Cube Ltd Pro - Any thoughts?

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Fallen in love with the Cube Ltd Pro in white and candy red. Looks great and the spec looks pretty darn good as well. Does anyone have any experience of them. I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews.

Thanks
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Got a Ltd Race and I love it. Very light and very fast, especially uphill! So far I've only changed the pedals, but will probably get another Nobby Nic for the rear wheel as the Racing Ralph is a bit short on grip in the winter.
  • npowell28
    Yeah i can't find a bad word for them on here other than the anodized paint might come off. Well i'm getting the red and white one so i won't worry about that. Minds made up now. It's the only one i can find in my price range that has a fantastic spec and looks the dogs(to me anyway). I'll let you know how i get on with it.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I owned one, it was OK.

Although IMO the Specialized HArdrock is a better bike... and a fraction of the cost.

Couldn't fault the Cube, apart from the Annodising coming off, and the spec is superb.

Sadly it was stolen after 3 weeks so i never really got to make the most of it in my life.
  • npowell28
    What make the specialized a better bike. I had a look and the spec isn't anywhere near as good(obviously this is my humble opinion). Not too fussed about the price as i'm getting in on the cycle to work scheme.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • npowell28
    What make the specialized a better bike. I had a look and the spec isn't anywhere near as good(obviously this is my humble opinion). Not too fussed about the price as i'm getting in on the cycle to work scheme.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • llamafarmer
    If you want to look at Specialized at that price point you're in Rockhopper territory:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?a=b&minisite=10028&eid=107&spid=40637&language=US

That's a good benchmark to test the Cube against, but you really need to ride a few options and see which you like best.
  • howiish
    howiish Posts: 49
    Llama - when you say light - do you know how much it actually weighs? I can't find a full bike weight for the life of me!
  • llamafarmer
    howiish wrote:
    Llama - when you say light - do you know how much it actually weighs? I can't find a full bike weight for the life of me!

The Cube website gives weights (exc pedals). Race is 11.5kg, Pro is 12.2kg. Surprisingly the black anodised is 100g or more lighter than the painted ones. Seems like a lot of paint.

http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/LTD-PRO_id_31070_.htm#anker

I want to get mine on the scales at work at some stage and get an accurate weight.
  • howiish
    howiish Posts: 49
    Indeed it does! I'm sure it didn't last time I looked. Thanks!
  • npowell28
    I went to my lbs today and they had the Ltd Pro in Candy Red and White. Looks great. Spec is great. Can't wait. Looking forward to riding it.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The fork on the LTD Pro isn't exactly generous at that price, nothing wrong with a Tora SL but it's at the low end of what you'd expect on a £750 bike. Lovely looking machines though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • npowell28
    Yeah i don't know much about mountain bikes but i did a bit of research. The fork seems to be the weak point but the rest of the spec is great for the price, and lets face it, the fork can be changed at any time.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • npowell28
    Just ordered mine on the cyclescheme. Can't wait.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Yep great bike I have one in white / candy red and it looks awesome.

A few point to remember though:

Firstly its a strict XC / Race bike so only 80/100mm travel so if you were planning any downhill or rocky stuff might wannt try one of there more hardcore variety's

Also the bike comes with s**t pedals! Crappy plastic steel things, I changed to DMR V8's straight away. Also the racing ralph rear tyre wears really quickly cause of its compound construction.

Epic XC bike thugh and for the money the kit is awesome - XT / SLX / Hayes Stroker Alex rims etc. Some GT's and Scotts would want £500-600 more for the same spec.

Take the plunge if your into XC/Race they are great.
  • npowell28
    No intentions of doing downhill or too much rocky stuff, far too scared for that. Pedals already sorted. May have some issues with sizing though. 20" too small. 22" according to the lbs may be too big. We'll see. Back up plan is the Trek 6500 in blue and white which is awesome as well.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • :D
  • I own a cube - I didn't have the cash for the Ltd Pro (I am sorely jealous of you right now!) so I bought the acid.

The comps are wicked, I got so much bike for £550...

There are loads of reviews but off the top of my head cannot remember any of the sources!

