Compression clothing query

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
I ask because my lower back pain was back on Saturday. First long non turbo ride of the year and 1 hour in my lower back starts to ache, this inevitable leads to my losing posture and power, as well as being generally annoying. I'm almost certain that this pain is the result of a weak core, I've let things slip over the winter and don't have the strength there that I did. I don't have the time for Pilates anymore unfortunately; Pilates really seemed to help. I'm going to get back into core work but I'm wondering if a compression baselayer would help at all in the meantime. From what I understand that are supposed to offer the back (and other muscles) added support, reducing muscle fatigue.

TBH it all reads like marketing hokum, but I need some new baselayers and am toying with the idea of trying a Skins or 2XU etc top. Has anyone tried this stuff, does it have any positive effect or is it all just BS?

Cheers.

Comments

• Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    I've used the Adidas base layers, the one with the powerbands across the back. They look like childs size before I put them on so you can feel the compressive effect when they're first on but then you forget about them. They do give extra support on longer rides so may help to slow down aches from fatigue/weak muscles but they aren't a substitute for core strength. I've had a bit of back ache previously and I use a combination of the two now.

Would imagine your core will start to strengthen up anyway as you do more riding on the road rather than turboing - but some additional exercises will no doubt help too. One reason turbo alone aint a substitute for real riding on the road.

Is there any other issues like change in bike set-up that may be causing or contributing to the back pain? Sometimes you can try a change in bike set-up on the turbo and it feels fine but it doesnt necessarily transfer when you're out on the road
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Slow1972 wrote:

Is there any other issues like change in bike set-up that may be causing or contributing to the back pain? Sometimes you can try a change in bike set-up on the turbo and it feels fine but it doesnt necessarily transfer when you're out on the road

Different bikes actually. I've fiddled with seat height a bit though, but I've had this pain before with the previous height. I'm pretty sure it's a core strength issue - when I'm in summer shape I tend not to get any pain even on long rides, hoping that compression might help alleviate the soreness I'm going to suffer while raising said fitness levels though.