How long is your commute and what do you wear....

messier0101
messier0101 Posts: 166
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Not in some sort of seedy "what are you wearing" kind of way :lol: :roll:

Further to the title question , at what distance would guys wear "proper" cycling clothes for a commute?

My commute is 6.5 miles each way, and I wear a jersey, a pair of bib shorts or some baggy shorts.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    16.5 miles, at the moment I'm in bib tights, base layer and jacket. Next week I'll hopefully be in bib shorts, leg warmers, jersey and arm warmers if it stays this mild.

When I used to do 7 miles to college, I rode in standard baggy shorts and a tshirt. It only took me 20 minutes, so putting on all the kit and changing at the end would have probably doubled my commuting time, so I just changed my tshirt and wiped myself down with a flannel as I didn't get too sweaty anyway.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Err... For my short commute, just normal clothes (20 mins)

For my semi serious (40ish mins) cycle shorts under nonrmal trous and a technical t-shirt under a normal shirt.

Anything longer gets the full biz. Laydeez!
  • My commute is 2 miles with loads of traffic lights so takes about 20 minutes. I wear my work (office) clothes and just role up my trousers to avoid the oil. Occasionally wear one of the Night Vision jackets. I don't think I'd bother with all the gear if it was 6 miles either but mainly cause we've no shower facilities so it would be a hassle to change.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    7 miles/30 mins and I wear the full lycra gear as I am a ponce :)
  • Hilly and light filled 10miles, so its full kit as it ends up bein 35-40mins each way.a very good work out and well worthwhile.

The people i work with are cyclists too and working in a sports based shop its not seen as a big deal being a bit sweaty.
  • 12 1/2 miles, hilly, roadie gear.
  • AxelR
    AxelR Posts: 7
    edited February 2009
    16 mile each way.Endura Humvee full length or 3/4.Fleece or cycling jersey.A pair of five tens if I am on the MTB,SPD shoes on the recumbent.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Depends on what job but for my 7 miler it`s rigger boots, work trousers, HH hi vis jacket and for my other job it`s Ron Hills, HH baselayer, A cycling jacket I bought in France and helmet and gloves and proper cycle shoes
  • 9 miles each way - baggy shorts - t-shirt and hi vis jacket just to give car drivers and pedestrians something to aim at!!!! :twisted:
  • 11 miles each way. - About 23 miles in all.

I wear a proper santini cycling shirt and paded cycling shorts. I also wear my mtb spd equipped shoes, and break all roadie laws by wearing a camelbak backpack, with my work clothes in, as the racer doesn't have any fittings for a rack.

I couldn't do it in normal trousers, not that distance on a saddle.

If I take the mtb, it takes a few mins longer, but more likely to wear my padded baggy Orange shorts.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • bikesr4riding
    bikesr4riding Posts: 53
    edited February 2009
    15 miles each way from Essex borders to Blackfriars, London.
    • L/S Merino wool base layer (the most amazing piece of commuting kit you can buy, I explain below)
    • L/S zipped top layer
    • Lycra shorts with baggies
    • thinsulate socks
    • leg warmers (winter)
    • thinsulate scull cap (winter)
    • SPD's
    • Giro E2 helmet
    • Full finger gloves
    I absolutely LOVE my merino wool base layers. They are amzingly comfortable, warm, cool, quick drying, easy to wash, and most importantly for commuting, doesn't stink at the other end.

I can't stress enough that I could probably get away with wearing this for six 15 mile rides before it starts to whiff. The natural qualities of merino wool are incredible.

I previously wore typical synthetic riding tops, which really stank after a single ride, so to not stink at all using merino is awesome.

Worth every penny!
    My training blog, videos and other bike related stuff,
    www.bikesr4riding.com -- Twitter Feed
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    14 miles in, 16 back (different route home in the winter). Roadie, lycra, overshoes, jacket, baselayers, thermal hat, cap (to keep rain off glasses), gloves, helmet.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • [1] All the way in 12 miles : roadie, bikesters, cyle top long arms, tank top thing
    [2] 4 miles cycle & ride, spd shoes & office gear only

6.5 miles is on the limit I'd say between lycra and work threads. Depends on how sweaty you get really and whether you got the facilities at work.

In winter at -2 it wouldn't be a problem, summer maybe different. If you work in an abatoir I wouldn't worry about it

Hope this helps

DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's just 1.5 miles each way these days and I wear normal clothes....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • 7 miles each way, I vary to be honest. Normally bib tights, long sleeve jersey. Always carry a little waterproof jacket. Sometimes, however, I can't be bothered to change back, so I cycle home in my work gear. It's less comfortable, but I'm lazy.
  • 13.8 miles each way (twice a week as an alternative to the sardine can)
    Cannondale Six13 Alu / Carbon

North Wave thermal tights / 3/4 tights in better weather
    merino LS rapha / icebreaker base layers
    jersey
    DHB High Viz Amberley (much better fit than night vision)
    Specialized SPD's on Shimano 645 SPD with cages.

berghaus pack for a few things. leave suit at work. they have a shower.

:-)
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    8 miles is the shortest, add 3 more if I go home via the gym.

Wearing currently ron hill running tights or tracksters, long sleeve technical top or helly base layer, gloves, beanie and Northwave boots. Stopped wearing the Endura Gridlock last week and got a Montane Featherlite (thanks forum for that recommendation).

Hopefully soon, shorts - just baggy cotton and short sleeve cycling tops and spd shoes.

Sometimes cycle home in day clothes if I have been out after work
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Commute around 5 miles - currently jeans, trainers,fleece, helmet and gloves - summer baggies, T-shirt, trainers - we have no changing facilities or showers at work so have to change in disabled toilet :roll:
  • 18.5miles each way.

MTB with slicks
    spd shoes with overshoes
    lycra shorts
    cycle top
    cycle jacket
    no helmet
    full finger gloves

soon to be
    road bike
    spd shoes(easier at the lights than SL's!)
    lycra shorts
    cycle top
    cycle jacket
    no helmet
    soon....no lights!
  • 40 mile round trip. Bib Tights, base layer and winter jacket.

Good rub down with a towel and plenty of deoderant when I get in. Put in a request for a shower in the suggestions box, so we'll see, I'm still dreaming of getting the cycle scheme.....
  • I'm surprised how some of you guys who cycle 7 miles+ do so in normal work clothes...you guys must not sweat at all! lol.....

My commute is around 6.5 miles and hilly (ish) and I'd hate to cycle in shirt and trousers....
  • tardington
    I guess it's how much of a rush you're in! When I'm non-work cycling I mosey along, and never get sweaty. However, in the mornings it is so hard to get out of bed, I seem to end up having to 'put the hammer down'* so I'm glad of the technical stuff.

*Just re-read French Revolutions. Can you tell?
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    35 miles each way which is why its not an everyday occurrence :(

looking forward to the clocks changing as I've never fancied a 2 hr commute in the dark :oops:
  • tardington
    I occasionally get an 8 o'clock start somewhere out to the the east of Edinburgh on the coast. Have to leave at 6am, but it's an amazing ride once the sun is up. 8)
  • 17 mile round trip. Full roadie gear with walkable SPD shoes (I walk the children to school first some days). We've got good changing facilities at work, so all work clothes just stay there, and I occasionally remember to bring them home and give 'em a wash :shock:
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    25 each way.
    dhb and aldi gear. SPDs. Dickies High Vis and yellow tint safety specs from screwfix. Never had a waterproof though, I just get wet and try not to worry about it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's 20 miles each way, but only twice a week while the schools are in due to me having to do the school run 3 days a week. Wear just the minimum - SPD's, shorts, fingerless gloves, cycle shirt (+ sleeves, leggings & overshoes if a bit nippy in the mornings, like now), and a hi-viz waistcoat until proper summer starts and again from early September. Wearing any kind of coat to keep dry is pointless - you can only get so wet, and whether you're wet from sweat or rain is irrelevant.
  • 13 miles each way via Road twice a week
    or 17 miles Thames path & Canal Towpathj once a week

bib tights (Aldi or Pearl Izumi, PI do fit much better but Aldi are cheap)
    Helly Hansen base layer
    Aldi long sleeve winter jersey
    Aldi winter jacket.
    Endura Overshoes (tried Aldi but they didn't last long)
    Northwave balaclava if really cold
    Aldi or Altura gloves (whatever's clean)

I also carry an Altura Nevis rainjacket, but only wear this when it's actually raining as
    it doesn't seem very breathable.

Showers & clean towels provided at work.

I also hang up my cycling gear during the day so it can dry out.

I keep spare socks at work as that's the one item of clothing that doesn't always dry in
    time for journey home.

Mike
  • 6 miles each way, usually 5 days a week.

I put on cycling gear for the journey - padded shorts (sometimes lycra, sometimes baggy), cycling/running base layer tops, high-vis commuter jackets/tops and walkable SPD shoes. I keep work clothes in the office so shower, shave, :lol: , change when I'm there. More comfortable than cycling in normal clothes and takes no more time to change as I would shower at work anyway.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Lycra with extra lycra, 13 - 15 miles each way almost every day, other than a few clients outside London I can't get to on public transport.