Ride Reports

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    King of the Downs sportive this morning - two 50mile loops, one through Surrey Hills (Leith, Pitch, Shere, Coombe Bottom, Ranmore Common, Box Hill) and the other through Kent, taking in a lot of the HOTA course. The course was a figure of 8 with the middle being Evans Cycles depot at Gatwick.

Set off in OK weather and the forecast was for showers with a high of 16. Arm and leg warmers and overshoes were left in the car. :oops: A gilet will be fine I thought to myself. The rain started just before the foot of Leith Hill, and by the time we rolled in to Coldharbour it was bouncing of the road. Took shelter under some trees and waited for it to stop. The problem was that I was already cold and wet and getting colder. It was clear the rain wasn't stopping so I pressed on. By Coombe Bottom, my breath was as visible as any January morning, and I could no longer feel my feet. This was actually worse than the HOTA blizzards, as then my feet were dry and I was at least dressed for the cold. Box Hill took 9.30 and I was overtaking plenty of riders without any one coming past me. That's 90 seconds more than a couple of weeks ago chasing JG, CJCP and JB, it was that painful.

Didn't dare stop at Box Hill, even though the thought of coffee was incredibly tempting. I was getting concerned about how cold I was. Thought briefly about stopping and phoning home to get picked up but remembered that I'd got the car. Heading back to Charlwood through Leigh and Norwood Hill, and the rain stopped. And the sun came out at last. Heaven. Stopped to wring out my socks and fingerless mitts (what was I thinking, wearing those ffs) but could only get one shoe off because I'd lost the feeling in my fingers. Rolling past Gatwick a rider about 200m in front of me just collapsed and took out the guy beside him. Fortunatley neither were badly hurt and there was a WVM behind me, who stopped and gave the guy a lft back to base. His teeth were chattering, and he looked like death. Stopping to help them had left me frozen again and the sight of my car parked up proved too tempting. Never have I appreciated heated seats in a car more. Never ever again will I set off for a long ride without arm warmers. :oops:

So just the 50 miles - 4500 feet of climbing apparently (although my computer has 1200 metres). Hot bath and a glass of red wine has restored my circulation, but lesson learned.

Next weekend, I'm thinking of riding down to Dorset where we're going camping. I'm not going to mention this to the GF just yet. :wink:

Yikes! :shock: The weather was a bit mad today. Can't make its mind up. Hurrah! for red wine though.

Are you going anywhere near Corfe Castle? If so, there's a road about five miles long from just by National Trust car park to the beach opposite Sandbanks. It's very lumpy (although it's harder coming from the beach), but about three miles along, there's a view point with fantastic views over Poole Harbour. Further along, there's a NT cafe on the beach front.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Yeah, I know this road - we're just round the corner from Corfe Castle - its a regular Whitsun thing with loads of people from the village all with tents, bikes, kyaks and children. Its a lovely part of the world. :)
  • cjcp
    Certainly is. Lulworth Cove is lovely too.

Just found out that the place we're going on holiday doesn't have Wi-fi. From a BR point of view, D'oh! From a work point of view... :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    If you do decide to make the journey post your route you never know it might attract a few determined nutters to join you for sections :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    had a friends birthday drinks/food to go today 20 miles away across london nr hamstead Heath. normally take the car which can be hit and miss regarding traffic, as i don't know the streets that well in central/north london i plotted a simple though possibly longer route, was lovely on the way in, and once on to the Chelsea embankment we zipped a long at fair old rate of knots very few bikes on the road though fairly heavy traffic, bit windy but i enjoyed not getting stuck in traffic and while a old downtube shifting bike wasn't really great in the busier bits on the more open bits such as the embankment
    she spun up nicely, lot more traffic on way back which was a pain, but again nicer than sitting in a car...
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    And it's lovely after a nice meal to get out into the air and whoosh along for a bit. I generally go for the cheese and red wine after though. Gotta replace those calories, eh.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sunday:

I bought some clipless pedals (egg beaters) and proper shoes, plus some cycling clothing. I am ‘in training’ for a ride to Bristol, so I decided I needed some proper gear to make riding a bit more comfortable. It was my first time with clipless pedals and I found it quite a struggle to get my right foot clipped in. After a few agonizing minutes I managed it and set off on a ‘long’ ride. The left clip seemed to be a lot easier and over the course of the ride I got used to it and enjoyed the sensation of a secured foot, I also found my feet were much more comfortable in a rigid cycling shoe and I did not get the usual pain in my instep. The cycling clothing had their advantages and the lycra shorts were particularly welcome, although I felt quite self conscious when stopping for supplies.

I am still a bit unsure of where to go and really don’t want to get lost, so I ended up going from my sister’s place in Twickenham, around Richmond Park five times, and home to Streatham. Boring really. It was about 43 miles and took 3 hours 10 mins. I was really slow on the journey from the park to Streatham due to heavy traffic and being knackered. The speed was crappy but I am happy to get some mileage done and most importantly – I enjoyed it. I also carried a rucksack with a stone of weight in it to simulate carrying gear - not very nice when out of the saddle on hills.

Flap Jacks seem superior to Bananas for energy.
  • itboffin
    Sewinman wrote:
    Sunday:

I bought some clipless pedals (egg beaters) and proper shoes, plus some cycling clothing. I am ‘in training’ for a ride to Bristol, so I decided I needed some proper gear to make riding a bit more comfortable. It was my first time with clipless pedals and I found it quite a struggle to get my right foot clipped in. After a few agonizing minutes I managed it and set off on a ‘long’ ride. The left clip seemed to be a lot easier and over the course of the ride I got used to it and enjoyed the sensation of a secured foot, I also found my feet were much more comfortable in a rigid cycling shoe and I did not get the usual pain in my instep. The cycling clothing had their advantages and the lycra shorts were particularly welcome, although I felt quite self conscious when stopping for supplies.

I am still a bit unsure of where to go and really don’t want to get lost, so I ended up going from my sister’s place in Twickenham, around Richmond Park five times, and home to Streatham. Boring really. It was about 43 miles and took 3 hours 10 mins. I was really slow on the journey from the park to Streatham due to heavy traffic and being knackered. The speed was crappy but I am happy to get some mileage done and most importantly – I enjoyed it. I also carried a rucksack with a stone of weight in it to simulate carrying gear - not very nice when out of the saddle on hills.

Flap Jacks seem superior to Bananas for energy.

Well done can I suggest T-Super in the water bottle for that extra boost :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    itboffin wrote:
    Well done can I suggest T-Super in the water bottle for that extra boost :wink:

Well I am outdoors and sitting down, so T-Super would seem quite apt! :wink:
  • Christophe3967
    itboffin wrote:
    If you do decide to make the journey post your route you never know it might attract a few determined nutters to join you for sections :wink:

Sadly my cunning plan for a 100 mile bike ride hasn't gone down too well at home. All sorts of unreasonable objections, such as the fact that I wouldn't arrive until midnight (assuming I didn't get lost), GF wouldn't be able to erect the tent alone, children wouldn't be able to go to sleep as there would be no tent, GF hates driving, and I'd be so tired, I'd just go to sleep as soon as we got into bed. (Actually the last one wasn't an objection, now I think of it :? ).

But I thought of a plan B on the way to work this morning. Cycle back from Dorset instead. This might even work as its half term next week and I'm the only one who has to get back on Monday evening. :)
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

Sadly my cunning plan for a 100 mile bike ride hasn't gone down too well at home. All sorts of unreasonable objections, such as the fact that I wouldn't arrive until midnight (assuming I didn't get lost), GF wouldn't be able to erect the tent alone, children wouldn't be able to go to sleep as there would be no tent, GF hates driving, and I'd be so tired, I'd just go to sleep as soon as we got into bed. (Actually the last one wasn't an objection, now I think of it :? ).

But I thought of a plan B on the way to work this morning. Cycle back from Dorset instead. This might even work as its half term next week and I'm the only one who has to get back on Monday evening. :)

Yyyyyeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I won't be trying that one. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Good luck with that one, perhaps your the sort that sleeps well in a tent but not me, shockingly uncomfortable.

5-7 star hotels all the way for me - that or a park bench, bundle of news paper and gallon of meths :lol:
  • Christophe3967
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Good luck with that one, perhaps your the sort that sleeps well in a tent but not me, shockingly uncomfortable.

5-7 star hotels all the way for me - that or a park bench, bundle of news paper and gallon of meths :lol:

I was the same - but I did some homework and got a couple of Therm-a-Rest Dreamtime mattresses. They are God's gift to people with bad backs. OK, you'll never get them in a rucksack but so what?

Looks like plan A might be back on. :) GF pointed out that coming back on bile on Monday would mean leaving at around lunch time on Monday. So I have promised it will only take me 6 hours to get from the City to Corfe Castle, and they can take a small tent and sleep in that for the first night :wink:
  • cjcp
    Looks like plan A might be back on. :) GF pointed out that coming back on bile on Monday would mean leaving at around lunch time on Monday. So I have promised it will only take me 6 hours to get from the City to Corfe Castle, and they can take a small tent and sleep in that for the first night :wink:

Come on, be honest: how much jewellery did you have to promise in return for that?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I am loving the wheeling and dealing going on here. I am making notes and seeing what gets the best responses. Why go to all the trouble yourself of having to sleep on the sofa when someone is willing to take the hit first!

Had a nice spin out on the bike last night up in to the Chilterns above the Hambleden Valley. The wind was pretty swirly and I never seemed to get a decent section of tail wind but that's biking. 27miles and 1300ft in a smidge over an hour and 20 minutes i.e. evens so pretty happy with that. Less happy that my bottom bracket is graunching like hell after the Fred Whittons deluge. I will have to strip that down and see what the damage is. :?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin
    Yokels please be careful out there this evening there's a stray Christophe3967 on the loose.
  • Christophe3967
    itboffin wrote:
    Yokels please be careful out there this evening there's a stray Christophe3967 on the loose.

:lol: Nothing to worry about unless you spot me north of the M3 - in which case please point me towards Dorset. I'm afraid my bike doesn't have the best sense of direction - and I do have to arrive in good time - to help with tent erecting... :roll:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Stupid question - unlike you rich (read obsessed) cycling god-like beings. I have only one the bike at present suitable for leisure rides and that's my commuting steed. (flat bar roadie is in a coma)

It's a CX jobbie as you know and I've got it fitted with a rack and muguards... So I fancy a longer leisure ride this weekend and wondered if i should strip off all the commuting extras and go riding 'commando' style?

I'm swapping the CX tyres for 32c road ones anyway and while I was at it, I thought maybe stripping everything down for the weekend and quickly re-fitting it for Tuesday would makes things a little easier while out and about
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I'm putting 28s on my singlecross for the Dunwich Dynamo as CX tyres are very draggy and mine are getting worn out too quickly. I wouldn't worry about the extra weight unless your ride is very hilly. There were people with mudguards and racks doing the Fred Whitton and even a couple of psychos on mtn bikes! Just go out and enjoy the ride in the knowledge that if it pishes down you will be drier than most of the other roadies out there :D
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Christophe3967
    Feltup wrote:
    I'm putting 28s on my singlecross for the Dunwich Dynamo as CX tyres are very draggy and mine are getting worn out too quickly. I wouldn't worry about the extra weight unless your ride is very hilly. There were people with mudguards and racks doing the Fred Whitton and even a couple of psychos on mtn bikes! Just go out and enjoy the ride in the knowledge that if it pishes down you will be drier than most of the other roadies out there :D

+1 I stufffed my MTB tyres commuting on them, and would have thought the same would happen with CXs on tarmac all the time.
  • itboffin
    That's one of the reason I have different sets of wheels & tyres, much easier to swap them around as needs must.
  • itboffin
    Mmmm today is a good day to RIDE :D
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Thursday 21st Circuit of Bedford, in aid of Hearing Dogs for the Deaf, 106K in 4hrs 59mins (no not five hours!). Very windy but enjoyable. Best part? Hailstorm whilst sat in cafe stop @ Old Warden Aerodrome. Came out to sunshine, saddle not even wet. Got up Maggots Hill, may have to change my handle? maybe not :?

Thanks to Trevor for organising, great day; when can I sit down :?:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    It's not quite the epic distances some of you guys do, but today I did my first metric century.
    I combined two loops near here. The first loop I know very well, but the second half of the ride would be on roads I'd only ever driven, and even then quite a while ago. It's a hilly course too, 3680ft of climbing, all spread out over the 100k.

It was a lovely day for it around here. I took it handy enough on the first loop, but it still has some nasty climbs in it, and is usually enough of a ride all by itself. The unknown second half was becoming more of a worry. I knew it included a very long climb (turns out to be about 10km of mostly climbing) but over a road I'd only really driven years before, so I had no idea of any of it was that steep, like the 10%+ bit I found at the start of the second loop on the one bit of that early part I also didn't know.
    The long climb, while it didn't have any real problem slopes, when added to the previous climbs did take it's toll. By the top I was very close to my previous longest ride, but that had been flat. I needed another quick break. The 10ish km of mostly downhill after it was welcome.
    Around the 90k mark I had to take another break as the speed was dropping fast, and I needed to think about which of the many routes home to take to get to 100km. As it happens I was going to be about 2km short, but I was pretty much dead on the bike at this point, yes from tired legs, but moreso from a stomach cramp that was really beginning to hurt. Cycling past my flat to add on the 2km was torture, especially when I could only barely pass the kids on BMX's who were barely trying by this point!

I did it though, 100.5km (according to the computer, bikely put it a few hundred meters less) with 1121m (3680ft) of climbing in a minute under 4 (moving) hours. I even managed to "pedestrian on a bike" the couple of miles to a friends house for a bar-b-que and back an hour later. :)
  • cjcp
    Chapeau! :) What a lovely day for a ride too.

Why do you think you cramped up? Not enough food? Energy drinks?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    cjcp wrote:
    Chapeau! :) What a lovely day for a ride too.

Why do you think you cramped up? Not enough food? Energy drinks?

I had a banana and two cereal bars with me, as well as plenty of Robinsons.
    However, looking again at the box for the bars, I'm thinking the "less than 70 calories per bar" bit isn't really what you want on a ride...
    Must remember to be more careful next time I'm shopping. :)
  • cjcp
    Might want to consider more than Robinson's too. I don't think it gives you the energy something like Hi Five will give you, more the temporary sugar highs.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Beautiful day for it, the lanes were packed with cyclists in even saw 3 tandems :shock: it was scalp central today but TBH who wants to rush around on a day like today, at last I was able to leave the house without a jacket and leg warmers :D

I'm now officially human fly paper, my bike and jersey are covered in their remains. Somehow I managed to convince my very very tired body to push on and bag another metric century, no small feat I had nothing in the tank today after the 30 mile mark I was clearly struggling thankfully I'm running a compact right now, keeping to form I had a couple of mechanicals, a tick which turned in a ping turned out to be a loose rear spoke and my chain now keeps dropping between chain rings when I shift down.

Time for some R&R I think my legs are calling in sick tomorrow. :wink:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    another 100k/60miles here, and again suffering, mainly from the heat, i really don't do well in hot days and it was hotter than i had expected so while a lovely ride just far far too hot, i don't need or bother with arm/leg warmers etc as i simply don't need them if i'm on the bike i'll be quite warm down to 10C so getting on for 30C today was hard and sore work. still i do have a cold beer...