How do I get into road racing?

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited January 2010 in Amateur race
I don't know where to start. :?

I want to race at some point this summer...

Looked on the British Cycling website - it's not specific. It says I should join a club. What if I don't want to join a club? :|

I'm a bit baffled - it starts talking about points systems etc...

I just want to race ASAP to see how I compare with others.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    You don't have to be a member of a BC affiliated club - you can be a "Private Member" - but I'd thoroughly recommend practicing bunch riding skills with a local club's chaingang before launching into road racing.

You'll start off as a 4th Cat rider, and unless you're very talented, you're likely to stay 4th for a little while. You need to pick up 10 points in one season to progress to 3rd cat. For most 3/4 races you get 10 points for a win down to 1 point for 10th place so you can pick up points quickly if you place top-ten consistently..........which is maybe harder than it sounds.

You can enter any race open to 4th cats. These are:
    "Go Race" - 4th cats only entry level racing - but no licence points awarded for these
    "C or C+" - usually handicapped racing - ie 4ths set off first and the higher ranked riders set off to chase them with a time gap
    "Regional B" aka "3/4" - your typical road race open only to cat 3 or 4 riders
    "Regional A" aka "2/3/4" - a better quality field with 2nd cat riders

Look on British Cycling's Event Calendar for races open to your category in your area. Probably best to try a race on a closed circuit first before going for a full race on the open road as these can be a bit hairy at times with potholes, oncoming traffic, white lines not to be crossed etc

You will also need a licence for liability purposes.
    - You can buy a £10 "day licence" as a non-BC member for certain events (or £5 for BC Bronze members - Bronze membership is either £12 or FOC from your local club).
    - Or you can splash out for a full BC race licence (need Silver Membership as well) which is a total of £65 so probably best to go with the day licence until you've dipped your toe to see how the water is.
  • Bhima
    Thanks for replying in such detail!

Yes, i've never been out with any clubs before but I have a bit of experience riding in a bunch - been meaning to get out with a club for the past few weeks really, but can never get up at the weekends! :oops:

Is the licence fee of £65 a one-off payment, or is it a yearly cost? There's no (obvious) info on the BC website...? :?

When does a "season" start and finish? Sorry for the ignorance; I do 250 miles a week on all 52 weeks of the year so have no concept of what a "season" is...

So, I take it, it'll be a while before it's possible to climb up to the higher categories? Does the amount of points awarded change in the higher categories? When we talk about points, is this the same as King of the Mountains/Sprint points in the Tour de France, for example? Or is that something else?

So, some targets for me should be:

- Get better at riding within a group
    - Find a good closed-circuit race
    - Get a day licence from BC
    - Race and learn about the tactics involved (my weak point, I reckon)

Then, later on:

- Train harder
    - Get a full BC licence
    - Find a good Regional B road race
    - Start racing

Anything I've missed out?
  • If you can't get up early on a weekend you may as well forget it i'm afraid. I was up at 4am to travel to the Eddie Soens (my 2nd race).

Get yourself in a good club, try and find one that contains ex-pro/elite lads. You're getting enough miles in but these lads will tell you what and what not to do training wise, as well as advising you how to ride in a group. You could be the strongest rider in the world but if you can't ride in a bunch you'll go out the back extremely quickly.

Another bit of advice is don't be intimidated by names on a start sheet (especially if you're riding against pro-lads). People in the lower categories seem to give up and seemingly accept their fate they will be caught especially in handicap races.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bhima
    I can get up early - I sometimes go out at 4am to train on empty roads - I just mean i've not been able to recently... (Late nights doing work for UNI, training later in the day, etc...)

Not busy this week so i'll make an effort to get to bed earlier so I can check out one of the clubs at the weekend! :D
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I'd strongly recommend joining a club. I think that there'll alll listed on th BC website but I'm sure you've seen guys in your area with club jerseys who can give you some ideas which best serve your needs. Most will be happy for you to try a couple of club runs with them before deciding. It'll be invaluable when it comes to finding races and filling in entry forms etc.
    Good luck.
  • Bronzie
    edited March 2009
    Bhima wrote:
    Is the licence fee of £65 a one-off payment, or is it a yearly cost?
    The full race licence is an annual cost - it's currently £32 and runs Jan-Dec.
    BC Silver Membership is also annual but lasts 12 months from your joining date - currently £36. (Silver is minimum membership level in order to get a full race licence).
    Bhima wrote:
    When does a "season" start and finish?
    The traditional road racing season is March-October, but increasingly there are road race events being run through the winter as well. You race licence also covers you to enter cyclocross races or indoor track racing so you can race all year.
    Bhima wrote:
    So, I take it, it'll be a while before it's possible to climb up to the higher categories? Does the amount of points awarded change in the higher categories? When we talk about points, is this the same as King of the Mountains/Sprint points in the Tour de France, for example? Or is that something else?
    Have a look here:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... lained.asp

