Where are you with your 2009 goals

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
OK so I achieved last years goal to commute through the winter. Gimme a break Ive never commuted to that degree before and I only bought my roadie in August

At the beginning of this year I made some goals:

Get down to 13 stone
Take part in at least one sportive
Buy a Carbon Fibre bike
Go on at least one of the SCR weekend social rides

Currently, I've achieved one of these goals - SCR weekend social ride.

The other goals are looking far futher than I thought.
- I've actually put on wieght (15st 8lbs) and I'm not sure how. I was pissed when the compare your weight to a gorilla scales at London Zoo said 100kg for me to the gorilla's 172kg.

- I'm not sure I'm sportive fit and I don't want to do it on the SCR 3

- I'm on track for a Carbon Fibre bike (hopefully, even if work doesn't provide the cycle scheme)

Where are you with your 2009 goals?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    1. Go under the hour door to door on my 17.5 mile commute, including stopping at the lights (should be easy) Done. I was right, it was easy
    2. 5000 miles for the year Will be around 1000 for the first 3 months, which is right on track
    3. A good ride at the Cheshire Cat and Fred Whitton Cheshire Cat on Sunday. Hope to do well
    4. Doing well at SITS/D2D (MTB endurance races) Won't know until August (SITS) and October (D2D)
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK so I achieved last years goal to commute through the winter. Gimme a break Ive never commuted to that degree before and I only bought my roadie in August

At the beginning of this year I made some goals:

Get down to 13 stone
    Take part in at least one sportive
    Buy a Carbon Fibre bike
    Go on at least one of the SCR weekend social rides

Currently, I've achieved one of these goals - SCR weekend social ride.

- I've actually put on wieght (15st 8lbs) and I'm not sure how. I was pissed when the compare your weight to a gorilla scales at London Zoo said 100kg for me to the gorilla's 172kg.

- I'm on track for a Carbon Fibre bike (hopefully, even if work doesn't provide the cycle scheme)

Where are you with your 2009 goals?

Forget the weight thing - if you're turning fat into muscle that's OK. Listen to your trousers as to whether you should be changing anything :)

What is the SCR3?

I'm not a goal person, Reggie.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I can't even remember what mine are. But I do want to break 63 minutes for 3 laps of RP - it's probably going to kill me to get there, mind. Other than that, I just want to get back to full fitness, and enjoy lots of fun long rides with my mates.
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    Goal 1: Actually get a damn bike. Done!
    Goal 2: I want to be back to a 34 waist size before September, which hopefully shouldn't be too difficult. I want to finish university the same size as when I arrived, at least. 3 years of pizza have not bode well for my physique!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    edited March 2009
    Hah - it's my ambition to NEVER go above 34 inch waist - I'm about 33 at the moment. But my dad, who's essentially the same shape as me but a tiny bit smaller, has recently gone to 36 and possibly even 38 inches, so I think it's a vain task!
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i'd like to get my daily commute regularly under 40mins each way (about 12miles, but a has a bit of hill). i'm hovering around 41-42 mins.

i've signed up for bath standard triathlon, so starting and ideally finishing that would be good.

some weekend rides with the local club, perhaps an audax (75k or 125k, perhaps). longer rides of any kind, really.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    DonDaddyD wrote:

- I've actually put on wieght (15st 8lbs) and I'm not sure how.

Keep working on it, I went from 16st down to 13st but am struggling to keep at that level as my muscle mass builds up (something like that anyway :lol: ). Would be back in 34 waist trousers if I could get any that fit on the legs
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You could always try a 100k one which as you did the ML should be possible. What's wrong with doing it on the SCR3? That's what I've got and I've done several (2) 80+ mile rides on it and am planning on doing the Rutland Sportive (100 mile), the Etape Caledonia and the Circuit of the Cotswolds this year.

It's a nice bike and more than capable of coping.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    due to injury and therefore not riding for the past 2 months very very far behind :( going to have to up my mileage to 150 a week just commuting once i get my knee and my fitness back
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DDD there's nothing wrong with the SCR3 I hate to say it but you just need more miles under your belt, I read somewhere that the magic starts after 6000 miles :shock: I'm waiting for something to click for myself.

I think your going to have to alter your commuting route and or add some intervals, traffic and RL permitting.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    There was a thread somewhere on BR with 2009 goals, ah here we go http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... goals+2009

well looks like i'm still on track :D
      Double my annual mileage 6000+ Increase my avg speed to at least 20mph Have a serious attempt at the BR century challenge Lose 20lbs
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Chris wrote:
    What is the SCR3?

A Giant SCR 3

Mine has been upgraded with silver (carbon effect bar tape), carbon seat post and specialized saddle, Ultegra triple crank and bottom bracket and Fulcrum 7's with front tyre GP4000s and back tyre GP 4 seasons.
    DDD there's nothing wrong with the SCR3

Absolutely, it fits (just) and bassjunkie on the same bike was able to keep pace with you guys on the ML.

I just want another bike make, me feel good and superior.... :wink:
    Big Wib wrote:
    Keep working on it, I went from 16st down to 13st but am struggling to keep at that level as my muscle mass builds up (something like that anyway Laughing ). Would be back in 34 waist trousers if I could get any that fit on the legs

This (the bold) is my problem. I can fit my entire arm down my trousers with a belt on the smallest notch. I'm a 34 possibly a 33inch waist but I easily have thighs that will only fit 36inch trousers, I also have quite broad shoulders and a largish neck (16.5inch).

I need to loose weight around the gut though...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    1. Fit my new wheels Smile - DONE

2. Try to clean my chain at least once a fortnight and the whole bike whole a month. This might decrease during summer tho.......... FAILING MISERABLY, must work on this one!

3. Beat my current PB for a single days riding, currently a lowly 67 miles! - Best so far is probably the ML, but certain I will beat this come the C2C this year!

4. Complete the Capital to Coast ride without stopping at the halfway point, that'll be almost 60 miles non-stop! - Will find out in June :-)

5. A century ride. - This *might* happen in June after the C2C if I can make it BACK to Esher, this will also kill 2 birds with one stone as that will certainly complete no. 3!

6. Take the kids out on the Freewheel this year. - Yet to confirm date, expect late summer.

7. Try to go for more social rides - As I hadn't been on any previously and have now been on 1 I guess I could say its done but I'd love to ride socially more often as it was great fun!

Think that's about it for the moment!

Almost forgot

8. Win the lottery and buy the £8K Prince from GB Cycles Very Happy - Unfortunately this hasn't happened, however when it does I promise to start a new thread, quit my job and buy a house on the Embankment :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    itboffin wrote:
    DDD there's nothing wrong with the SCR3 I hate to say it but you just need more miles under your belt, I read somewhere that the magic starts after 6000 miles :shock: I'm waiting for something to click for myself.

I think your going to have to alter your commuting route and or add some intervals, traffic and RL permitting.

+1 - The SCR 3 is a fine bike :-) I think you did bloody well on the ML. We clocked up a decent mileage, a few good climbs and cycled through The Worst Weather I've Ever Experienced! I used my pretty much standard SCR for the C2C last year and it all went very well!!

Changing your route home to take in some extra miles and hills sounds like a good idea and with all the SCRing you do I imagine you get some decent interval type training already :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    my goals are to get back fitness and loose weight that had before moving to london, i've lost half a stone and am fitter though still a long way to go.

i want to do a sportive this year, i'm signed up to capital to coast (see sig) and depending how that goes will see which route i chose for the tour of the blackmountains! i'll probably just do the 60 miller but i'd love to be fit enought for the full 117 milers, which ever way i'll be passing areas i know, as it's only a few miles from my folks place, so i'll be passing past where i was born, where i got married to mention two!

long term i want to beat the very steep hill nr my folks place, on the road bike, it's doable with MTB gearing but i want to beat in on a roadie, i'll need to be a lot fitter and lighter, it's not unheard of for cars to fail to get up it...so more of a long term goal than this year!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    This is a very cool thread - it will be interesting to come back in a 9 months time.

My goals look(ed) something like:
    1. Move to London to get back to riding my bike (at least) 5 days a week.
    2. Get properly back into racing, get out of 4th cat before the season proper starts.
    3. Ride to Florence, riding some strada bianca on the way.

