Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Torn Muscle, what to do?

GyatsoLaGyatsoLa Posts: 667
I managed to tear a calf muscle this morning doing, of all things, cooking porridge. It boiled over, I got up to quickly to turn off the hob, and I felt a tearing sensation in my upper calf. I was very inactive for the past few days with a cold, so I guess my muscles just tightened up too much. I've been hobbling all day, and the pain has got worse, I can barely walk. I've taken nurofen and applied voltarol.

So, which is my best option:

Go to my sports physio? (It'll mean a long and expensive taxi ride to get there and back)


Go to my GP for anti-inflammatory prescription?


Go home and rest?




  • djaeggidjaeggi Posts: 107
    RICE. (Rest Ice Compression Elevation - google it!). Go home buying frozen peas on the way, arrange yourself on the couch with your leg up, apply a bandage with light compression. The sooner you do this, the faster your recovery because you're limiting further damage and swelling. A physio is not really going to help with an acute injury (over and above RICE) and voltarol gel is probably just as effective as anything a doctor will prescribe. BTW, you shouldn't be taking Ibuprofen and using Voltarol at the same time. Give it a couple of days rest to let the swelling go down then go and find a physio to work out exactly what you've done to yourself.

    Good luck!
  • GyatsoLaGyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Many thanks, djaeggi, I'll hobble off now and get those peas....
Sign In or Register to comment.