Brian Smith commentary

campagchris
campagchris Posts: 773
edited February 2009 in Pro race
What a nice refreshing change to listen to the commentary on TOC.I think Brian has done a great job.Maybe with big Magnus onboard as well duffers might be pensioned off :roll:

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    He blew it for me when he referred to "Big" Jens Voigt. Paul Sherwen has a lot to answer for.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    He's really grown on me and often has a lot of good facts at his fingertips - makes a nice change.

I'm vaguely related to him too - pretty sure he's my cousin's cousin.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Bronzie wrote:
    He blew it for me when he referred to "Big" Jens Voigt. Paul Sherwen has a lot to answer for.

Isn't George Hincapie the only rider who is "Big"?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well, before his retirement, Magnus Backstedt was "Big Magnus", and quite rightly so.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Brian S's former co-commentator on the dreadful cycling.tv often pointed out that Ben Greenwood's first name was actually "Young"
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Can't stand the TOC commentary.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Brian Smith and David Harmon are my favourite commentary team now. I hope they can keep them together on Eurosport. Anyway, having listened to the US commentators via the TOC WebSite, we are well off for cycling commentators in the UK !!!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Ive been quite impressed with Brian this week has a lot of insight into whats going on and reads a race well .Unfairly he was being called a w*nker in here a few days ago.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    k-dog wrote:
    I'm vaguely related to him too - pretty sure he's my cousin's cousin.

So you're Brian Smith?? :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    Thanks for all comments guys.

We can't please everyone. We would be fooling ourselves if we thought we could.

Cousin's cousin? curious....
  • Credit where credit's due Brian.Have they got you down for anymore commentary? :wink:
  • Ooh, a celebrity on our forum. How cool.

Eurosport is always top-notch. It's the only reason we have Sky in our house.

Has Sean Kelly retired from commentary though? It took me a while, but I eventually warmed up to his commentary. It would be missed.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Really enjoying the commentary - think they're doing a superb job given the limitations of the host ToC camera work/non-camera work. How can such a big race have so many fundamental technical problems? It's amateurish.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    BrianS wrote:

I've been enjoying the commentary Brian, especially all the "have you ridden?" conversations :lol:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    hammerite wrote:

I've been enjoying the commentary Brian, especially all the "have you ridden?" conversations :lol:

What!?!
    :shock:

(Reminds me of the famous quote from jockey turned racing commentator, Ted Walsh:, "This is a really lovely horse, I once rode her mother"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Somebody please tell me i wasn't the only person to see that fan waving his small, nappy wearing child in the riders facers on the climb :shock: tonight??!!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd like to see Brian and Sean Kelly given a go in partnership - I'm a Harmon fan (well OK not a fan as such, I don' t have pictures of him on my walls, but I think he's a good commentator) but it'd be good to see mix the team up a bit sometimes and I reckon Brian could do the Harmon role.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've enjoyed Brian's commentary - possibley because the wife thinks he sounds like Frankie Boyle and I keep expecting him to say something reall innapropriate. Oh well maybe next time eh? :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    Somebody please tell me i wasn't the only person to see that fan waving his small, nappy wearing child in the riders facers on the climb :shock: tonight??!!

You weren't the only one - he was definitely waving his small, nappy wearing child in the riders faces.Total nutter.
  • Moomaloid
    Thank god! LOL.. and only in America can they take the whole 'I'm gonna dress like an idiot and try and get camera time' run to a whole new level. These idiots need a good thrashing!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Bronzie wrote:
    I'll let him off for that one indiscretion. :wink:

His commentary on stage 8 was spot on, especially with regard to the disappointing lack of action from the likes of Danielson. An opportunity to blew the race wide open was lost there I think.
  • kourou
    kourou Posts: 40
    DaveyL wrote:
    Well, before his retirement, Magnus Backstedt was "Big Magnus", and quite rightly so.

Doesn't Magnus already mean great/big - from the Latin?
  • Moomaloid wrote:

I saw him too, It must be a michael jackson thing.

Huge self restraint here not to be the one that starts the string of Michael Jackson jokes
    :shock:
  • Harp
    Harp Posts: 79
    Another thumbs up for the commentary team on the ToC :D

I particularly found it interesting when Brian described why riders were helping out other teams and the general tactics employed.
    I think commentators should follow this lead and give an insight into not only what is happening but WHY it is happening.
    Sean Kelly is another good example of this - once you get over the subtleties of the accent !
  • Did anyone else get fed up with Brian Smith saying "deescent" instead of "descent" ? Or how many times did he say that he had been "for a few beers" with someone famous ?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    BrianS wrote:

i thought your commentary was quite good...

I remember Roche commentating on the tour for the first year or so was good as well but after a while the sheer hours of sitting in the booth leads to verbal drift...

3 years in he was talking the same drivel about hotels and car journeys that befalls them all...

they should rotate the supporting commentators so they don't become jaded
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    He said waht needed to be said on the occasions when Harmon was too timid - like the blatant QS/Astana collusion, and his friendship for Armstrong didn't stop him saying he thought he should have stayed retired for the good of the new stars in the sport. I thought he was going to be more of the same old obsequious gush like Harmon whenever Armstrong hove into view but he was refreshingly objective - let us know where he stood but didn't let it colour his commentary. Harmon came across as a bossy, unclued up buffoon in comparison. Would definitely like to hear more of Mr Smith on ES.
  • Moomaloid
    Yeah i thought BS (ha!) was great, and it couldn't've been an easy job with the shocking coverage from the US. Got a bit tired of them mentioning the fact he once rode for Discovery all the time, but loved the stories so we'll let him off that. I love Harmon's commentary, and with BS and the Kelly think we've got a great team for this year on ES.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    I am looking forward to more Brian and David from now on. However to ensure Sean's accent isnt missed can you please refer to Rabobank as Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabobank.
    I particularly enjoy the in depth bicycle conversations - my wife couldnt believe how geeky it was. big thumbs up.
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    +1 in favour of more BS on Eurosport! :lol:

I thought the two of them did a great job given the circumstances and a big thumbs up to British Eurosport for showing the race in the first place cos I enjoyed most of it. Sure the schedules jumped around a bit but between the HD channel and ES2 we got most of the action.

More Smith please!