So far:
    1. Done, and done. The car is very, very dusty
    2. Had fun over the winter at Hillingdon. Not 3rd cat yet, but I managed to win a prime sprint, so fairly happy. I have got a bit lazy since the Winter Series ended, so need to get my a$$ back in gear and get some mileage in before the Reading Spring Race!
    3. All on track. I'll probably head off towards the end of Summer.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Didn't really set any goals but since I got on the bike - September

Lost an inch off my waist - down to 38

Improved my stamina fell walking and climbing

Only use the car for long journeys - bought panniers for shopping in town

Would like to do an SCR social weekend - Snowdonia ?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    My Goals:

Cycle at least two shifts a week to work (achiaved that today, although I did have to get a car home today because I was busy puking up my lunch)

Train for next years London to Paris cycle

Cycle the Devon Coast to Coast cycle route

Save up for a road bike for about a years time

Join a cycle club
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Big Wib
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I just want another bike make, me feel good and superior.... :wink:

seems reasonable to me
    DDD wrote:
    Big Wib wrote:
    Keep working on it, I went from 16st down to 13st but am struggling to keep at that level as my muscle mass builds up (something like that anyway Laughing ). Would be back in 34 waist trousers if I could get any that fit on the legs

This (the bold) is my problem. I can fit my entire arm down my trousers with a belt on the smallest notch. I'm a 34 possibly a 33inch waist but I easily have thighs that will only fit 36inch trousers, I also have quite broad shoulders and a largish neck (16.5inch).

I need to loose weight around the gut though...

snap (I'm worried now)
  • Big Wib
    Forgot the goals bit:

Stay at 13 stone (failing so far, damn work for getting in the way of exercise)

Lose the gut (Mrs BW assures me I am, but I'm not convinced)

Ride a sportive (now booked in for 3 :shock: )

Do another couple of sprint triathlons (nowhere near yet, hampered by the fact my swimming has got worse (mainly because I sink faster these days))

Increase my average speed (although it occurs to now that knowing what it was would help :roll: )

Cycle further (up to 85 miles with a 100 mile sportive booked in (through the mountains of Rutland))
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Mine were:
    1. Get faster. That's going to be gradual. I've stepped up the mileage in preparation for 2, 3 & 4, and I'm now using SPDs for recreational/training riding, so should be up to a whole 12.6 mph average by now :)
    2. Do the full IOW Randonnee in May. Obviously not done that yet!
    3. Not come fourth from last in the Smithfield Nocturne folding bike race heat, preferably get in the final. Again, that's in June.
    4. Have a go at Friday Night Ride To The Coast, at least once. I'm planning to do May's.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I set myself some goals for 2009:
    http://www.rainmiles.com/archives/cycli ... -2009.html

I think I'm doing OK so far:

1 Get fit enough to cycle commute 4 days every week, with occasional 5’s
    ...doing 3 regularly, still working on 4 but it's tough.

2 Make time for training and social (ie: non commuting) rides
    ...been getting out most Sundays with some mates for 3-4 hours.

3 Get a road bike
    ...yup :)

4 Get my “classic” (ie: old) mountain bike (’95 GT Zaskar) out of storage and into the mud
    ...it's coming home in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed! I'll have to see what state it's in though.

5 Motivate a former mountain biking buddy back into some kind of cycling
    ...I've been pestering, and he's up to 10-15 miles off road now.

6 Attempt a local sportive road ride
    ...I've entered a 60 miler, the Bangor Coastal Challenge in June. I'll also do the 90 mile Lap The Lough in September and probably a 50k charity ride in May. Sunday runs are in the order of 40 miles now so I think I'll be fit enough for these :)

7 Eat better (I’m not too bad, but there’s room for improvement!)
    ...this one is giving me trouble. I'm so hungry from all the cycling and I can't resist the easily obtainable chocolate bars in work. I also need to sleep more and drink less coffee (perhaps connected).
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Another goal I left off from before:
    - Do soem volunteer work for the CTC (or LCC).
    StuAff wrote:
    Mine were:
    3. Not come fourth from last in the Smithfield Nocturne folding bike race heat, preferably get in the final. Again, that's in June.
    4. Have a go at Friday Night Ride To The Coast, at least once. I'm planning to do May's.
    3. That looks like a load of fun. How many of those have you done? I'm keen to get myself a Dahon Mu for that (although I am trying to convince the missus that we *really* need a folder around the house because they are super handy).
    4. I've got my name down to ride the next one (April 9 I think). Something that sounds fun that I'd liek to get into the habit of doing. Missed the last because of my concussion...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Mine are

1. get my commute down to 1hr for 22 miles (riding time, not door to door)
    Managed 1:02 so far so it's not far off
    2. Get my average speed up above 20mph

3. Complete the Fred Whitton Challenge without walking

4. Turn myself into proper hill climber
    This ones going to hurt :shock:

5. Get down to 11 stone(ish)
    7 lbs to go

But most of all my motto for the year is

get on the bike and ride hard
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    1. Lose some weight and get fitter and faster.
    2. Complete the Fred Whitton preferably without walking Hardknott

Results so far are :-
    1. I have lost 3/4 stone and am now just under the 10st mark. My waist has shrunk to 29 inch but my thighs have grown which gives me the same dilemma as DDD i.e. I have to buy trousers to fit my thighs not my waist.

2. I am still not convinced of my abilities to complete the FW in any style.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    Reduce weight (target 12-12.5 stone) Started at 15 now 13 on course (18 months in).
    Reduce BP on course.
    Increase fitness (now cycling between 65 and 100 miles a week) on course.

Start doing some cycling challenges ( registered for Manchester-Blackpool)
    Don't lose intrest. So far so good.
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited March 2009
    Roastiecp wrote:
    3. That looks like a load of fun. How many of those have you done? I'm keen to get myself a Dahon Mu for that (although I am trying to convince the missus that we *really* need a folder around the house because they are super handy).
    Just last year's (didn't have one folder in '07, let alone two!)- out in the first heat thanks in part to a chain drop (and in part due to being too slow!). A Mu SL won last year, one on eBay at the mo.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • 1. Buy a road bike - Done, then undone.
    2. Commute by bike - hampered by 1, along with lack of other cycling gear.
    3. Weigh 72.5kgs by the summer - not a goal as such, more just to see if it happens if I eat well and train lots. Should give me an indicator whether or not lighweights might be my best bet of getting anywhere in rowing. Buying some scales might help.
    4. Stop being lazy and start saving money by doing things (eg cooking) myself - Actually gone backwards. Might be able to motivate myself by thinking of the bike gear I can buy with the money I will save.

EDIT how did I forget these...
    5. Ride the Coast to Coast Whitehaven to Sunderland in Sept - doing this with work and, looking at some of the others who are going to do it, should be achievable.
    6. Qualify for Henley Royal Regatta in July - Made it the past two years, but since moving have changed clubs and at the moment I can't say which way it will go.

I feel I may have digressed with some of the above.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • itboffin
    Very pleased with myself after only 3 months hard training :shock: :? i'm finally down to 12.5st (175lb) go me, think I might celebrate with a curry and some beer :D
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    well I can't remember what my goals were but I feel sure some of them must have been bike related.
    I have clocked up many miles, weigh less than I did 15 years ago and have legs of steel. I reckon that's a good start!

Remaining targets are an imperial century, many adventures and a 4-commute week
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Garou
    Garou Posts: 33
    1. Average 100 miles per week
    Was going really well, got my average up above 100, then the stupid bike shop kept my bike waiting for a part it didn't need, so now i'm down to around 85 or something. Grrr...

2. Get my commuting time down
    Getting there. Felt insufferably slow for a while, but now can do it in about 1h 20 on a good run. Still not actually fast, but that's at least a ten min improvement on what it often was.

3. Go mountain biking more
    Going to France and Scotland this year, so should be fun. And have been doing a few bits and pieces at the weekends.

4. Eat better
    Hard to tell. I definitely eat more fruit, and quite a lot of veg, though i probably just eat a lot in general. And the free sandwhich lunches we occasionally get at work (like today) make it very difficult not to stuff my face.
    'I'm not in the business; I am the business.'