Points are awarded for the order across the finish line only, not for primes or hill competitions that may run separately with cash rewards during a race.
  • Bronzie
    inseine wrote:
    I'd strongly recommend joining a club. It'll be invaluable when it comes to finding races and filling in entry forms etc.
    More importantly, they'll hopefully teach you how to ride safely in a bunch. Most inexperienced racers can be pretty dangerous with some of the moves they pull - but that doesn't mean that all Elites ride like angels all the time :wink:
  • Bronzie wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    I'd strongly recommend joining a club. It'll be invaluable when it comes to finding races and filling in entry forms etc.
    More importantly, they'll hopefully teach you how to ride safely in a bunch. Most inexperienced racers can be pretty dangerous with some of the moves they pull - but that doesn't mean that all Elites ride like angels all the time :wink:

The Elites are the worse offenders!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Bhima wrote:
    I

You can get a rough idea in advance, Bhima - check out BarryBaines's Garmin log:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2541844

That'll give you a good idea of what's required (pace-wise) to stay in the bunch.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd get a Silver BC membership (as a new club member you could get free Bronze anyway and upgrade that - so you could join a club and it would more than pay for itself - our club costs £8 for new members).

With a Silver membership you can get a free day licence for any Regional C/C+ race. If you wanted to go on and ride Regional Bs or collect points to move up categories a racing licence is the way to go though you can pay for a day licence even for Regional Bs (maybe Regional As too - I'd have to check).

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Bhima
    Bronzie wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Right. It's settled then; you talked me into it! :lol:I'm going to join a club :shock: Something I never thought would be essential/relevant.
    Mettan wrote:
    You can get a rough idea in advance, Bhima - check out BarryBaines's Garmin log:

That'll give you a good idea of what's required (pace-wise) to stay in the bunch.

Cheers! :) That average speed is sometimes what the Elite riders accomplish - just shows how irrelevant/misleading average speed can be as a measurement of performance!
    Bronzie wrote:
    (Silver is minimum membership level in order to get a full race licence).

Are you sure? This page only mentions the "full" racing licence in the Gold section...?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... ership.asp

Bronzie - what about when (if) I reach category 1? In your original list of races, there's no mention of what happens when you can no longer race in Regional A races (above category 2)...?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Silver is the minimum you need to get a full license.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... nefits.asp

Alternatively with Bronze you get a provisional license, but need to pay for a day license, and you do not get points, as I found out after I came 10th in my first race.

I would echo those saying join a club, you need to be very confidant of riding in a bunch, if not used to it, you will probably find bunch racing alot more difficult.
  • Bhima
    SBezza wrote:
    you do not get points, as I found out after I came 10th in my first race.

Ouch! Congrats on the result though!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Ah it's OK, it was my club's crit series, that I thought I would do for a laugh, it was good to beat a fair few though, especially some of the more experienced racers.

Going to concentrate on TT's this year, so I might do the last in the series on Saturday, but unlikely to do much after that, so unlikely to get out of 4th cat anyhow.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What club you going to join Bhima?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Bhima wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    (Silver is minimum membership level in order to get a full race licence).

Are you sure? This page only mentions the "full" racing licence in the Gold section...?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... ership.asp

Bronzie - what about when (if) I reach category 1? In your original list of races, there's no mention of what happens when you can no longer race in Regional A races (above category 2)...?

Bronzie's correct - minimum of Silver to get a full Race licence (that's what I use) - Either Silver or Gold with a race licence will enable you to enter "proper races" - (In addition, Gold gets you Personal accident insurance & 3rd party, whereas Silver only gets you 3rd party).
  • Bhima
    What club you going to join Bhima?

Probably the Manchester Wheelers, as they meet up only 15 minutes away from where I live and the majority of thier rides seem to go in the areas I cycle round most often...

Although, every time i'm out I always see this lot and they seem to be having fun. :D

Definately going out with the MCR Wheelers on Saturday though - it's a 50 mile hilly ride so it's nothing too extreme to start off with.
  • barrybaines
    barrybaines Posts: 273
    Mettan wrote:
    Bhima wrote:
    I

Glad people found my link interesting!
    On another note though I raced there again last week with a lower Ave. but placed 10th compared to the middle of the pack with the higher Ave.

So like has been mentioned many times Ave. speed don't matter, I for sure can't keep anywere near those by myself!!!!

Here is the detail from my 2nd race at Thruxton.....................
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2690516
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Bhima wrote:
    Probably the Manchester Wheelers, as they meet up only 15 minutes away from where I live and the majority of thier rides seem to go in the areas I cycle round most often...

Although, every time i'm out I always see this lot and they seem to be having fun. :D

Definately going out with the MCR Wheelers on Saturday though - it's a 50 mile hilly ride so it's nothing too extreme to start off with.

Bhima, check out the member's website, www.manchesterwheelers.co.uk there's stuff on there about getting into racing with links to the various organisations. I know everyone has talked about BC so far but there's a TLI race series at Lower Withington, just north of Holmes Chapel on every Tuesday evening for 5 weeks from the last week in April. A cheaper taster for your first road racing, not far away and shorter distances for starters (35 miles)

Some of the Seamons CC guys (including Dan on their front page) were joining us for chain-ganging early season, but another road racer is always welcome to the ranks of the Wheelers :) There's also a few of us in the Wheelers doing the CDNW races this year so if you did their cat 3/4 races you'd definitely have some club mates alongside you in the bunch.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Bhima wrote:

Bhima, check out the member's website, www.manchesterwheelers.co.uk there's stuff on there about getting into racing with links to the various organisations. I know everyone has talked about BC so far but there's a TLI race series at Lower Withington, just north of Holmes Chapel on every Tuesday evening for 5 weeks from the last week in April. A cheaper taster for your first road racing, not far away and shorter distances for starters (35 miles)

Some of the Seamons CC guys (including Dan on their front page) were joining us for chain-ganging early season, but another road racer is always welcome to the ranks of the Wheelers :) There's also a few of us in the Wheelers doing the CDNW races this year so if you did their cat 3/4 races you'd definitely have some club mates alongside you in the bunch.
  • Bronzie
    Bhima wrote:
    "Runneth not before ye can walk" :wink:

Ok, so the next level up from Regional A's is:
    National B (1/2/3)
    and finally
    National A (E/1/2) - aka messin' with the big boys :wink:

After that it's Premier Calendars, and then off to the continent with you to get roasted by a load of Belgians :lol:

Races at each level have prescribed minimum and maximum distances, and of course, not only do the races get longer, but the competition gets better. All explained in more detail here:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... e_home.asp
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Bhima wrote:
    Bronzie - what about when (if) I reach category 1?

no offence, but just ride a few 4th cat races first - and then adjust your reality as appropriate...
  • Bhima
    Yes, I know that's waaaay off in the future and maybe not even realistic; I was just after the information.
  • desdeadly
    desdeadly Posts: 48
    So you can race without being affiliated to a club?

I have heard there are strict rules on clothing. Is this true? do you have to wear your club colours? If you are not affiliated to a club what do you wear?

Cheers
  • Bronzie
    Yes, you can enter British Cycling road races as a "Private Member".
    For time trials held under CTT Rules, you need to be a member of a CTT affiliated club, although you can apply to be a member of the "headquarters club", I'm not sure how this works in practice.

With regard to clothing, 4th cats can wear pretty much any cycle clothing (trade team jerseys, even King of the Mountains jersey if you have the balls :wink:). 3rd cats and above are supposed to wear club kit or plain clothing if they are non club members.

CTT do not allow trade team jerseys I think, so a plain jersey is needed if you don't have club kit.

In both cases, sleeveless "triathlon" style tops are not allowed for some reason that has never been adequately explained to me.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Bronzie wrote:
    In both cases, sleeveless "triathlon" style tops are not allowed for some reason that has never been adequately explained to me.

I think it's because then you'd have to shave under your arms too to get the proper "look".
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

I think it's because then you'd have to shave under your arms too to get the proper "look".

Or because you are not Mario Cipollini.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    jibberjim wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

from a practical perspective, some events require a number pinned to your shoulder, as well as the rear of the jersey. A sleeved top would come in quite handy in those cases...
  • Bhima
    Bronzie wrote:
    or plain clothing if they are non club members.

Where do you get "plain" jerseys? All the ones down the local bike shop have some kind of logo on - does it matter if it is not COMPLETELY plain?

So are the regulations (UCI?) very strictly kept to? Would this mean I could not use my track/tt helmet or would I be allowed to use my 3-spoke front wheel? I also have my saddle 1cm too far forward in relation to the BB according to the UCI rules and it's not completely horizontal. Are they going to give me a hard time?
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Bhima wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    or plain clothing if they are non club members.

Where do you get "plain" jerseys? All the ones down the local bike shop have some kind of logo on - does it matter if it is not COMPLETELY plain?
    Plain means no sponsors (see BC rules about sponsors being registered with BC) or garish graphics (a small brand logo is fine)- it depends on which race you are doing, but if you wear a jersey with one main colour that helps them to identify you in a bunch finish. I used a plain blue jersey when I did my first race as a private member. I got it off eBay and it did the job and I still use it for commuting or training, but now I am a club member, so wear their kit to race (obviously).
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB