I'm sorry, but can you imagine actually wearing this?

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    This...
    C10033.jpg
    ...?

Yes, I can. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it.

Can I imagine me ever being able justifying wearing it? That's unlikely.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I can't imagine it, no. Because I'm very unlikely to win a KoM competition. And wearing a jersey like that without having won it, would be very wrong.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Is it discounted heavily? The last person who wore it found it very unlucky.

ooooooooo.jpg
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    The laughter my wearing that would generate!

No, I wouldn't wear it unless I could feel credible in it.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I couldn't wear that although I wear team kit to be honest, I like the bright and contrasting colours.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    no - but then i have never held Princess Di up as a fashion role model (i mean like polka dots are like sooo 80's prep school)
  • Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    The picture may be misleading... they've only got stock for extra extra and extra extra extra large. You'd actually have to be a mountain, not be king of the mountains to wear it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's also the fact that the Gerolsteiner version is somewhat tainted by Mr Kohl's naughty blood antics...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mclarent wrote:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Really!!! It's a jersey???

Dennis Noward
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Got a 2004 version - with no sponsorship on the front.

It's conspicuity makes it ideal for summer commutes.

Bob
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Biscuiteer wrote:
    The picture may be misleading... they've only got stock for extra extra and extra extra extra large. You'd actually have to be a mountain, not be king of the mountains to wear it!

At XXXLarge size you'd be flat out getting up any mountain without petrol engine assistance I think.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I would if I was any good (oh.. yes & fat)
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    If you think that's bad, you really haven't looked at enough team kit.
  • i have often thought of buying a KOM jersey to wear for a laugh. If you have seen the size of me, and my athletic mountain goat climbing style (NOT) then you will understand why it would raise a smile.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    To be honest I'm quite tempted.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I can't imagine it, no. Because I'm very unlikely to win a KoM competition. And wearing a jersey like that without having won it, would be very wrong.

you could say the same thing about anyone who owns a pro team jersey....or indeed anyone who wears a footie top...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    i have often thought of buying a KOM jersey to wear for a laugh. If you have seen the size of me, and my athletic mountain goat climbing style (NOT) then you will understand why it would raise a smile.
    You could signal to other cyclists that you're not serious by wearing a Comic Relief nose. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I don't think it's so much that it's a KOM jersey, it's that it's a Gerolsteiner KOM jersey, which pretty much makes it a CERA-Using Bernard Kohl Jersey. You might as well wear a "I like Dopers" slogan.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    It's the same issue with Saunier Duval clothing really. I notice ProBikeKit have last year's jerseys and shorts on special offer with a pathetic 10% discount. Think they might need to do a bit better than that.....
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Errrrrrrm, no. Unless I was actually K.O.M.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    At last years L2B there was a guy wearing a king of the mountains jersey. The problem was that he was about 18 stone with a beer bely that must have taken some years to create. Oh how I laughed :lol::lol:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Presumably you were laughing with him rather than at him - wearing something like that is a bit of fun for those that know about cycling - and just another garish cycling top for those that don't.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Since it's a fairly "loud" and visible jersey I would wear it for the simple fact that
    I like to be "seen" out there. From a safety standpoint.

Dennis Noward
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never seen any problems with wearing tops like that to be honest.

If you want to avoid scandal - you'd never wear any pro tops.

My mate has worn his KOM out on the Club Run to North Wales a few times and he does get the p** ripped out of him as he's not the fastest on the hills - but to be honest the club taked the p** out of everyone at any excuse.....
  • you could say the same thing about anyone who owns a pro team jersey....or indeed
    anyone who wears a footie top...

well, no. Neither of those are a 'trophy' as such. Perhaps if someone turned to play 5-a-side football carrying the FIFA World Cup trophy, then it'd be similar.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont be silly. Unless you are a 'pro' signed rider - you shouldnt be in 'pro' kit with that logic.

I cant really see anyone thinking that its the actual KOM waddling up hills over here, but its plausible that you could be Cummings, Thomas, Wiggins etc...

Its only a top after all. If ya wanna wear it - wear it.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I want the belarusian national champs jersey!!! :D Are there any good riders from Belarus? Could I go and win one to save money? :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    Would complement the Vinokourov BMC very nicely.

bmc_astana.jpg
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've got a tour of britain KOM I bought in Burnham last year. I've always wanted a KOM jersey. I take it as understood that 99% of the people passing me as I plod up the hills would know I'm not a pro rider in the middle of a race.

I've got an Aldi yellow jersey too, I haven't won a major tour though..... yet!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    I have an ancient `generic' (no team) red polka dot jersey. To me and 99.99% of roadusers its just a conspicuous high viz jersey implying some safety, as someone mentions above. Even from a `knowledgable fellow rider' point of view, KOM is also not quite as poncy-specific as, say, a Rainbow jersey.
    I also have two 1970s national champion wool jerseys , Canada and (West)Germany, that I might feel self-conscious in in certain company but in general would be ok for a fun ride with friends.