Ride Reports

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Rich158 wrote:
    Is it just me or did the main group go off at a hell of a lick and then slow up towards the end.
    Yep. In the early stages we were closing the gap to the E/1/2s! My friend who stayed up there told me the pace slowed shortly after I was ejected. :(
  • Roastie
    edited June 2009
    cjcp wrote:
    Everyday this week has been hard for me. :oops:

However, I'm interested, tell me more... :)

I thought you couldn't take bikes on trains at that time. If I can go, and no club mates of mine are riding, I don't mind putting myself in the wind's way for you and your mate in case this helps.
    What club are you with?

The restriction on the trains ends at 18:30 - so it is a bit of a rush, but do-able I'm told (he did it last week). He should be easy to locate as I doubt many commuters will be taking Colnagos onto the train. I'll try to get details of trains, etc. from him.

Edit:
    "Catch the 18:32 to Goodmayes station £4 something, takes around 20min then a quickish ride to the venue. Its tight time wise so best to have everything ready to go once you get there."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Roastie wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Is it just me or did the main group go off at a hell of a lick and then slow up towards the end.
    Yep. In the early stages we were closing the gap to the E/1/2s! My friend who stayed up there told me the pace slowed shortly after I was ejected. :(

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought so, I tried to bridge the gap but you were pulling out 10 metre's or so on me every lap so I gave up in the end. I'lI just need to MTFU next time :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Everyday this week has been hard for me. :oops:

However, I'm interested, tell me more... :)

I thought you couldn't take bikes on trains at that time. If I can go, and no club mates of mine are riding, I don't mind putting myself in the wind's way for you and your mate in case this helps.
    What club are you with?

The restriction on the trains ends at 18:30 - so it is a bit of a rush, but do-able I'm told (he did it last week). He should be easy to locate as I doubt many commuters will be taking Colnagos onto the train. I'll try to get details of trains, etc. from him.

Kingston Wheelers.

Perhaps a daft question, but does Hog Hill have a hill and, if so, does it demand anything easier than a 53x21?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    Kingston Wheelers.

Perhaps a daft question, but does Hog Hill have a hill and, if so, does it demand anything easier than a 53x21?
    A colleague who raced there two weeks back reckons that the ideal is a 25 at the rear to avoid the need to use the small ring on the climb and then need to shift back to the big ring at the top.

But then again, he is a Campag fanboy, so doesn't have access to the silky smooth shifting a good Shimano set-up provides. ;)

ps. train details added to thepost above.
  • cjcp
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Kingston Wheelers.

A colleague who raced there two weeks back reckons that the ideal is a 25 at the rear to avoid the need to use the small ring on the climb and then need to shift back to the big ring at the top.

But then again, he is a Campag fanboy, so doesn't have access to the silky smooth shifting a good Shimano set-up provides. ;)

ps. train details added to thepost above.

Cheers for the details.

Hmm, ok. Depends whether I have time to fit the front mech tonight to the commuter. Tbh, I don't want to use the good bike just yet. In which case, it could MTFU time.

I'll speak to The Boss tonight.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    Hmm, ok. Depends whether I have time to fit the front mech tonight to the commuter. Tbh, I don't want to use the good bike just yet. In which case, it could MTFU time.

If tomorrow is tight, we are likely to do The Hill again next week - I'll be riding it as prep for a race on Sunday.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hog Hill sounds good too - I work just round the corner from Liverpool Street. I'm down for a few laps of RP tomorrow night but may join you after my hols if that's OK? Will keep an eye on this thread.

Cheers,

Mat
  • cjcp
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

If tomorrow is tight, we are likely to do The Hill again next week - I'll be riding it as prep for a race on Sunday.

Ok. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    By all accounts Hog Hill is a fantastic course and sounds like good fun. Good luck guys :)
  • cjcp
    I won't be racing, no way. My legs felt knackered on the way home tonight. Need more time. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    So cj you disappear with not so much of a postcard then you come back and spoil the RIDE reports thread with your idle vaguely cycle related chit chat - I say NO!!!

Away with you ... and get this content into the road section. :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    :oops:

Weather was great btw. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    :oops:

Weather was great btw. :D

Was here too esp in Wales, i'm sporting a rather dark and weird cyclists tan :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    itboffin wrote:
    So cj you disappear with not so much of a postcard then you come back and spoil the RIDE reports thread with your idle vaguely cycle related chit chat - I say NO!!!

Away with you ... and get this content into the road section. :roll:

but they all take themselves way too seriously over there, and shave their legs :shock:

I did wonder how long it would be before comments were made :roll:

back OT - is anyone up for a trip to Hogs Hill next week :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    edited June 2009
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'll tell you after tonight! I'm still feeling Palace from Tuesday so I suspect tonight will hurt!

I have a race on Sunday week that I'm aiming for a good points haul with, and my friend is riding Marmotte on the Saturday before, so I may skip The Hill next week - and return the week after.
    Rich158 wrote:
    but they all take themselves way too seriously over there, and shave their legs :shock:
    +1 :) - I rarely feel like I can add much to their chats about 1 hour power thresholds and the like.
    MatHammond wrote:
    ... but may join you after my hols if that's OK?
    Of course! Look forward.
  • Rich158
    Roastie wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'll tell you after tonight! I'm still feeling Palace from Tuesday so I suspect tonight will hurt!

I have a race on Sunday week that I'm aiming for a good points haul with, and my friend is riding Marmotte on the Saturday before, so I may skip The Hill next week - and return the week after.
    Rich158 wrote:
    +1 :) - I rarely feel like I can add much to their chats about 1 hour power thresholds and the like.

+1 to that, I'm starting to seize up after my off, strangely it's all upper body - arms and shoulders :? my legs feel fine :lol:

I'm aiming for CP on Tuesday's and the Hill on thursday's now until the end of the season, just to see how I get on.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'm aiming for CP on Tuesday's and the Hill on thursday's now until the end of the season, just to see how I get on.
    I'd love to, but I think I'll have to alternate - I am feeling half dead now - tho' I suspect the problem is largely compounded by a lack of sleep more than anything else.
  • Rich158
    I'll see how I feel next week :wink: I may be backtracking rather quickly by Friday :roll: :shock:

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    Roastie wrote:
    I am feeling half dead now - tho' I suspect the problem is largely compounded by a lack of sleep more than anything else.

I decided on the way in this morning that this has been a major factor in me feeling like I'm ready for the Knackers Yard this week. I've only had between 4-5 hours' sleep each night since Sunday compared to the 7-9 I've been getting the last two weeks. :? Rest is crucial to recovery and I ain't gettin' any.

Right, that's my contribution to the more serious side of training for June.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    I don't know what my excuse is then, I've been getting a minimum of 6-8 hours every night and I still feel fecked every morning :shock: It must be old age :cry:

My training consists of climb on and ride hard :lol::lol: which is why I'm over here and not in the road section :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Dehydration?

Neck a litre of water and see how long it takes for you to have to run to the khazi. Pretty sure fire way to find out whether you're topped up with fluids.

I've noticed a reasonably reliable link between being dehydrated and feeling knackered.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Roastie
    edited June 2009
    Greg66 wrote:
    Dehydration?
    A lot of truth there I reckon. Especially yesterday I drank too much tea and coffee, which dehydrated me - but I drank loads of water in the afternoon and once I'd got home.

*off to get some water*
  • cjcp
    Good point. I'm drinking plenty atm though. I just ain't tired when I go to bed.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    cjcp wrote:
    Good point. I'm drinking plenty atm though. I just ain't tired when I go to bed.

I have that problem, especially after a race. It's bad enough with the adrenaline flowing, but top that up with caffeine loaded gels and I'm sat bolt upright at 2am watching all night poker :roll:

+1 greg66, my water input has recently gone down in favour of coffee and tea, time to get back on the old h20 I think.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You need a wind down routine before you go to bed then. You can't be active 1 minute and then expect to be asleep the next.

I also make sure that the afternoon at work is spent sipping water a couple of hours before leaving. 14 miles isn't that far but being fully hydrated makes all the difference to how i feel while getting home.

I think it's one reason why the morning commuet is harder as I don't drink enough before leaving the house (out 1hr after getting up)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *ambles to the water-cooler, for no reason*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rich158
    careful, this is almost turnig into the road section with advice on hydration, training and sleep patterns :shock: :roll:

It wasn't me what started it guv :wink:

Nonchalantly walks of whistling to the water cooler............................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    Rich158 wrote:
    careful, this is almost turnig into the road section with advice on hydration, training and sleep patterns :shock: :roll:

:lol:

There are two very good reasons why I never rarely visit the "Training" section of the forum. One is four years old, the other is two years old.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    cjcp wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

:lol:

There are two very good reasons why I never rarely visit the "Training" section of the forum. One is four years old, the other is two years old.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hence the lack of sleep, mine are more likely to wake me up for work when they come in :roll:

Revised FCN - 2