Dustcaps

Comments

• Fantasia
    Fantasia Posts: 43
    Hi

Wee dust caps n brass adaptors for Presta to Schrader on both wheels - lovely.

Course - if yur wheels are going round fast enough - who the hell knows what you've got on yur valves :shock:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    whyamihere wrote:
    Does anyone else put the label on the side of the tyre next to the valve? Also if the label is only on one side of the tyre is has to go on the right hand side of the bike, unless it's a directional MTB tyre...
    Of course. How else are you supposed to find the cause of a puncture?
    :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Dust caps, lockrings plus the tyre label is lined up with the valve on all five of my wheelsets. Sad but true and the product of habit.

I was told both lock rings and dust caps were virtually redundant, the cap really being there to protect a spare tube in transit rather than being functional when it was fitted.

I like Conti Race 28 tubes but their yellow dust caps clash with the red/white/black or black/silver theme on my bikes. Continental do their tyres in a huge range of colours. Why not their tube dust caps too... :lol: :P
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    No lock ring. I've found using them pulls the tube down onto the rim valve hole. Over time this rubs and eventually causes punctures.

They don't and it doesn't. Inflation pressure pushes the valve into the hole much more forcefully than the lockring pulls it. You can prove this to yourself, by tightening the lockring on an un-inflated tyre, then noting how loose it becomes when the tyre is inflated.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I would never wave to someone who had dustcaps or lockrings fitted. :x
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Dustcaps ftw, it's all about colour co-ordination. Don't listen to the jokers who don't use them, they're probably a, Over 40, b, Use Campag, c,Still think tubs are a good idea.

Red Bontrager dustcaps are best, probably the only good thing Bontrager make. Plus they make you go faster.
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    i always use the dust caps & on my bikes with guards i use the rings too it stops the valve pushing up making pump attaching easier . my mate harry hates them both so we try & sneak them on at cafe stops :D
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Well I never thought this thread would make it on to a second page. Good to see there are many other people with deeply held views on what some might regard as a topic of only limited interest.
    At this point I have to say that I keep dustcaps and locking rings when I throw away an old inner tube.
    There , I have admitted it. I feel better now I have got that off my chest.

snakehips.jpg

1Tccropthumb.jpg
    Snakehips Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    A word of caution on dustcaps though....best not to put them in your mouth while pumping......they are officially very easy to swallow.

:oops:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dustcaps and lockrings are wrong wrong wrong. If Girls Aloud turned up in Black Assos gear, riding sexy black Italian carbon and had dustcaps and lockrings on their valves, I would shun them. I would, its not right.

Then I would drop them, fast as you like in a non dustcap/lockring free wheelset style.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Hmm... Cheryl Tweedy in Assos bibs! :twisted:

Do you not even use dustcaps in the depths of winter though?

I found the valves become encrusted in weird crystalised salty sh!t. A situation not helped by the local council hoying down enough salt to take the whole planet out for haddock and chips.
  • no dustcaps, ever. I can see a point for them on Schrader valves, but then I can't see why anyone would want to use Schrader valves..
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    snakehips wrote:
    Well I never thought this thread would make it on to a second page.

Having spent years working in universities, I can tell you that the ferocity of the debate is generally in inverse proportion to the importance of the subject matter.

and by the way, riding without dustcaps is like walking around with your flies undone! You are all perverts! :twisted:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• wolleur
    wolleur Posts: 30
    This morning I left a dustcap and lock ring on a country lane near stonleigh after fixing a puncter, so I guess that makes me somewhere between 'yes' and 'no' to dustcaps. The third way....

In some quirk of universal symmetry maybe an unfortunate roadie will flat in the same place and be heartened by the sight of my abandoned dustcap.
    Campag taste, jam wages.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Every single dustcap and lockring that has ever been supplied with a tube has been binned as they came out of the box.

45 years worth, in fact. Can't see the point of either.

+1. Never fit them, straight in the bin.

About the same number of years worth too! :)
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Does anyone else put the label on the side of the tyre next to the valve? Also if the label is only on one side of the tyre is has to go on the right hand side of the bike, unless it's a directional MTB tyre...

Yes, label next to the valve. Always. Just looks right. My kids think I'm an idiot. They do have a point.

On a track bike the labels should be on the left so that they do not reduce grip when on the banking. At Calshot one week and bloke caused major crash (two off to hospital but not the culprit bloke), he got a telling off from the coach/instructor for having his tyres on thewrong way round. :oops:
  • proto wrote:
    On a track bike the labels should be on the left so that they do not reduce grip when on the banking. ... got a telling off from the coach/instructor for having his tyres on the wrong way round. :oops:

Are you sure that is that right? I would've imagined it would be the other way round.
  • Just had a look at some photos from the recent track championships in Poland and the riders do appear to be more upright on the corners than I expected and on the straights they are vertical while there is still a slope to the track, so I guess a label on the right does have more chance of coming into contact with track.

You learn something new everyday.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The label should be opposite the valve to balance the wheel.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    No cap and no locknut . :D

I'm not being judgemental here , but , as with Smokin' Joe and others : what are they for ? I haven't heard a convincing reason to use them yet .

O.K., like RedDragon , occasionally I get a tube with a valve stem that isn't quite long enough so employ the locknut to hold the valve whilst engaging the pump . That's about it .

I don't use them for aesthetic reasons really . I confess I hadn't thought of the rotational forces and so on . Strangely , I do think of that when placing the computer magnet on the spoke opposite to the valve .

'Label opposite the valve ' ? No , I place it central to the valve so I can find the valve quicker . Again , never thought it might have a bearing on the science of the thing ( does it ? ) . It just looks better .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • mercsport wrote:
    I confess I hadn't thought of the rotational forces and so on . Strangely , I do think of that when placing the computer magnet on the spoke opposite to the valve .

Me too, the spoke magnet always goes opposite the valve. A bit worried that my rear wheel is unbalanced ;-)
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I WILL use them, and I WILL use novelty ones if I so wish, you dustcap facist! :wink:

.......I have chrome skull ones with red eyes on my van ..... :D
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I use them to keep the valve clear of the rim when attaching a pump and to keep dust out of the valve. Call me crazy :lol:
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Actually , now we're on the subject of funky looking dustcaps ( for road bikes they don't exist ) , having just bought a Mercedes CLK and still at the stage where I care what it looks like ( really ! ) , I confess to already thinking of 'upgrading' ( :P ) the 18" AMG alloys with some of these super expensive options that I see are available on ebay :

c86e_1.jpg
    e388_1.jpg
    3d1c_1.jpg

The first pic. has the virtue of shrouding the lousy looking Schrader valve tube entirely . The last pic. is actually an AMG set yet don't look quite right to me . Oh , .. I'm torn .

O.K. , I'm kidding . Thought I'd extend this nonsense into an area where , quite seriously , I was headed until a few days ago . Might yet . :)
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Ax
    Ax Posts: 36
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Oh dear - My dustcaps are see through so how are you going to know whether to wave at me or not Joe? :wink:
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Focus Variado Expert
  • Ax wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Oh dear - My dustcaps are see through so how are you going to know whether to wave at me or not Joe? :wink:

Good post
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Ax wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Good post

Holy thread resurgence
  • infineto
    infineto Posts: 11
    dustcaps on and tyre pressure rating inline with the valve so I don't have to search round the tyre for tps
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    After ride london i have a yellow one...
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Does anyone have the ones that light up?