Wooden legs....

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
Normally I find my breathing rate or heart rate to be limiting my riding....ie I find that I'm often trying breathe through everyone of my orifices.

However since Saturday it's been my legs that have just said "no".....before I'm out of breathe my legs have just felt wooden, and has been really noticeable on hills, even little onesw.

- Fuelling hasn't been an issue - I've eaten the same as normal.
- Mileage isn't really different than usual.

I've just been feeling weak, it hasn't been too bad on the flat as I've still been able to whack on at a relatively good pace, but hills have really taken it out of me....(or at least my legs....).

Any ideas?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Maybe you're coming down with something?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • My first guess is overtraining or the related ailment of boredom. I had this twice last year when I was generally going pretty well (for me) and both times I'm convinced it was a mental problem, I just wasn't up for the sessions I did on those days, it was a bit aimless and I didn't really want to be doing it - hills I normally enjoy or attack were a dreadful slog etc.

In previous years I had this more, going over a motorway bridge would kill me - this was due to a lack of fitness and overtraining for my fitness level, just doing too much too soon and knackering myself out.
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Maybe you're coming down with something?

I second that. I had a cold a few weeks back. Went from torturing the lads in the run back to the cafe one week, to clinging on for dear life the next.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    you could ask Geppetto if he could make you into a real boy?

435px-Pinocchio.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    Perhaps my saddle is too low on my winter bike?

I've been messing about with setback and saddle height so perhaps it's just a bit low. I'll try put it back up higher and see how I go....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Have you been feeling a little queer lately?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • redddraggon
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Have you been feeling a little queer lately?

Nope....I never feel at all queer..
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941

I've been messing about with setback and saddle height so perhaps it's just a bit low. I'll try put it back up higher and see how I go....

Possible. For a few weeks before Christmas I was suffering on rides, felt like I had no power in my legs - even on flat roads. Checked my saddle and it was about an inch too low. I was amazed the effect it was having on me.
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    edited February 2009
    Doobz wrote:

If you have wooden legs, whatever you do, DON'T SHAVE THEM!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    terongi wrote:
    Doobz wrote:

If you have wooden legs, whatever you do, DON'T SHAVE THEM!

A plane would be far more efficient
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • redddraggon
    phips wrote:

Saddle too low often results in knee pain - at the front, and just below the knee cap.

Well that probably explains the twinge in my left knee then. I'm on my carbon bike tomorrow anyway and the position on that is near perfect, so I'll see how I fare...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr