Increase in BPM on Tribars

Old Tuggo
Old Tuggo Posts: 482
Due to the bad weather I have been doing sessions on the Turbo recently and I have noticed that when going from the tops to tribars my BPM go up by 5 when I am training at 90% approx of MHR. Is this normal or a sign that my tribars are too low?

Comments

• HR can readily be influenced by body position on a bike. It is not uncommon for this to happen. Whether or not it affects your performance is another matter.

Only way to know that is to assess the combined impact of any changes to power output due to different position and the offsetting changes in aerodynamics (when riding on the road/track).

Optimising position for speed in terms of power losses and aerodynamic improvements is a tricky business.
  • Thanks Alex I will have to experiment in positioning when the club timetrials start.
  • Don't forget that when you go on the tribars you'll naturally close your chest up: I remember Tony Rominger did some trials about 15 years ago and found he couldn't get his tribars as narrow as others because it constricted his chest movement and breathing.

It's possibly that your HR is increasing because you're making it work harder: closing your chest, tensing your arms and taking in less O2.
  • You are probably right Barry, but as Alex points out, that has to be balanced against the advantages of aerodynamics. At present I do find it difficult in that postion and cannot hold it for longer than 5 mins however, hopefully, I should be able to hold it much longer by the time the season starts.