Kléber wrote:
    Thanks for telling me what to do and what I should talk about :wink:

No problem. Glad to help. :wink::wink:

Dennios Noward
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    teagar wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Sounds to me like "teagar" is only out there to raise a little hell. You know, get drunk, maybe get in a fight, shout obsenities, things like that. Do you really think he cares about the racing and or doping or any rider in particular. He's just out there to be a rowdy more than likely.

Dennis Noward

It's taking me some effort not to be a bit offended by that comment.

I'm as passionate about pro-cycling as anyone is here, I don't drink, and I don't like it rowdy.

I'm tempted to shout obsenities at you, but that's personal :wink:

I certainly don't swear at the pro-cyclists - I like to leave that up to their DS. I just show my depreciation.

Shame you make so many assumptions on so little evidence!

Sorry, I go to far on occasion(or maybe even more often than that). To be truthful, when
    I read your post and you talked about getting the crowd going, my mind, for whatever reason, immediately thought of the somewhat famous(or infamous) British football fans
    of a few years back. I guess I thought of them because it was well publicised here in the states. Anyway it would seem that I engaged my mouth(so to speak) before my brain and
    that was the result. Sorry, I've done this before and will probably do it again and end up getting thrown off the site(much to many peoples delight, I'm sure).

Dennis Noward
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    dennisn wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Sounds to me like "teagar" is only out there to raise a little hell. You know, get drunk, maybe get in a fight, shout obsenities, things like that. Do you really think he cares about the racing and or doping or any rider in particular. He's just out there to be a rowdy more than likely.

Dennis Noward

It's taking me some effort not to be a bit offended by that comment.

I'm as passionate about pro-cycling as anyone is here, I don't drink, and I don't like it rowdy.

I'm tempted to shout obsenities at you, but that's personal :wink:

I certainly don't swear at the pro-cyclists - I like to leave that up to their DS. I just show my depreciation.

Shame you make so many assumptions on so little evidence!

Sorry, I go to far on occasion(or maybe even more often than that). To be truthful, when
    I read your post and you talked about getting the crowd going, my mind, for whatever reason, immediately thought of the somewhat famous(or infamous) British football fans
    of a few years back. I guess I thought of them because it was well publicised here in the states. Anyway it would seem that I engaged my mouth(so to speak) before my brain and
    that was the result. Sorry, I've done this before and will probably do it again and end up getting thrown off the site(much to many peoples delight, I'm sure).

Dennis Noward

S'ok. Apology accepted :)
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Dennis:
    You are now doing exactly what you continually preach at us not to do.
    Judging a person without knowing them.
    All I am prepared to say is, you couldn't be more wrong......again.
    So frustrating. There's a lot I'd like to say.

Anyhow, as this "debate" has moved sideways, away from the issues and into speculative insults, I'm invoking forum Omerta.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    aurelio wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Similarly, just look how cool the French were to French winners like Anquetil who they felt didn't embody the qualities they felt a true Tour 'champion' should have. In short to the French winning is not the most important thing, nor who wins, it is how you win that really counts.

Im curious as to what constitues a "true tour champion" would you say Roger Walkowiak is a true tour champion ? or does the doping stories asurrounding the likes of Eddy Merckyx and Joop Zotemelk ,Fausto Coppi,Bernard Thevenet,Marco Pantani,Bjarne Riis,Pedro Delgado ,Lance Armstrong make them true tour champions ? does LAs 7 victories make him a true tour champion ? does Maurice Garin and his train exploits make him a true tour champion. also you fail to take into account when Master Jacques won his tour the 4 previous Tours were won by a Frenchman so they hardly in a position like they are today in terms of being critical. If he was riding today he would be a national hero drugs or otherwise.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Master Jacques... If he was riding today he would be a national hero drugs or otherwise.
    Yeah right! Just like Virenque is a French 'national hero'. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMaa9Ui8JS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpcfVpBBEjg
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    aurelio wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Master Jacques... If he was riding today he would be a national hero drugs or otherwise.

Oh come on, that's just ludicrous as evidence. Les Guignols has hammered everyone of note in French public life, it's hardly like they singled out Virenque for anything different.

It's just as easy to find a Guignol clip taking the piss out of Pantani, Armstrong, Merckx and Coppi and pretty much the whole of cycling as covered on French telly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTZ-e-jhn-4
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Virenque is regarded as a joke in France. He won "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" on French TV and apparently to deny everything despite full evidence is called "doing a Virenque" now. Far from being looked up as one of France's best Grand Tour riders, he's seen as a national idiot.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Virenque is regarded as a joke in France. He won "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" on French TV and apparently to deny everything despite full evidence is called "doing a Virenque" now. Far from being looked up as one of France's best Grand Tour riders, he's seen as a national idiot.
    In one French poll he was also voted the second least admirable person in France after the right-wing politician Le Pen!
  • moray_gub
    aurelio wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

To compare Virenque with Master Jacques is just ludicrous one is a 5 times TDF winner one is just a doped up buffoon. Absolutely no comparison other than they both rode a bike If Anquetil was riding today and had won the Tour 5 times he would be the biggest star in French sport.

MG
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:

Anyway who regards RV as a national hero ?

MG
  • moray_gub
    leguape wrote:
    aurelio wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Oh come on, that's just ludicrous as evidence. Les Guignols has hammered everyone of note in French public life, it's hardly like they singled out Virenque for anything different.

It's just as easy to find a Guignol clip taking the wee-wee out of Pantani, Armstrong, Merckx and Coppi and pretty much the whole of cycling as covered on French telly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTZ-e-jhn-4

Next he will be using Spitting Image as evidence .

MG
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Moray Gub wrote:
    aurelio wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Similarly, just look how cool the French were to French winners like Anquetil who they felt didn't embody the qualities they felt a true Tour 'champion' should have. In short to the French winning is not the most important thing, nor who wins, it is how you win that really counts.

Im curious as to what constitues a "true tour champion" would you say Roger Walkowiak is a true tour champion ? or does the doping stories asurrounding the likes of Eddy Merckyx and Joop Zotemelk ,Fausto Coppi,Bernard Thevenet,Marco Pantani,Bjarne Riis,Pedro Delgado ,Lance Armstrong make them true tour champions ? does LAs 7 victories make him a true tour champion ? does Maurice Garin and his train exploits make him a true tour champion. also you fail to take into account when Master Jacques won his tour the 4 previous Tours were won by a Frenchman so they hardly in a position like they are today in terms of being critical. If he was riding today he would be a national hero drugs or otherwise.

MG

Oh, come on now MG, you know what a contrary lot the French are. Don't go looking for logical explanations over the channel.
  • If you have "done all that" then get out and "do" some more. All this of this bitching is doing
    no one any good. Not you, not me, not them(whomever "them" is).
    Yes, our local club cycling is "miles" from "chilled blood" but I'm betting your local scene
    is much the same. You and I aren't involved in doping. I'm not a Pro and neither are you. So do what you can to promote "grass roots" cycling and leave the Pro tour to figure out it's
    own problems. Your local club racing scene needs you more than the Pro's do.

Dennis Noward

Well maybe instead of trying to convince us not to talk about doping, which so far hasnt worked and is unlikely to why dont you go out and do more. Its funny that while you tell us how unintrested you are in doping i rarely see a post from you that isnt in a thread about it. :wink:
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you have "done all that" then get out and "do" some more. All this of this bitching is doing
    no one any good. Not you, not me, not them(whomever "them" is).
    Yes, our local club cycling is "miles" from "chilled blood" but I'm betting your local scene
    is much the same. You and I aren't involved in doping. I'm not a Pro and neither are you. So do what you can to promote "grass roots" cycling and leave the Pro tour to figure out it's
    own problems. Your local club racing scene needs you more than the Pro's do.

Dennis Noward

Well maybe instead of trying to convince us not to talk about doping, which so far hasnt worked and is unlikely to why dont you go out and do more. Its funny that while you tell us how unintrested you are in doping i rarely see a post from you that isnt in a thread about it. :wink:

There are other post that don't talk about doping????? Really????

Dennis Noward
  • Yes actually quite alot.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.