Any point in triple/double chainsets for commuting?

snotty badger
snotty badger Posts: 1,593
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
I've just got hold of my old 94 Univega (MTB) and will be using to get to work.

Just stripped it down to give it a good clean and service and was wondering is there any point on have all those gears on a bike for riding on the road?

Its 5 miles to work and a bit hilly, but mostly rural. Will I get away with just a big ring?
Or should I just keep the middle and big one? Will 8 gears be enough?

Don't think I'm ready for a SS, and I want to expoilt the downwards journey on the hills and not run out of gearing! :wink:
08 Pitch Pro
14 Kona Unit
Kona Kula SS
Trailstar SS
94 Univega Alpina 5.3

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Well I think you've almost answered the question yourself!
    The SS/FG thread is testament enough I think to the fact that commuting without changing gear is indeed possible!
    You've said you have a fairly short but hilly commute and don't want to run out of gears on the downhill sections.
    How tough are the hills? Can you get up them in the big ring or do you need to switch down to the middle chainring?

I personally spend most of my time when commuting in 1 of my 3 chainrings, changing to the big one for descents and the small one for the occasional steeper hill. You could always try doing the route without touching the LH gear lever and see how things go to see if you can do it on a single chainring I guess?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I have a 23 mile commute with a few hills. I tend to either stick in the big ring if I want a high gear low cadence strength session, or the inner ring if I want to spin. I rarely move between the two so it's perfectly possible to use just one ring up front. Having two will give you more options though, depending upon how you feel on ay given day.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • I've got a compact double up front and I actually think a triple would have been a better choice for the commute.

That is, as there's a lot of stop and start, using the 50t ring means I spend quite a lot of time on the bigger sprockets at the back. Using the 34t ring means I spend a lot of time on the smaller sprockets at the back. Somewhere between 60 GI and 70 GI for stop and start.

And the gap from switching from the 50t ring to the 34t ring is quite large.

If I had, say, a 42t in the middle, that would give me* a perfect range of gears for commuting. I'd spend most of the time in the middle range in the cassette with a few higher and lower options for the long flat stretches and the hills.

* accepting that a cheaper answer would be to MTFU.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Fwiw, I've only ever used the big ring on both the road bike and mtb. I only see hills at one end. However, as you're in Cumbria, you're idea of "a bit hilly" might have us in the Deep South reaching for the crampons. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have a 14 mile pretty much flat commute and have never touched the left lever - I am always on the big ring. There are a couple of minor hills where I just drop a one / couple of gears and stand on the pedals
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I don't know if you lot with flat commutes are lucky or are living sheltered lives away from proper hills!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I've got a compact double up front and I actually think a triple would have been a better choice for the commute.

That is, as there's a lot of stop and start, using the 50t ring means I spend quite a lot of time on the bigger sprockets at the back. Using the 34t ring means I spend a lot of time on the smaller sprockets at the back. Somewhere between 60 GI and 70 GI for stop and start.

And the gap from switching from the 50t ring to the 34t ring is quite large.

If I had, say, a 42t in the middle, that would give me* a perfect range of gears for commuting. I'd spend most of the time in the middle range in the cassette with a few higher and lower options for the long flat stretches and the hills.

* accepting that a cheaper answer would be to MTFU.

Funny you mention that size as that's what I have as the middle ring on my SCR :-) 52/42/30! I also agree that 60 - 70 GI is a good spot for stop start, although I was finding I could pull away in the 73GI (42*15 I think), although I have gone down a couple as I'm still getting used to clipping into with my new shoes and pushing that gear with 1 leg ain't fun!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    sarajoy wrote:
    I don't know if you lot with flat commutes are lucky or are living sheltered lives away from proper hills!

I think I speak for all of us when I say: We don't care :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy wrote:

I think I speak for all of us when I say: We don't care :wink:
    :p:p Well I'm going to feel outwardly smug and superior that I have a big hill to get over mid-commute, but secretly hugely jealous that I can't just mash my way to work on high gears. Bah!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I've just got hold of my old 94 Univega (MTB) and will be using to get to work.

Just stripped it down to give it a good clean and service and was wondering is there any point on have all those gears on a bike for riding on the road?

Its 5 miles to work and a bit hilly, but mostly rural. Will I get away with just a big ring?
    Or should I just keep the middle and big one? Will 8 gears be enough?

Don't think I'm ready for a SS, and I want to expoilt the downwards journey on the hills and not run out of gearing! :wink:

I have quite a hilly commute, I love having my triple on my SCR, I make use of its full range of gears although sometimes wish I had a bigger top gear along the levels. Uphill I like my range of gears. I tend to be changing gear a lot to maintain a perfect balance of effort \ progress.

If the hills are "good ones" then you your limit going down hill is more likely to be your nerves than the gearing... To pedal past 40 mph you're going to need something like a 52 - 11 and cadence of over 100 rpm and thats just to keep the the freewheel from free wheeling down hill at that speed! Thats a lot of work just to keep up with the bikes natural down hill acceleration. To actually accelerate past 40 mph down hill you're going to be looking at 120 rpm +.

On my bigger hills I have to actively slow the bike with the brakes to keep the speed down, I reckon I could hit 60 if I didnt hold the bike back, thats without pedalling like billio. I might as tuck down idle the legs ( an odd habit I have, but I feel more balance and in control keeping the pedals turning even if the bike is actually freewheeling) and enjoy the break. I always feel theres far more "danger" to going fast down hill than along the level. I do however run out of gears along the level with a 50 - 12.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    @snotty badger, it depends on what you mean by "a bit hilly" :)

Depending on the route I take, I've either a 500ft climb over 4.5 miles or a 400ft climb over a couple of miles to get home, plus a sizeable flat section for a total distance of 8-9 miles.

I've a triple equipped MTB for commuting duties. The flat sections I'll do on the big ring, but I usually change to the middle ring for the hills and if the traffic is heavy and I'm going more slowly. I think I could probably manage alright just on the big ring, it's just that II tend not to use the extreme sprockets with any chainring.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Bassjunkieuk
    @DTQ - I've had my SCR up above 40 on a few occasions and I can say it is great fun! My highest gear is 52*12 and I don't think I've needed to use that to achieve it.......mind you checking what gear I'm in is usually the last thing on my mind as I'm busy looking for cars coming out of side roads! I still have fond memories of the moment when I rounded the corner coming out of the 17% downhill chicane section on the Marlborough Loop to see the road was straight and still heading down!!! Sweet jesus was that bit fun and I'm sure I could have eeked a bit more speed out if I gave it another go :-D Unfortunately living in London I don't ever see any hills on my commute that warrant using the 52*12 as they are usually fairly short and dotted with side roads!

Now I'm concerntrating on pedalling technique more I'm finding it easier to spin up to the higher speeds rather then just automatically switch to top gear!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    sarajoy wrote:

you live in/or around bristol that has hills, certinaly for a big urban area.

quite a lot here, live in or around london/surrey where the highest hill is Leith hill which doesn't get to 1000ft, which is lower than some of the valley floors... where i grew up.

still a lovely area but not full of massive hills though the downs can feel like they go on for ever....
  • Bassjunkieuk
    sarajoy wrote:

quite a lot here, live in or around london/surrey where the highest hill is Leith hill which doesn't get to 1000ft, which is lower than some of the valley floors... where i grew up.

still a lovely area but not full of massive hills though the downs can feel like they go on for ever....

I've been looking over all the hills listed on the King of the Downs sportive and really need to get out and explore the Surrey Hills! I've already earmarked Titsey Hill as one I'm hoping to explore early next month when I get out for a weekend ride......seemed to be the closest hill to me that is used on the ride and one of those used as a club hill climb :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    @DTQ - I've had my SCR up above 40 on a few occasions and I can say it is great fun! My highest gear is 52*12 and I don't think I've needed to use that to achieve it.......mind you checking what gear I'm in is usually the last thing on my mind as I'm busy looking for cars coming out of side roads! I still have fond memories of the moment when I rounded the corner coming out of the 17% downhill chicane section on the Marlborough Loop to see the road was straight and still heading down!!! Sweet jesus was that bit fun and I'm sure I could have eeked a bit more speed out if I gave it another go :-D Unfortunately living in London I don't ever see any hills on my commute that warrant using the 52*12 as they are usually fairly short and dotted with side roads!

Now I'm concerntrating on pedalling technique more I'm finding it easier to spin up to the higher speeds rather then just automatically switch to top gear!