Basically, you can't go wrong. Brilliant bike overall.
  • thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    anyone notice the price increase of the cube, my LBS shop has the Cube LTD PRO @ 899 !!!.....
  • npowell28
    I hope the shop honour the price they have quoted me. Sure they will seeing as it's on order.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    Ive got the cube ltd team 08, shimano all round, xt rear mech, recon sl forks 100mm travel.

really nice bike. Its black anodised and yeah paints rubbed of with dam mudguards catching when they were on ova winter, but overall very impressed.

good for all rides for me anyway :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • npowell28
    Just got my Cube Ltd Pro yesterday. Fantastic bike. Took it out on some pretty rough bridle path and it was ace. Love it already and it's soooooooo li
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • neonf1
    neonf1 Posts: 13
    Hi
    I'm thinking of purchasing the Cube LTD Pro 2009 to commute to work in London I would be doing a 40mile round trip I'm not the smallest of guys and was wondering if this would be a good purchase?
  • llamafarmer
    neonf1 wrote:
    Hi
    I'm thinking of purchasing the Cube LTD Pro 2009 to commute to work in London I would be doing a 40mile round trip I'm not the smallest of guys and was wondering if this would be a good purchase?

Are you planning on taking it mountain biking as well? It's not exactly designed with 40mile London commutes in mind.

Nice bike, but the recent price rises on the Cubes are a bit painful. £900 bought you a Ltd Race a few months ago!
  • neonf1
    neonf1 wrote:
    Hi

Are you planning on taking it mountain biking as well? It's not exactly designed with 40mile London commutes in mind.

Nice bike, but the recent price rises on the Cubes are a bit painful. £900 bought you a Ltd Race a few months ago!

Other than the commute I will be riding off road mainly on foot paths and some rough routes. Reason why I was looking at this bike is I'm a big guy 5ft 9 and 19 stone with it and was looking for a strong bike and this looks like its got got spec with it.

I would loved to of gone for the Ltd Race but the price rise has taken it out of my reach!
  • llamafarmer
    neonf1 wrote:
    Other than the commute I will be riding off road mainly on foot paths and some rough routes. Reason why I was looking at this bike is I'm a big guy 5ft 9 and 19 stone with it and was looking for a strong bike and this looks like its got got spec with it.

Well it's an XC bike really, so it's pretty lightweight. I can't really comment on its strength (I'm a skinny git, so it's never really been an issue) but you might want to look at more of a trail hardtail if you're worried about that.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    It'll be fine, I wish people would stop worrying about bikes failing its not like they're made of cheese or something :)
  • neonf1
    Eranu wrote:
    It'll be fine, I wish people would stop worrying about bikes failing its not like they're made of cheese or something :)

Point taken.
    I will try and get a test ride if I could find a bike shop in london / Enfiled
    That would be good.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    These guys are in the lovely town of Basildon:

http://www.cyclesuk.com/

Couldn't see anything nearer but here's the link to the cube dealer search:

http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/Dea ... set_0_.htm
  • neonf1
    Eranu wrote:
    These guys are in the lovely town of Basildon:

http://www.cyclesuk.com/

Couldn't see anything nearer but here's the link to the cube dealer search:

http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/Dea ... set_0_.htm

Thanks they've got a good range of cube bikes... which has only gone and made things even harder and taking some comments on board that has been said I evan like the look at some of their Hybrid bikes as well, choices choices what too do?........

But I've also found one not too far from you, but I can't tell what their range is like

http://www.winkleburycycles.com/#

I know that seems mad, but I work in Basingstoke and am working up there this weekend so might take a look this weekend.
  • npowell28
    neonf1 wrote:
    neonf1 wrote:
    Hi

Get yourself a Hybrid and put some skinny tyres on. I was a big bloke until i lost 2 1/2 stone riding my hybrid to work everyday. Now i'm not quite as big. The bike was fine. 120 psi Continental tyres on it are fine. Seriously, riding a mountain bike that distance on the road might be hard work!

I would loved to of gone for the Ltd Race but the price rise has taken it out of my reach!
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone