indoor 3km challenge

adam.hales
adam.hales Posts: 17
My gym are having a 3km indoor bike challenge...
wondering if anyone has done a simular type of thing before and what sort of times are respectable?
just taken part in a 1km on a concept2 and one of the personal trainers bumped me into 5th place so its payback time!!!
all tips and tricks welcome...

:twisted:

Comments

• i was a gym instructor at david lloyd and we had these challenges all the time, the best was 10 mins as far as you can, i got 13k, a rugby pro got 15k and the best was an 18yr old big guy got 16k.
    i started the challenge because i heard about a triathlete at another gym where i live who got 59k in an hour, ive heard that he can now do 65k in an hour!!!
    13k in 10 mins wiped me out.
    since that time working at a cannons gym we did a 1.6 k as fast as you can challenge and i think the fastest was 1min39secs (nothing special)
  • Dont no how many people on here train in gyms during the bad weather but maybe post on here the times were getting and have our own little compitition?
    Im gonna give it a try tonight or in the morning...

If anyones interested give it a go and post times.

3km indoor cycle
  • Well, a pro track cyclist could do it in a little over three minutes on an indoor track... so I guess it depends how the bikes are calibrated! I find exercise bikes too uncomfortable to use (I do train in the gym, but on a spinning bike, so no distance or power measurements, just HR) other wise I'd be keen to join in.

I suggest anyone doing this also logs their calories burnt so we have some idea of whether the different bike are comparable!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    On my gym bike to do 13km in 10 mins would require me to pedal at over 250rpm so I think I might sit this one out as I can't pedal anywhere near that fast :shock:
  • doyler78 wrote:
    On my gym bike to do 13km in 10 mins would require me to pedal at over 250rpm so I think I might sit this one out as I can't pedal anywhere near that fast :shock:
    The OP talks about a 3km ride, not 13.

Speed and distance on any indoor trainer bears no resemblance to riding outdoors or on a track. It's a pretty pointless challenge if you ask me, unless you can be absolutely certain the resistance calibration and power curve of every bike is exactly the same.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 wrote:
    The OP talks about a 3km ride, not 13.

Speed and distance on any indoor trainer bears no resemblance to riding outdoors or on a track. It's a pretty pointless challenge if you ask me, unless you can be absolutely certain the resistance calibration and power curve of every bike is exactly the same.

Not sure why you think you need to explain that to me. I made the same point. The fact that OP wants to do a 3km challenge wasn't referred to by me was as the second poster set down makers which meant that to be able to do the 13km I would have to pedal at over 250rpm therefore when the distance is much shorter then that cadence will have to ramp up again in order to get maximum effort over 3km so I was saying that those sort of times are totally unachievable by me on the gym bikes my gym have leaving aside any issues regarding fitness, etc.

That's because the way my gym bike is built is that as resistance increases this has no impact on the distance travelled for the same cadence in other words I will always go the same distance for the same time no matter what the resistance on the bike is therefore the resistance, as I would have expected, represents climbing and therefore the watts required to ride the same cadence at higher resistance ramps up.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I managed 40mph on 52-12 on the rollers, that equates to about 120 rpm. Couldn't keep that going for 3 Km though . :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • interesting points made...
    are we saying that no matter what level you have the bike on wont make a difference to the speed?

so if you set the bike up on level 10 and keep the rpm at 150 your time wont be any faster than if your on level 5 with the same rpm???

if thats the case then yeah it is a silly challenge, iv got big powerfull legs and use the harder gears at a slower candance which isnt gonna benifit me in anyway...

A
  • doyler78
    adam.hales wrote:
    interesting points made...
    are we saying that no matter what level you have the bike on wont make a difference to the speed?

so if you set the bike up on level 10 and keep the rpm at 150 your time wont be any faster than if your on level 5 with the same rpm???

if thats the case then yeah it is a silly challenge, iv got big powerfull legs and use the harder gears at a slower candance which isnt gonna benifit me in anyway...

A

Well that's the way my gym bike works. I've only ever been a member of 2 gyms so I have no idea if this the typical setup or not. Just watch the wattage. In order to get the times that the second poster has found from experience in his gym suggests that all bikes are not built the same as I couldn't do those times on my bike simply because I could never pedal fast enough.