Cycling Plus Sportive

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
Anyone doing this? Sounds a good ride but wondering how much interest there will be. Would be good with a decent turn out.

Comments

• cant find anywhere to enter but defo interested.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    £45 is a bit ruddy steep if you ask me :shock:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Since I live in Nottingham I was quite looking forward to this. Then I saw that it was £45 because they think they are doing you a favor by giving you a 'free' weekend pass. I don't want a weekend pass and I'm certainly not paying £45.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    £45.00 :shock: put me off I'm afraid
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    General consensus in my club is not for £45 - any chance of a sportive only entry fee for £20 or so ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • sorry, ridiculous amount of money to pay! :evil:
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Agree with those already posted - I would consider it, but not at £45. If I wanted a weekend pass, which I don't, I'd buy one seperately.

It'd be a shame for a good concept to die a death before it's got off the ground due to over the top pricing - has no-one mentioned there's a recession on?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    As above, I was really keen to do this but I can't spare that kind of cash and I would only do the sportive and then get off home to please her indoors :oops:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I didn't see anything about road closures - presume that's included at that price?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep £45 rules me out i'm afraid - credit crunch and all that.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • £45!

Who the are these people attempting to kid? That really is the pits.

I have entered that Mad March Hare sportive on 1st March... and the price, just £8!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its not as bad as it looks at first hand - cos you do get the £15 entry and camping and other bits and bobs.

Only thing is most road cyclists would probably prefer to turn up, ride, go home. i dont think they are as sociable as MTBers - in my experience anyway.

I think they do need to rethink and maybe just do a ride only price.
  • cougie wrote:
    Its not as bad as it looks at first hand - cos you do get the £15 entry and camping and other bits and bobs.

Only thing is most road cyclists would probably prefer to turn up, ride, go home. i dont think they are as sociable as MTBers - in my experience anyway.

Coughie, but of a generalisation there, nothing to do with being unsociable, I just don't have the time and money to hang about at the events, love to have a chat etc and meeting new people. My wife complains enough about me not spending enough time at home as it is! :shock:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • cougie wrote:

Coughie, but of a generalisation there, nothing to do with being unsociable, I just don't have the time and money to hang about at the events, love to have a chat etc and meeting new people. My wife complains enough about me not spending enough time at home as it is! :shock:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • cougie wrote:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • cougie wrote:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Was interested until I saw the price but not a cat's chance at £45.

There's been some discussion of the cost of sprtives on here before and there are a couple up in Scotland that are £35 but this is getting silly now. :evil: :evil:

DM
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    £45 ..............bl**dy ridiculous.

I really really fail to understand how this sort of price can be justified in the current financial climate.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Maybe they'll use all the £45's and put them to buying a new server for the forum to run on. :wink: :twisted:

Seriously though - Any reason that it's being offered as a package only deal? (Other than the cycnical view of getting extra money?)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cougie
    cougie wrote:

Ledburylouffer - Sure - I see your point entirely - and I think a lot of roadies are like that -it does take up a lot of your time. But - if you wanted to - bring the family - camp out for the weekend and let them check out all the entertainment. Could be a cracking event. Weather permitting anyway !
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Too steep at £45.................... My wife doesn't do camping either!
    Paul
  • Far too expensive, I'll be finding another event.

I'm not an overly negative person, but the organisers have not thought about their local market here. Within 20 miles of Donington you have three large cities in Nottingham, Leicester and Derby all with active cycling scenes. Not sure of total populations, but guess it would be 1m plus in the three cities?

I live within this radius and can't see myself or any of my circle of friends paying £45 to ride roads they can ride any time and camping facilities that they just don't need as they can, at a push, just ride to the event.

Another vote for an entry only pricing please C+ and I'll top up for a day entry on Sunday if I can or want to.
    "If you build it, they will come"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Morning all,

Just to let you know we are listening to your input, and as such there'll be an 'early bird' offer available very soon.

Thanks
  • Good work, the £45 had ruled me out, but if there is a deal to be had for the event only I am listening.
  • Hmmmm.

£45 for the Cycling Plus sportive on the 31st May, or

£10 for the Pontycyslte Aquaduct Challenge on 30th May?

I know which event I would prefer to enter, and it is not the expensive one!

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... entid=2251
  • Hmmmm.

£45 for the Cycling Plus sportive on the 31st May, or

£10 for the Pontycyslte Aquaduct Challenge on 30th May?

I know which event I would prefer to enter, and it is not the expensive one!

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... entid=2251

In C+ defence, I think we're talking about two different scale events here aren't we?
    "If you build it, they will come"
  • cougie
    What else do get for your cash?

Access to BikeRadar Live and all its facilities. Please note, if you wish to enter a second challenge or race at the show, it does not entitle you to another weekend pass.
    Cycling Plus Sportive gong
    ChampionChip timing system
    Cyclingnews result service
    Competitor/quiet camping area

So Camping and Entry to BikeRadar Live as well.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Ride on the road - £45

and................

Access to BikeRadar Live and all its facilities. Please note, if you wish to enter a second challenge or race at the show, it does not entitle you to another weekend pass.
    Cycling Plus Sportive gong :!:
    Cyclingnews result service
    Competitor/quiet camping area

Ride the 12hr Enduro - £40

a share of £5000 up for grabs - if you're fast enough :?
    BikeRadar Live T-shirt
    Access to competitor/quiet camping area
    Toilets near start/finish line
    Showers (in main show area)
    Secure 24-hour bike lockup
    Well-lit changeover area
    Light charging facility (near start/finish line)
    Dedicated bikewash (10pm–8.30am)
    Overnight catering facilities
    Medical cover
    Marshalling
    Rider care :?:
    Paul