Average Speeds

spacemonkeys
spacemonkeys Posts: 32
Hi All

This has probably been done to death, but what average speeds should you be looking for a) solo b) group rides, over 40 / 50 miles Reason I ask as been getting a bit down with being dropped (at the end) , but they are actually a group of race heads so might be going better than I give myself credit for :-)

Cheers for u time

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Hi All

This has probably been done to death, but what average speeds should you be looking for a) solo b) group rides, over 40 / 50 miles Reason I ask as been getting a bit down with being dropped (at the end) , but they are actually a group of race heads so might be going better than I give myself credit for :-)

Cheers for u time
    Er...how about giving us some more info. Are the race heads your average 3rd and 4th cats or Elite and 1st cat riders? I know riders who ride at 18mph av on a solo ride but then can still hang in there in a crit where the average speed may be 26/27mph. If all your trying to achieve is its to complete the group ride you may need to increase your sustainable power, fuel your self better, sit in a rest more, etc.
  • Asking a completely unanswerable non-question like that suggests you might be dumber than you give yourself credit for.
    aspra nella virtu', dolce nel sacrificio
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    a) 25mph
    b) 27mph
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    a) 25mph
    b) 27mph
    Were your brakes rubbing when you recorded these averages?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bronzie wrote:
    a) 25mph
    b) 27mph
    Were your brakes rubbing when you recorded these averages?

The front wheel was out of true slightly, and I was wearing a baggy jersey, these factors probably contributed to the slightly slow averages.

And I wasn't sure I had the tyres with the correct properties either.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • padonbike wrote:
    Asking a completely unanswerable non-question like that suggests you might be dumber than you give yourself credit for.

Thanks for that informative answer, I'd been happy with a simple answer such as "I average about 16 mph" over a 50 mile ride, but you know what they say "only the foolish can ask question the wise cannot answer", but as it was answered by a couple , I'll go with "only the ignorant and self righteous find easier to mock than inform"

Sorry for the un clarity of my question, was just trying to idea of what mortal people ride, I average about 16.5 over 40 and 18.5 in the group runs, but the group does some 22's on training runs, not sure if I understand all the Cat buisness as been a MTB'er for last 10 years and that just pro / not pro.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    average speed is largely meaningless, in case you hadn't already guessed. Terrain profile plays a big part in determining an average speed. I would expect your average speed over 50 miles to be slightly higher in the fens than it would be in the cambrian mountains, for instance...
  • BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    For your interest, I have just got back from a 23 mile ride on my road bike on my own. For the first half an hour I averaged 19.2 mph as it was relatively flat (and I was feeling lively!) then it got into the hillier section for the last hour and my average dropped to 16.6mph (although I was still feeling quite lively!) for the whole ride. there are 2 hills in the route of over 10 minutes each where I am doing between 8-10mph.

On Sunday I did 45 miles on my own and averaged 16.4mph in hilly Worcestershire.

Average speed tells you about the route and conditions. Race results tell you about the rider!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Sorry for the un clarity of my question, was just trying to idea of what mortal people ride, I average about 16.5 over 40 and 18.5 in the group runs, but the group does some 22's on training runs, not sure if I understand all the Cat buisness as been a MTB'er for last 10 years and that just pro / not pro.
    4th cat = entry level
    Elite, 1st or even 2nd cat = your legs are going to hurt if you try and stay with them

The speeds you quote all sound about right, but average speed will vary with so many factors (terrain, weather conditions, road conditions, traffic conditions) that it makes SENSIBLE comparison difficult.

Surely the important question is either:
    a) am I getting faster (over the same training route and similar conditions)?
    or
    b) am I faster than my mates?
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Yeah the average speed from person to person is pretty un-answerable but who on here doesn't have favourite training routes where they'll compare average speed to see how well they're going?

For instance whatever road route I do around here I can usually get a low 17mph, on the other hand I find it very difficult to find routes where I can get 20 mph.

I therefore rate my ride using 20 as the top and 17.0 as the bottom. Also worth noting that the inclusion of any big hill around me (eg Bwlch/Rhigos) will always loose me at least 1.5 mph average.

So perhaps a better question would be:-

For a ride greater than 1 hour on a circular course consisting of flat terrain what is your highest average speed. (start and end point must be the same)

Mines 20.?? by the way.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Yeah the average speed from person to person is pretty un-answerable but who on here doesn't have favourite training routes where they'll compare average speed to see how well they're going?

For instance whatever road route I do around here I can usually get a low 17mph, on the other hand I find it very difficult to find routes where I can get 20 mph.

I therefore rate my ride using 20 as the top and 17.0 as the bottom. Also worth noting that the inclusion of any big hill around me (eg Bwlch/Rhigos) will always loose me at least 1.5 mph average.

For a ride greater than 1 hour on a circular course consisting of flat terrain what is your highest average speed. (start and end point must be the same)

Mines 20.?? by the way.

Mines 20.?? by the way :oops: :oops:

mine`s 27.8
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Over winter bin the speedo and clock, you are probably on a heavier bike, more clothing, colder and slightley :oops: heavier yourself than in the summer. The roads are wet and slippier so you are taking things easier. Just get the miles in and enjoy it :) A 30 miler I do in winter with a friend takes me 1/2 hour longer than on my own in summer. We talk, so what. Unless you make a living from cycling or commuting remember it's a hobby, for enjoyment, fun.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    sub55 wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:

Mines 20.?? by the way.

mine`s 27.8

What's flat terrain ? (boring)
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    John C. wrote:
    Over winter bin the speedo and clock, you are probably on a heavier bike, more clothing, colder and slightley :oops: heavier yourself than in the summer. The roads are wet and slippier so you are taking things easier. Just get the miles in and enjoy it :) A 30 miler I do in winter with a friend takes me 1/2 hour longer than on my own in summer. We talk, so what. Unless you make a living from cycling or commuting remember it's a hobby, for enjoyment, fun.

That is one of the best pieces of advice that I have read on here and something I remind myself every winter....
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    sub55 wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:

Mines 20.?? by the way.

mine`s 27.8

No way, I no where you live and I know for a fact that you'll never find a flat route. :lol:

I should have said not counting races.

Seriously though Paul, have you ever done an individual training ride at over 25mph (rules as stated above)?

If you have done 27, where did you manage that? :shock:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    chrisw12 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:

Mines 20.?? by the way.

mine`s 27.8

No way, I no where you live and I know for a fact that you'll never find a flat route. :lol:

I should have said not counting races.

Seriously though Paul, have you ever done an individual training ride at over 25mph (rules as stated above)?

If you have done 27, where did you manage that? :shock:

Yeah, you`re right. the 27.8 was in competition. it was a E12 crit and is my highest ever average speed. although not far behind that on the bank ,but that does`nt quite make your criteria either. generally training around here, thats west wales quite often in the mountains ,i rekon to make 17 mph average. if thats any help.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Why the chuff do people post such questions?

I'm not over the moon with my average speed on a ride but asking on here about others' average speed, what is that achieving? If folks say wow that's great, do you go away feeling smug? If they say bloody hell are you riding square wheels deo you think Oooooh! I really am crap.

Unless you're a racer just enjoy your self Ave speeds mean nowt.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Cheers people, to be honest with you, should have realised that about average speed, raced mountain bikes across the country to some degree of success and never used a computer cus well what was the point, depending on course conditions and terrain the readings (even distance) are as good as a waste of electrical current

Just recently my head has got really messed up with being dropped at the end of EVERY ride, and couldn't work out if it's me, the people I ride me or just a lack of road time, was getting so bad that that considering giving up cycling for good has been coming more and more to the fore , as said above
    Unless you're a racer just enjoy your self Ave speeds mean nowt.
    and the only rides I was starting to enjoy were the ones i didn't go on

Anyway, cheers to those who have been helpful , although a slightly dumn ass question, some of your comments (in this and another thread) gave me some things to think about
  • In the Cat 4 race at Chertsey on Sunday - roughly 22 miles - the average speed for just about everyone was 24. Flattish course, not much wind to worry about.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I don't think I ever managed over 20mph on my own over a sensible distance (30+miles) on a "normal" ride. However, I did once do 83 miles at an average of 28mph in a E/1/2/3/4 race :!:

Have to admit I only find my cycling computer useful for overall distance, the avg speed just annoys me. In fact I wish you could turn the display off while it still recorded then just look at the info back home.