it does. The forks will be good for now though and at least the bike will be worth an upgrade.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Defo mate they do there job but wil be uppped to fox at some point in the future
  • I think i've seen that bike before. In Duddleswell near Fairwarp. It was at least a couple on months ago. Maybe it's just me :?
  • XxxBFGxxX
    defo just you mate lmfao i live in hampshire man lol. could be another one tho defo would be a diffrent spec
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Nice ride you have there..... they are great frames and the suspension is out of this world. I have owned 3 marins, two of which were full suss - and they are the nicest frames I believe out there, Jon Whyte did a stirling job designing them.....

Hope you get it as you want it (forks/rear shock) :wink:
  • XxxBFGxxX
    cheers for the comments mate, It is a lovly frame mate it rides sweet. i am having to ride it into wor at the mo as my oint reyes in back in the shop. its only added 5 min onto my journey time witch aint bad to be fair.

wil up grade the forks and rear shock in the fuiture wanrt both fox. but better if ya know what i mean

newwheels this week aswell hope pro2's on mavic 729's. bit of extra weight but i dont mind i am 23 stone fpms
  • Cool ride you got there :)

Is the frame the same one on the latest Marin Mount Vision 5.8? I'm seriously looking at getting one.

Can I ask a few things? 1) where did you get the frame? 2) where are you getting your new wheels from as I've been looking at the hope hubs/mavic rims but not seen the hope 36 holed and also with a steel free hub?

I'm from your neck of the woods too :D

• Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Looks good. :)

I was looking at Marins in Leisure Lakes yesterday and I thought they looked 'heavy' (chunky looking tubing), but I've heard they're quite light.

What's the weight of your bike and what travel f+r are you getting?
  • XxxBFGxxX
    New addition

Hope pro II's with steel rear free hub for strenght as i am a big lad
    25042009732.jpg

Mavic 729 rims again heavey than normal xc rims but again i am a big lad.
    25042009733.jpg

Sapin 36 spokes per wheel again for strength

25042009734.jpg

A big thanx to my LBS G.A. cycles as tonight they stayed a little later than norm to finish them for me. Cheers MAT

First impresssions they have changed the bike handling it is alot stiffer on the front to what they were with the Dmr's may just be me tho.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Cool ride you got there :)

Is the frame the same one on the latest Marin Mount Vision 5.8? I'm seriously looking at getting one.

Can I ask a few things? 1) where did you get the frame? 2) where are you getting your new wheels from as I've been looking at the hope hubs/mavic rims but not seen the hope 36 holed and also with a steel free hub?

I'm from your neck of the woods too :D

i bought the frame second hand chap

the wheels have been built at G.A cylces in southampton highly recomend them aswell. £330 they charged me.

i am sure the frame is the same on all quad link 120 frames mate may be wrong tho
    hope this helps mate
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Zaskar20 wrote:
    Looks good. :)

I was looking at Marins in Leisure Lakes yesterday and I thought they looked 'heavy' (chunky looking tubing), but I've heard they're quite light.

What's the weight of your bike and what travel f+r are you getting?

the travel on the bke is 120 i belive.

as for wheight it is very light even tho i have gone for a hevyer build this is due to me being 23 stone. I belive mine ways at the monet 16 KG's

dont be foled by the chunky looking frame mate i think it wil shock you. the frame is designed by a ex F1 designer if i am right. jon whyte
  • Thanks BFG, I never realised you used G A Cycles, thats my LBS and the shop I'll be buying my next bike from, so good to know about the wheels, i'll get a set from them as well, I too am currently a big chap, 18st 6lbs, but slowly shrinking, was 20st 1lb 8weeks ago :D
  • XxxBFGxxX
    big chap pffftttt i am stil 23 stone mate. lmfao

i owuld not go any wear else but G.A.'s mate if ya go in there ask for fruzzy hair mat tell him geordie said speak to him he is a young lad but i trust him. he has built most of my bike. i would not go any were else to spend my money at the moment mate.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Just a quick update i have ordered today the maxles for the rear so i will have a 12mm axle not a 9mm on the rear.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    More shiny parts.

Rock shocks maxle on marin dropouts. 150x12

08052009758.jpg

this should bring the back int check alitttle more now. will get some better pics up once i pick the bike back up later
  • Looking good mate, where did you get the dropouts from as I'm looking for some, also thought you needed the 135 x 12mm dropouts specifically for the quad xc frame? :)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    90006.jpg

its these ones mate. you got a bike sorted yet chap?

i am just about to go and pick it back up in a min and i cant wait
  • looking good mate might get the maxel kit for my marin
  • XxxBFGxxX
    look who it si lmfao its the guy form the shop hello chap

first impresion of the bike. WOW the back end feels planted it dont seem to sway about as much as it used to. cant wait till the weekend when i blast it up the country park.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Looking good mate, where did you get the dropouts from as I'm looking for some, also thought you needed the 135 x 12mm dropouts specifically for the quad xc frame? :)

yer chicken they are 135 i readed wrong lmfao. well worth the money if ya ask me. Speak to the lad above called mat@gacycles lol he works there he has done bits on the bike. i am sure if ya go in there he can help ya out
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    When are you up the park bfg?
  • XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    Looking good mate, where did you get the dropouts from as I'm looking for some, also thought you needed the 135 x 12mm dropouts specifically for the quad xc frame? :)

yer chicken they are 135 i readed wrong lmfao. well worth the money if ya ask me. Speak to the lad above called mat@gacycles lol he works there he has done bits on the bike. i am sure if ya go in there he can help ya out

Ah cool, really good to know that you can get the 135mm in the UK, not just the US :)

Now we really (well I really) want to see some lovely new pics of the maxle in place :lol:

What brakes are you going for, have you decided yet? I'm thinking along the lines of the Hope M4's and pimping out the bore caps in red! would look great on your bike mate 8)
  • the new hope tech 2 brakes are the best money can buy ! :lol:
  • the new hope tech 2 brakes are the best money can buy ! :lol:

I'm looking for brakes that have great stopping power, as I too am a big chap, and also for them to have good modulation, do the new Hope Tech 2's beat the M4's for that? :)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Eranu wrote:
    When are you up the park bfg?

should be sunday morning about 11 ish chap.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    i wil be getting the teck 2's chap. its the other mats fault he showed me them on his bike and they look lush.

as for pics of the maxel in place i will get some up 2mro chap.