Does HIIT training improve your speed and endurance?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Hi,

Does HIIT training improve your speed and endurance? If so, how, and what is the best way to use HIIT to improve speed / endurance?
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• When you say HIIT training are you specifically looking at the high intensity weight training or high intensity bike work??

If the later then yes - specific high intensity interval training will bring on your performance leaps and bounds.

If you're talking the former then the jury is out on that one, sure it'll start some debate..... my own thoughts would be to do the specific stuff on the bike 5 min VO2 intervals and 15 second sprint stuff...

Plenty on the web to get stuck into for more detail.

cheers,

John.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    JohnWilky wrote:
    When you say HIIT training are you specifically looking at the high intensity weight training or high intensity bike work??

If the later then yes - specific high intensity interval training will bring on your performance leaps and bounds.

If you're talking the former then the jury is out on that one, sure it'll start some debate..... my own thoughts would be to do the specific stuff on the bike 5 min VO2 intervals and 15 second sprint stuff...

Plenty on the web to get stuck into for more detail.

cheers,

John.

No, just bike work, im not worried about weight training at the moment as im still built enough from when I used to lift a couple of years ago... but im a novice when it comes to cycling and I want to improve my speed and endurance..... alot. Ive been reading about HIIT and it sounds good, but there is nothing about it on this forum, so im wondering does it work in practise?
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • If your new to cycling I wouldn't jump in with the high intensity stuff. Initially I'd say just get out ride your bike and enjoy it... look to join a local club either road or mtb and get to speak to a few of the knowledgeable members. Get out on a few of the club rides and enjoy the buzz.

Then I'd start to undertake some structured mid-week training sessions. If you are really wanting the biggest bang for your buck the way to go is to get a power meter and coach. If not both then I'd look to get the power meter and read read read...... with a bit of riding in between!!

Cheers,

John.