I dont mind speed along the level its down hill I dont like it. Downhill feels as if the consequences would be greater and emergency stops far more dangerous, as I near enough exclusively cycle for commuting at peak times taking a risk just isnt worth it. Dont mind going fast along the level as long as I feel its safe, thats where I feel I'd like a 52t instead a 50t :(.

My daily commute includes 2556ft vertical distance travelled :shock: over 12.7 miles. One of my hills is 290ft over 0.7 miles, This one I reckon I could hit 60 down if I had the inclination or a death wish. 60 is not based on any maths at all its just a guestimate based on feel and how quickly I can hit 40 down there... theres another one which comes near enough at the end of my journey homeward after a day at work that is 150ft over 0.3 miles.

The killer of it all, the fact that both my house and work are pretty close to the same height above sea level its just it theres no level route between the two...

The chances of me going fixed single speed is "limited". I COULD do it on a compact, but as I have knee problems from an alignment issue any way Im more than happy to use the gears, and yes I use the granny ring regularly :D
  • Bassjunkieuk
    That does sound like a rather "testing" commute! I think the problem with downhill speed versus flat speed is that you don't have to contend with gravity pulling you along when on the flats! There was a couple of times during the previously mentioned Marlborough ride that turned out to be butt clenchers! One was when descending a rather big hill in the pi$$ing rain with high winds and cold hands and the other was on a descent that one of the other riders had previously hit 55+mph on - which through some sorta curse we hit just as the wind and a light shower hit us!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    sarajoy wrote:

I've been looking over all the hills listed on the King of the Downs sportive and really need to get out and explore the Surrey Hills! I've already earmarked Titsey Hill as one I'm hoping to explore early next month when I get out for a weekend ride......seemed to be the closest hill to me that is used on the ride and one of those used as a club hill climb :-D

i know a fair bit of the western loop as it's the area the kingstonwheelers club runs tend to run to, might be worth some sunday having a look at the eastern though i'd do it from east grinstead as have family there.
  • sarajoy
    My hills seem rather pathetic now - shall ease up on the smugness!
  • Kieran_Burns
    sarajoy wrote:

while still cursing my flatness :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy wrote:

Mayyyyybe :P

Oh well, most people prefer curves to flatness, eh? ;)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    sarajoy wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

Damnit, you beat me to it :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I live in Devon

All winter I've been doing a 15 mile commute on a single speed

Now it is spring I must say that it is fun to use a light bike with thin tyres and a triple

SS=> 50kph on the downhills
    racing bike=>60kph
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    My daily commute includes 2556ft vertical distance travelled Shocked over 12.7 miles.

does verttical distance mean up and down or is that 2556 ft climbing?????
  • I once had a good old fashioned 10 speed racer which I never took out of top gear. Trouble was I put so much strain on the gearing that I split the rear block eventually!
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try running it as a double at first and see how I go- must not give in to the middle ring!

If anyone knows the area it's Lorton to Dovenby via Cockermouth. Nice long not overly steep run into Cockermouth then a fairly steep climb back out (my old diesel 106 would struggle in 4th at 30mph, had to drop it a cog so it didn't grind to a halt).

My the sounds of it I'll be looking to enlarge the chainrings anyways, only a 32/42 at the minute. :oops:

Even the flats in Cumbria are hilly not just as hilly as the hilly parts! :? :lol:

Looking forward to commuting- just a few bits and bobs to fettle and I'm away- hopefully I'll be posting in the silly commuting racing thread soon :)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Kieran_Burns
    The only flat bits in Cumbria are the Lakes. The rest is just a varying degree of cliff. :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • boy on bike
    boy on bike Posts: 139
    After reading this thread yesterday, I tried my commute this morning using only the big ring. My avg cadence and heart rate were slightly down compared to normal (not much, just a couple of revs/few bpm), and I posted my fasted ever avg speed :shock: And I always thought I was firmly in the spinny end of the riding preference spectrum. Maybe I still am, but just had to mtfu a bit more and benefitted from it...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    sarajoy wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

AMEN (unless we're talking about cycling. But why would we do that on a double entendre forum?)
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow morning and photopgraph my commute. This way you can see how almost flat it is and if the sun is shining why I keep banging on about the bridleway, and then also see why I never get off the big ring.

If you hilly cyclists hate me for the flat ride and the city commuters hate me for the countryside I will live with it :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I tend to switch between middle and large ring - 38/48 - around town depending on how lazy I feel - only really use the 28 off road - but that's the advantage of a hybrid eh! :)