Tour of Qatar - SPOILER

13»

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Brian B wrote:
    Hopefully Cav will have enough in the tank for another go later on. I hope this race doesn't turn out to be a disaster like his 07 TdF.

I hope he does have a disaster. It may actually give him something real to winge about. Given your location 'yellow peril'I know you are probably a big fan(and rightly so given his exploits) but IMO he comes over in interviews like a spoiled teenager and I cannot really summon any enthusiasum for him. I hope Boonen actually beats him on a head to head just to bring him down a notch.

You are right watching him at the end of todays stage whinging like a little girl for his helper what an ars*hole.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Brian B wrote:
    Hopefully Cav will have enough in the tank for another go later on. I hope this race doesn't turn out to be a disaster like his 07 TdF.

I hope he does have a disaster. It may actually give him something real to winge about. Given your location 'yellow peril'I know you are probably a big fan(and rightly so given his exploits) but IMO he comes over in interviews like a spoiled teenager and I cannot really summon any enthusiasum for him. I hope Boonen actually beats him on a head to head just to bring him down a notch.

You are right watching him at the end of todays stage whinging like a little girl for his helper what an ars*hole.

MG

i wouldnt say he was whinging for no reason, end of what looked like a hard stage into wind he seemed to have no one about giving him any sort of drink or anything. he seemed to have the edge of boonen there though, another great performance by cervelo and in particular lloydy
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    le patron wrote:
    just tuned in too late, was it a proper job Boonen v Cav sprint ?
    they went head to head, It looked to me like Cav had Boonen but also looked like he might catch a kerb and Boonen either sat up because he was beat or thought Cav was going into the kerb ... or maybe a bit of both?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    It seemed almost like Boonen realised that he'd nearly put Cav over the kerb and then sat up as a way of saying sorry.

Funny, with sprinters they usually cross the line first then apologise!! Maybe Boonen was thinking he might get DQd or demoted, thus losing time bonuses - it was a pretty blatant obstruction...

Either way I'd say Cav was the quicker of the two men on this occasion....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    edited February 2009
    They lost pictures from 4.5k out to about 800 metres from the line and only had quite a low down head on shot from behind the finish line for that last bit. Pity because the racing for the 20km previous had been superb - Cervelo again doing some major damage in the windy conditions after the initial 7 man break had been reeled in. A few fights, a few crashes as they piled on the pressure and split the peloton apart. At one stage they dropped Cav, forming a leading bunch of 12 that had 6 Cervelo riders plus Boonen. Got upto 22 seconds lead before slowly being reeled in with around 5km to go by the 25 or so riders still chasing hard which included Lampre and Columbia.

Looked to me that Boonen was shot - he'd done a lot of riding with Cervelo trying to make the final break stay away and he wobbled into Cav and it killed his momentum (and also sent Cav almost crashing out over the pavement).
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Three wins out of four for the Brits.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited February 2009
    A ripper!
    Went from deadly dull to edge of the seat, in the blink of an eye.

Mr Dish had a very narrow escape with that curb.
    Eric Zabel been hired as his soigneur?
    Hollywood wives at the end.

3 crashes, a flock of sheep and loads and loads of sand.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Bugger,
    I watched it for an hour and they still had 30km to go when I was so bored I decided to go for a ride! :D Hopefully catch the highlights somewhere... :(
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • moray_gub
    stefrees wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Brian B wrote:
    Hopefully

MG

i wouldnt say he was whinging for no reason, end of what looked like a hard stage into wind he seemed to have no one about giving him any sort of drink or anything. he seemed to have the edge of boonen there though, another great performance by cervelo and in particular lloydy

i never said he was whinging for no reason but it came across as pathetic, as Brian B says he needs to wait until he has something real to whinge about.

MG
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    pottssteve wrote:
    Bugger,
    I watched it for an hour and they still had 30km to go when I was so bored I decided to go for a ride! :D Hopefully catch the highlights somewhere... :(

Midnight on Eurosport.
  • moray_gub
    Bartali wrote:
    Good for him ... I thoght he was out the back?

I look forward to the highlights!

A ripper!
    Went from deadly dull to edge of the seat, in the blink of an eye.

Mr Dish had a very narrow escape with that curb.
    Eric Zabel been hired as his soigneur?
    Hollywood wives at the end.

3 crashes, a flock of sheep and loads and loads of sand.

Watched it on Sky Player on line for first time today was great picture and no freezing, well apart from the last 4k........wait wasnt that...........:-)

MG
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thank you, stagehopper - but that's 8am over here and I'll be at work. :cry:

Youtube?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Blimey, Cavendish nearly had a kerb incident there!

"Where's my helper?.. WHERE'S MY HELPER!?!?!?!"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cavendish was ahead of Boonen when Boonen sat up IMO...
  • A good win.

On the Cav attitude, I'm not Manx and I don't know him personally but I know if you are a decent enough rider and can keep up (I'm not and I can't) you can ride out on a club run with him, Johnny Bellis, Peter Kennaugh et al whenever they are back on the Island. There are no airs or graces with these guys they are just talented young lads who are happy to ride with anyone who can stay the pace.

I doubt you could rub shoulders with the elite of other sports in that way and I can't imagine LA, Boonen or any of the other top riders still do that. However, I'm prepared to stand corrected on that.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /feb05news

"Mark Cavendish, multiple stage winner in the Giro d'Italia and Tour de France in 2008, recorded his first win of the new year in the Tour of Qatar's fourth stage to Madinat Al Shamal. The Briton of Team Columbia-High Road thanked the man he beat - one of his top rivals, Tom Boonen.

"I want to thank Tom for opening the door again for me; it could have ended quite grimly. It was not like 'Cavendish one up on Boonen' because he could have easily had one up on me," Cavendish told Cyclingnews.

Columbia's sprint leader acknowledged that Boonen could have moved just slightly more to the right in the finish and left him with no space to pass; instead, Boonen kept his line straight down the road along the Gulf of Bahrain waterfront and finished the day in third, behind Cavendish and Heinrich Haussler."
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • A good win.

On the Cav attitude, I'm not Manx and I don't know him personally but I know if you are a decent enough rider and can keep up (I'm not and I can't) you can ride out on a club run with him, Johnny Bellis, Peter Kennaugh et al whenever they are back on the Island. There are no airs or graces with these guys they are just talented young lads who are happy to ride with anyone who can stay the pace.

I doubt you could rub shoulders with the elite of other sports in that way and I can't imagine LA, Boonen or any of the other top riders still do that. However, I'm prepared to stand corrected on that.

I've seen pictures rattling around on Facebook with some of the Garmin team at a training camp riding with 'civvies', but I would say it's rare.
  • Is this the first time that three Brits have won stages of a race at this level? I'm hardly a protour aficionado, so maybe its not that rare, but I can't think of any such occurenences recently...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    At what level? The Tour of Qatar is worth even less then the TdU.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cav takes another stage.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Hammond 3rd, Lloyd 4th on GC. Cervelo Test team manage to get 6 riders in the top 10.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    cant see any reports on web yet. was it Cav-v-Boonen sprint?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team Columbia-Highroad
    2 Robert Förster (Ger) Team Milram
    3 Heinrich Haussler (Ger) Cervélo TestTeam
    4 Hans Dekkers (Ned) Garmin - Slipstream
    5 Francesco Chicchi (Ita) Liquigas
    6 Danilo Napolitano (Ita) Team Katusha
    7 Angelo Furlan (Ita) Lampre - N.G.C.
    8 Kenny Van Hummel (Ned) Skil-Shimano
    9 Roy Sentjens (Bel) Silence - Lotto
    10 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step

Boonen started sprinting with 150m to go but sat up a long way before the line. Cavendish had already won it by that point... he was miles in front.
  • Miles in front and still pulling away!
    Boonen sat up well before the line, lost 4 or 5 places.
    Haussler got "Best Young Rider" by a couple of minutes.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    can cervelo keep it up?
  • What a result!

Two Stages for Cav, a podium for Hammond, three riders in the top ten...

Not a bad week's work at all by the Brits
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition