Dustcaps

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited August 2014 in The bottom bracket
Well, the valve debate seems to have been settled in favour of Presta - quite right too. I mean, you find Presta valves on all sorts of nice, sexy bikes. You find Schrader valves on cheapo Apollo MTBs, pushchairs and caravans...

Anyway, this got me thinking, what about dustcaps?

Many years ago I remember having them removed from my bike for me (and most likely chucked in a hedge) by an elder, wiser clubmate, telling me that they were simply not the 'done thing'. I can see the point as well - rotating weight and all that.

Anyway, what´s the Cake Stop consensus on this one? Dustcaps or not?

It is important.

Oh, and if you've got novelty dustcaps that look like bullets, or dice, or skulls, then please don't bother posting. Your opinion has no value here. Thank you...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I use them. They keep the threaded bit of the valve clean, making unscrewing it easy, and weight less than a gram for both.
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    Dustcaps everytime as whyamihere says - 'elder, wiser clubmate' - read: bumptious old fart.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I always forget to put them back on - so I dont bother with them.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    whyamihere wrote:
    I use them. They keep the threaded bit of the valve clean, making unscrewing it easy, and weight less than a gram for both.

+1. It satisfies my OCD.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    Always have them on, they keep the dust out!
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I use them. If I can find the coloured plastic ones, then I'll use them. Otherwise *looks around to make sure no-one's looking* I use the bullet shaped ones.

Colour coordination is just sooooo important. :D
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    yes - I use them - i particularly like the yellow coloured ones with continental inner tubes - they add a little touch of 'different' to my red/black/white colourscheme
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I'm a dustcap man myself.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    A valve without dustcaps is plain irresponsible. It's like, well, frankly, it's like not wearing protection when courting a previously unknown and soon to be forgotten lady! If I were you, I'd have thrown the syphilis-ridden old letch into the hedge after the dustcaps! :evil:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    I keep the little lock ring thing on as well at the dustcap, that must be 2 grams of rotating weight, it's a wonder the wheels can still turn round.
    /cough
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    pneumatic wrote:
    A valve without dustcaps is plain irresponsible. It's like, well, frankly, it's like not wearing protection when courting a previously unknown and soon to be forgotten lady! If I were you, I'd have thrown the syphilis-ridden old letch into the hedge after the dustcaps! :evil:

This made me laugh .....................great stuff
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Every single dustcap and lockring that has ever been supplied with a tube has been binned as they came out of the box.

45 years worth, in fact. Can't see the point of either.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I am "lockring thingy" and dustcap free....

The "lockring thingy" is only really useful when the valve stem is not much longer than the rim and is handy to get the pump on - but as I only really use rather low section wheels so it is never an issue.

I have bike OCD - if it doesn't need to be on the bike it won't be....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I like my dustcap and lock ring where they were intended to be, fitted to the valve, and it's made no difference to my riding........

I'm still crap :wink:

But I can't see the removal of either making much difference so they can stay where they are, if nothing else it shows that I don't take my riding too seriously.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Ash_ wrote:
    . I mean, you find Presta valves on all sorts of nice, sexy bikes. You find Schrader valves on cheapo Apollo MTBs, pushchairs and caravans...

Hey you forgot about Wheelbarrows......You cannot get high pressure valves for them.Used my track pump on my barrow last week ,got carried away.....BANG
    bagpuss
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I collected my bike it was without lockrings and dustcaps, so I assumed that was the done thing. I might put some on now I've read that it's acceptable; I ride year round so it makes sense to keep the salt and road crap off the valves. I can also see how a lockring might make it easier getting the pump connector on to the valve, but I wouldn't leave them on permanently cos I'v heard of them rattling.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Always lose them so don't bother, never had any problems but wouldn't care either way and that ring jobby definately helps with short valves.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    keef66 wrote:
    When I collected my bike it was without lockrings and dustcaps, so I assumed that was the done thing. I might put some on now I've read that it's acceptable; I ride year round so it makes sense to keep the salt and road crap off the valves. I can also see how a lockring might make it easier getting the pump connector on to the valve, but I wouldn't leave them on permanently cos I'v heard of them rattling.

Rattling :shock: ? Perhaps it will cause my whole bike to resonate and then collapse underneath me :lol: ? Im avec dust cap and lock ring and always will be until some one points at me and laughs at which point they shall be removed and cast asunder.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think dust caps are more important, protect valve's from gunk so the pump seals okay, and protects the delicate bit from corrosion and damage.

Lock rings are I presume, less essential, as some tubes come with un-threaded stems and no lock rings now, however I notice that my valve lock rings are designed so that they also allow fitment of a presta valve to a schrader hole without an adapter - quite nifty.

I do like lock rings though, I don't like the idea that the stem can wiggle about and maybe weaken the joint with the tube.

Fashion, etc, irrelevant to me.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I was also informed on a club ride that they're not the done thing, although the reason I was given was quicker tube changes when you have 20 shivering people waiting for you. I duly took them off as I'm not too fussed either way- I do have them on my MTB though and am also partial to the yellow caps on Conti tubes 8)
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Having dustcaps on a valve is like wearing a jacket with the label still attached :shock:

You just don't.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    For those who are worried about the state of their valves and the massive effect on performance of having extra rotating weight out near the rim, I have the perfect solution: Carbon dustcaps. £20 each or a pair for £40 (bargain!). No colour options I'm afraid - the paint would weigh too much thus rendering them pointless.
  • Stewie Griffin
    nasahapley wrote:
    For those who are worried about the state of their valves and the massive effect on performance of having extra rotating weight out near the rim, I have the perfect solution: Carbon dustcaps. £20 each or a pair for £40 (bargain!). No colour options I'm afraid - the paint would weigh too much thus rendering them pointless.

I will have a pair if you are able to supply titanium lockrings too? The normal lockrings with Carbon dustcaps would just be stupid :lol: .
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    No lock ring. I've found using them pulls the tube down onto the rim valve hole. Over time this rubs and eventually causes punctures.

I always use dust caps in the winter. When I first started cycling my clubs 'old fart' told me to ditch them. When I eventually punctured, I couldn't undo the bloody valve cos it was salted up.

I always take them off in the summer though.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Does anyone else put the label on the side of the tyre next to the valve? Also if the label is only on one side of the tyre is has to go on the right hand side of the bike, unless it's a directional MTB tyre...
  • Stewie Griffin
    Does anyone else put the label on the side of the tyre next to the valve? Also if the label is only on one side of the tyre is has to go on the right hand side of the bike, unless it's a directional MTB tyre...

I would rather be ridiculed for having dust caps and lock rings than for my tyre labels not being correctly aligned with the valve.
  • Mr*Paul
    Mr*Paul Posts: 33
    I would suggest, if your beard is touching your chest and your panniers are colour coded to your CTC club gear ...I'd go for the label alignment over the lack of dust cap if a chioce is to be made out of the two! However, if your new to club riding, under 30 and beard less, trying to impress your peers and cycling chums alike I'd promptly start riding a mtb on slicks and wait for the reaction !!!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    dust caps and lock rings are for the type of person who wears their mobile phone on their belt in a faux leather case

for that reason im out
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Does anyone else put the label on the side of the tyre next to the valve? Also if the label is only on one side of the tyre is has to go on the right hand side of the bike, unless it's a directional MTB tyre...
    Of course. How else are you supposed to find the cause of a puncture?
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Well it's good to know you're out.

chucking away dustcaps isnt the same as buying a faux leather case though