long distance training

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
I am training for a 100 mile ride and i was wandering what the best training distance for it would be, because when you train for a 10 mile time trial you do intervals of 20 minutes. are long intervals good for it.
thanks

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    riding 100 miles or 5/6 hours solo would be a good start...
  • love2ride wrote:
    I am training for a 100 mile ride and i was wandering what the best training distance for it would be, because when you train for a 10 mile time trial you do intervals of 20 minutes. are long intervals good for it.
    thanks

Just put long steady miles in building up over a period of time, it's no big deal, if you're determined you'll manage it easily.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Just do plenty of rides 60-80mlies as well as shorter rides in a month or so.Once you've done this 100miles is not so hard as you think.It's all about paceing yourself ,as Softlad said 5/6hours is a comfortable speed.
  • Apart from longer rides, shorter more intense efforts are valuable as well.
  • As your first point of call, I'd suggest you get hold of a copy of 'The Long Distance Cyclists Handbook' by Simon Doughty. There's more valuable information in that than you'll ever gather off the 'net.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Keeping a mix of short and intense plus medium and easy through the week, with a Long ride which is comfortable at the weekend worked for me when I first started cycling. I added about 20% to the distance of my long ride each week, although I've since been told that 10% is possibly better. I didn't change anything mid-week. Certainly I felt stiff and sore after one ride of 56 miles which was an increase of 14 miles over the previous week (so more than the 20%) but when I covered the same distance the following Sunday I felt absolutely fine. The key thing I found was nutrition and comfort. If you sort these two things out, pedalling at an easy intensity and not worrying about speed means you only need to add the mental tenacity to ride for however long it takes to get round. Once you've managed the distance, then perhaps you can look at doing it quicker depending on how easy/hard you felt it was.

This months Cycling Plus has a 12 week programme and good article in it for getting to the ton (Page 100 - 107).
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    :oops: Will re-read the c+ article again as I couldn't make head nor tail of it. :oops: