Kirklees Sportive now known as Brian Robinson Challenge.

Our club secretary has helped organise the above event. Please see the Press Release below.

PRESS RELEASE
IMMEADIATE RELEASE

Cycle Challenge gets Olympic recognition

A popular charity cycle challenge held annually in the Pennines around Huddersfield has received the endorsement of one of Britain’s most respected cycling pioneers and former Olympic athlete

The cycle event held on the last Sunday in April (this year 26th) has been developing over the last 3 years and attracted riders from as far afield as London and Scotland. It is a 75 mile circuit taking in stunning scenery and iconic climbs of Pennine hills.

Previously run as the Kirklees Cycle Sportive,(http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/events/event ... ?evID=6403) the event caused confusion as few riders knew where Kirklees was; indeed some thought it was a Scottish event.

In wishing to firmly establish the event and wishing to commemorate Brian’s achievements ride organiser Martyn Bolt approached Brian and asked if they could use his name for the event.

“After some deliberation and looking at various options for using Brian’s name we chose the Brian Robinson Cycle Challenge, as it exactly says what the event is all about. The ride is aimed at allowing riders to enjoy themselves, raise money for good causes but is without doubt challenging”

Brian Robinson is a Mirfield cyclist, who represented GB in the 1952 Olympic road race along with his brother Desmond. He later went on to achieve further international accolade as a pioneering continental professional cyclist in the 1950s and early ‘60s.

During his career Brian was the first British Cyclist to complete the Tour de France, the first British cyclist to win a stage of the Tour de France and the first rider to win the prestigious Criterium De Dauphine Libere a precursor to the Tour.

Speaking of the event Brian had this to say,

“I have ridden every inch of this route many times myself and I know that riders are in for a memorable experience. We hope that the support on the day in terms of HQ, marshals and feeder stations will make sure cyclists can take the route at whatever speed they like, but they will finish the ride knowing they have had a good work out”

Riders wishing to enter should do so on line at
Enter/Update Entry Online https://www.sportident.co.uk/entries/ev ... ent_id=193
Entry List https://www.sportident.co.uk/entries/li ... ent_id=193

News on the charities which will benefit from this year’s event will be announced shortly, previous recipients have been the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, Forget me not Trust, and Epilepsy action

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I think the IOC might not be too enthusiastic with your
    Cycle Challenge gets Olympic recognition
    :wink:

However, for me it's two weeks before Fred Whitton (which would make it great timing) but it's also the day after we get back from Italy (which is not so great timing).

But, just in case I'm keen, presumably you'll be accepting on-the-line entries again ?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    andy_wrx wrote:
    But, just in case I'm keen, presumably you'll be accepting on-the-line entries again ?
    It sold out last year. I rode with johnbirkby46213 who only managed to wangle a place after a couple of people phoned in as DNSs. (it was raining! :wink: )
  • ColinJ wrote:
    It sold out last year. I rode with johnbirkby46213 who only managed to wangle a place after a couple of people phoned in as DNSs. (it was raining! :wink: )

But this time he's made sue that he has a place cos I've just made an online entry. Hope to ride with you again ColinJ! :D
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ wrote:

But this time he's made sue that he has a place cos I've just made an online entry. Hope to ride with you again ColinJ! :D
    Oh, talk of the devil - hi John! I'll get my entry in tomorrow! I can't promise to be much fitter than last year I'm afraid, so You'll have plenty of chance to get your breath back at the top of every climb again! :wink:
  • Let us hope the weather is a little better than last year. I couldn't see ahead of me for much of the first half of the ride due to the bloody rain!

I'm really looking forward to it again, despite the rain I really enjoyed the ride and the climbs!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RCC
    RCC Posts: 19
    Was a fantastic ride last year on some great challenging roads.

The distance is perfect as it is enough for preparation for the longer sportives that are imminent but there are PLENTY of climbs to strengthen your legs.

Extremely looking forward to it.
  • I just hope the snow on the roads of Holme Moss has cleared by the time this event comes around!
  • RCC
    RCC Posts: 19
    I've heard that there is a variation of the route from last year, anyone got any news? Seems that there cannot be anymore hills, as the profile is like a dinosaurs back as it is!!!!!
  • Sounds like a great day. Anybody got a link to map my ride for the route?
  • ColinJ
    Sounds like a great day. Anybody got a link to map my ride for the route?
    Here's last year's route (supposed to be the same this year apart from a different event HQ) on Bikely.
  • Hi Colin, are you able to upload last years ride to Map my Ride and send me the link? The organiser has emailed me asking me to create the route but as you already have last years route saved I would be most grateful if it could be uploaded to MMR.

Many thanks

RR84
  • ColinJ
    Hi Colin, are you able to upload last years ride to Map my Ride and send me the link? The organiser has emailed me asking me to create the route but as you already have last years route saved I would be most grateful if it could be uploaded to MMR.

Many thanks

RR84
    That's strange because the route on Bikely was actually posted by 'langsett' and I thought he is/was the organiser! :wink:

I don't use MapMyRide but you can get a .gpx file of any route on Bikely by going to the 'Share' menu and clickling on 'Download .GPX'. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't easily upload that to MMR.
  • Hi Colin. Thanks for that. Indeed you are correct, Langsett is the organiser but he wanted to create this years route on MMR as the route is very slightly different. I figured that we should just upload last years route to MMR and try and make the amendments if MMR would allow. I have downloaded the route from Bikely but it won't upload to MMR for some unknown reason.
  • ColinJ
    Hi Colin. Thanks for that. Indeed you are correct, Langsett is the organiser but he wanted to create this years route on MMR as the route is very slightly different. I figured that we should just upload last years route to MMR and try and make the amendments if MMR would allow. I have downloaded the route from Bikely but it won't upload to MMR for some unknown reason.
    Hmm, I get the same problem. I'll see if I can work out how to fix it some time today.
  • ColinJ
    Hi Colin. Thanks for that. Indeed you are correct, Langsett is the organiser but he wanted to create this years route on MMR as the route is very slightly different. I figured that we should just upload last years route to MMR and try and make the amendments if MMR would allow. I have downloaded the route from Bikely but it won't upload to MMR for some unknown reason.
    Right, after a lot of faffing about, I've managed to get the route onto MMR for you. I'll PM you a link to it so you can take it over!
  • We have 101 entries now! Ideally we would love to break the 300 mark set last year!

Get those entries in!
  • roadrider84
    roadrider84 Posts: 335
    160 entrants now! Keep them coming!
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Roadrider/ColinJ

I've entered for this, and I was hoping to go and recce part of the course.

Do you have the updated route available ?

Cheers
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • roadrider84
    CumbrianDude, here is the link that Colin J sent nme. Granted, it's last years route so please note that the start is slightly different but other than that it's an accurate route for this year. Get plenty of hill training in!!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/hudde ... 3046927761
  • CumbrianMan
    Cheers for that Roadrider.

Been getting a few hills over past few weeks, as I've been out recce'ing the DLMC ride.

Oh My God !
    I tell ya, if Dave Lloyd lived in the US, they'd make him a governor of a state penitentiary, such is the punishment on the DLMC - and I'm only doing the 100 miler ! Chapeau to all those who are mad enough to be doing the 150 miler !!

It's the roads that done it. They are in a shocking state. Ohh, and the fact that my winter ride is a good 2.8kg heavier than my summer ride !

Ahh well, really looking forward to the Robbo. Done most of the climbs at one time or another, and so it should be a good day out.

Thanks again.

• roadrider84
    Have you been up Holme Moss yet? That really seperates the men from the boys!
  • CumbrianMan
    Been a couple of years since I was last up it. Seemed a reasonable climb, or maybe I was just fitter and younger then !

Recall the nagging wind in my face, and the life saving Ice Cream car at the top. Had to do something whilst my mate caught up !

Just been having a reminder on Google earth. Can't be as bad as going up Worlds End from the Llangollen side. Now that did hurt last week. Ouch !

Cheers

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    signed up this morning!

Really looking forward to the event - see you there
  • CumbrianMan
    Roadrider

Done a bit of recceing of the route at the weekend, and went up Meltham Moor and Holme Moss, into those blinking horrible headwinds I was on about earlier !!!

Just preying for less wind on the day ! Oh, and some more fitness !

Doesn't help when only part of the route you recce means you end up going up one of those steep hills out of Slaithwaite ! Ouch.

Cheers

• roadrider84
    Oh I know those hills very well. I live near Honley which is also very near Holmfirth so it's hard to avoid the hills in them there surroundings! I love Home Moss, Isle of Skye etc!! It may explain why I am the reigning Ravensthorpe CC Hill Climb Champ (bigging myself up there, pathetic I know but I never get any praise from my team mates!)

What sort of bike have you got. I'll look out for you at the start. You can't fail to miss mine (I'll be on the Trek providing it's not raining!!).
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hey guys, what maximum gradients are we talking here?
  • popette wrote:
    hey guys, what maximum gradients are we talking here?

There's nothing horrendous. I ride all these hills weekly and I don't think there is anything much steeper than about 12%. It's just that there are an awful lot of these hills all in fairly quick sucession. They are also long and fairly sustained. So the climb to Holme Moss actually starts in the village of Holmbridge before it reaches the hill proper. By the time I had got up Emley Moor last year, I was feeling it.

Some of my club mates find the climb up Wessenden Head more testing than Holme Moss whilst others the opposite.

There are no hills like there are on the Rydale Rumble (Boltby Bank and Rosedale Chimney - 25% and 33% respectively).
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    This is one of your club mates that votes for Wessenden! Like all cycling in this area, it's remoseless, there's so little that is flat (particularly on this route). I was also on Holme moss this weekend and I'll agree with Cumbrianman, it was pretty tough in the wind (though I've had to walk the last few yards in the past due to the cross winds)