Hernia and cycling

Bodhbh
Bodhbh Posts: 117
I posted about this on CycleChat but it seems to be drawing a blank, so thought I would ask here...

Been cycling for almost a year now, during which time I've had a hernia which has not bothered me on the bike until recently. In fact I took it up because swimming and other stuff was uncomfortable and wanted to keep active. Up until now it's been more or less stable, but since Christmas it's started getting bigger fast and giving me a bit of pain while riding.

I have generally got faster, so I'm not sure if that's done it - too much standing and yanking on the bars - it may just have started to go anyhow. Anyone else done much riding with one? Did you take it easy or manage to carry on as before? Do belts/trusses do any good? I would like to through the bulk of summer without an op driving a coach and horses through the middle.

Comments

• Hi Bodhbh

I cycled on bilateral inguinal hernias for 2 years, not often sore on the bike, I always assumed it was due to being bent over as sitting usually relieved the symptoms. Did some 100+ mile spotives with no difficulty from the hernias. As I'm standing a lot it simply got too much to bear so I had them repaired through the keyhole. The surgeon didn't really have any guidelines for returning to cycling, I was just advised to be not too stupid with pushing hills. Within a couple of weeks I was cycling flatter routes, but I must admit I didn't feel "right" for at least 3 months, just a feeling of "lack of energy". This was 3 years ago and I can't believe how foolish I was to be avoiding the operation for so long as I'm painfree and "normal" again. My advice to anyone is, obviously, have the repair asap and get back to enjoying life without the misery that hernias can bring.
  • Bodhbh
    oldnslowcp wrote:
    Hi Bodhbh

I cycled on bilateral inguinal hernias for 2 years, not often sore on the bike, I always assumed it was due to being bent over as sitting usually relieved the symptoms. Did some 100+ mile spotives with no difficulty from the hernias. As I'm standing a lot it simply got too much to bear so I had them repaired through the keyhole. The surgeon didn't really have any guidelines for returning to cycling, I was just advised to be not too stupid with pushing hills. Within a couple of weeks I was cycling flatter routes, but I must admit I didn't feel "right" for at least 3 months, just a feeling of "lack of energy". This was 3 years ago and I can't believe how foolish I was to be avoiding the operation for so long as I'm painfree and "normal" again. My advice to anyone is, obviously, have the repair asap and get back to enjoying life without the misery that hernias can bring.
    Thanks for that oldnslow!

I really would like to get it out the way. I pretty much feel it constantly and it's very demoralising to feel it moving while exercising, especially when you want nothing more than to 'give it some' (also never been fitter otherwise in my life, finally getting rid of 8 stone and cleaning up my act alot). However, I saw the surgeon a couple of weeks before it started getting bigger who basically said it wasn't bad enough to operate and my next appointment is in August. Also the weather will start getting better soon and after continuing the cycling all thru the winter I would like to do some touring and enjoy it! So I don't know, maybe I should push for another appointment.

Other thing is, I previously had one on the same side about 13-14yrs ago, so it's a relapse. My understanding is keyhole is not an option for these so the recovery will be longer.
  • I had a Hernia about 3 years ago, lived with it for 8 months, the doc said carry on as normal but don't strain yourself, ie pushing a car, lifting heavy weights while waiting for a date for my op.

I did cycle but was wary of riding hard out the saddle, although i did re turf the lawn but tha was digging in a bent over position which pushed it back in.

Mine grew quite quickly towards the end, when i went for the op they said keyhole wasn't a option as it was to big, i had a 3.5 inch cut, but they stitch a gauze in there so probably better.

I was back at work within 2 weeks but it was painful standing, but if you give plenty of time for recovery they heal really well.

I waas back cycling after 12 weeks, still go the odd twinge but it's fine now.

Thing is to go and GP and get your name down on list as it could take some time, the thing he said to watch for if it didn't reduce back in when you lay down as the can twist as it is your intestines poking through which then makes for a bigger op.

I'd go and get it sorted asap.
  • Bodhbh
    320DMsport wrote:
    Mine grew quite quickly towards the end, when i went for the op they said keyhole wasn't a option as it was to big, i had a 3.5 inch cut, but they stitch a gauze in there so probably better...

Thing is to go and GP and get your name down on list as it could take some time, the thing he said to watch for if it didn't reduce back in when you lay down as the can twist as it is your intestines poking through which then makes for a bigger op.

I'd go and get it sorted asap.
    Cheers 320DMsport. As I had one previous, I knew *immediately* at the first twinge thatI had one again. However, the lump was initially small and it took nearly a year and 2 visits to convince a doctor to book an appointment with the surgeon who thought on balance it was worth leaving also. ofc 2 weeks after the surgeon looks at it it takes off.

Been a bit annoying trying to get them to operate, as I figure it has too be done sooner or later there is no question on that - so why wait and let it get worse and have to put up with it meanwhile.

Thanks for advice anyhow, I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if it continues getting worse and book with the doctor again if so. I dunno on one hand feel like a nuisance making a fuss over a small thing, on the other we pay for this up front with our taxes and it does cause soem greif. Oh well, getting a moan out which helps ;).
  • Hmm, different health systems. I was a private patient, treated like a hotel guest. My GP was of the "will you go sort that out NOW" variety. It was my reluctance to be under the knife that was the problem. As we are aware, a strangulated hernia becomes emergency surgery, so the idea is to repair prior to the strangulation. One of mine "popped" due to carrying a 40kg bag of coal, at that moment I was aware that it was bad, both sides were noticable while wearing lycra. They were repaired with the mesh and my surgeon promised they wouldn't recurr! So far so good.
  • I had one done probably about five years ago, maybe more, with the keyhole / mesh. If I remember correctly I was out of action for about 2 weeks, then started riding gently and pretty much back to normal, doc said I could start exercising again when I went to see him after 4 weeks :lol:

Anway, the hernia itself wasn't particularly painful but it kept popping out and pushing it all back in made a horrible noise (annoyed the wife!) and wasn't particularly comfortable. I'd been living with it for years on the say so of the GP... Looking back now, wish I'd just had it done in the first instance!!!
  • Bodhbh
    oldnslowcp wrote:
    Hmm, different health systems. I was a private patient, treated like a hotel guest. My GP was of the "will you go sort that out NOW" variety...One of mine "popped" due to carrying a 40kg bag of coal, at that moment I was aware that it was bad, both sides were noticable while wearing lycra.
    Ouch! Mine wasn't so dramatic, I'd been lifting weights at home for 6months or so - without any instruction - with what in retrospect was bad-technique (holding breath and straining etc). But I didn't notice something didn't feel right till I was in the cinema watching a film.

The first time around I got booked in for a surgeon very early on, but back in the early 90s the NHS queues were quite something and it took 18months odd to get the operation. Now the queues are capped at 16 weeks I believe seems the problem to get anything done is gettnig a nod from the doctor/surgeon. It is tempting cough up (no pun) and get it done privately, which I nearly did a year back, instead I bought a bike...
  • Quite interesting, my doc was yep you got a hernia, i'll give you a referal and off to see the surgeon.

I got a cancelation which was common the nurse said with blokes bottling the op last min.

I was glad to get it over with.

Must admit i'm more careful with lifting and carrying now.

Did mine climbng a ladder with weight above my head when i wobbled backwards and had to tense like mad to stay on the ladder, then pop i felt something go or pull.

I still check mine now to see it's not come back!