Tour of Qatar - SPOILER

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    lol - did anyone see boonen having a rant at one of the cervello riders? It seems like the pace was too high or something because even the american beef riders had a little chuckle
    cartoon.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did...
    I think he was hoping for everyone else to tow him to a win...
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    oops - not the American beef riders.. I meant the high road riders...
    cartoon.jpg
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    mwo wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Going off topic for a moment...

I see Eurosport are now offering the "Eurosport Player", you subscribe online to watch their output. Has anyone tried it? Their free feeds last year needed a magnifying glass to watch, is the online subscription offering high streaming rates?

I had a look at it, but it seems to be Windows only, so I didn't sign up. I did try it on a friend's computer and they show you a test video, which was bigger and better than the free feeds.

If you're not a Windows user SkyPlayer has a live stream of Eurosport 1, but it costs £15 a month, compared to Eurosport Player's £4 a month for Eurosport 1 and 2. Though it might be free if you're a Sky subscriber. The SkyPlayer quality is better than any of the free feeds I've seen.

Both of them looked about the same quality as an iPlayer stream to me.

I spent a frustrating morning on the phone to Sky in an attempt to get SKYPLAYER operational. wont bore you with details - suffice to say some of the call centres are as useful as a chocolate teapot - but eventually got their Scottish call centre and found some sense. if you are a full on Sky subscriber and have a Multi room subscription you can get live sport on any channel through your PC.
    there are teething problems as I do have the monty subscription and cannot watch yet - they have promised a resolution within a week. thereafter I will have eurosport coverage live to pc - bodes well for the big tours.......
    quality is excellent if the re-run of LOST is anything to go by...
  • camerone
    mwo wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

I see Eurosport are now offering the "Eurosport Player", you subscribe online to watch their output. Has anyone tried it? Their free feeds last year needed a magnifying glass to watch, is the online subscription offering high streaming rates?

I had a look at it, but it seems to be Windows only, so I didn't sign up. I did try it on a friend's computer and they show you a test video, which was bigger and better than the free feeds.

If you're not a Windows user SkyPlayer has a live stream of Eurosport 1, but it costs £15 a month, compared to Eurosport Player's £4 a month for Eurosport 1 and 2. Though it might be free if you're a Sky subscriber. The SkyPlayer quality is better than any of the free feeds I've seen.

I spent a frustrating morning on the phone to Sky in an attempt to get SKYPLAYER operational. wont bore you with details - suffice to say some of the call centres are as useful as a chocolate teapot - but eventually got their Scottish call centre and found some sense. if you are a full on Sky subscriber and have a Multi room subscription you can get live sport on any channel through your PC.
    there are teething problems as I do have the monty subscription and cannot watch yet - they have promised a resolution within a week. thereafter I will have eurosport coverage live to pc - bodes well for the big tours.......
  • camerone
    mwo wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

• camerone
    mwo wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

• camerone
    really sorry about triplicate post!!!!!! really slow broadband...
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Nice move by Hammond - and it makes a bold statement to Prudhomme, too.
  • Harp
    Harp Posts: 79
    Can someone explain to me how it is more difficult to defend the jersey rather than just ride as they would had they not won the jersey ?
    To defend it Ithey have to cover all the moves if they want to hang onto it , but is this more difficult than the team trying to do as well as possible in the GC ?
    Is it a case of the rest of the peloton ride against the team in the jersey ?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    micron wrote:
    Nice move by Hammond - and it makes a bold statement to Prudhomme, too.

So what does Hammond winning a stage of what is esentially a minor early season warm up jolly say to Prudhomme then ?

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    That his team deserve consideration for a place in the TdF perhaps? Particularly since ASO run both races.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Harp wrote:
    Can someone explain to me how it is more difficult to defend the jersey rather than just ride as they would had they not won the jersey?
    Because the team of the overall leader is expected to close down breaks etc - this means they could end up riding at the front of the race for most of each stage while they have the overall leader, which invariably means they all end up knackered having towed the rest of the peloton around for several days.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Stage 3 : Boonen
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    What's that phrase about "a line in the sand" ?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    micron wrote:
    That his team deserve consideration for a place in the TdF perhaps? Particularly since ASO run both races.

They've got Sastre and Hushovd.......surely they'll get a place anyway.....???
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Did Boonen beat Cav head to head?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Apparently Cav punctured inside the last 2km. He won't be a happy chappy!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • liversedge
    scratch that - just read on bbc sport that Cav had a flat in the last 2km.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Hopefully Cav will have enough in the tank for another go later on. I hope this race doesn't turn out to be a disaster like his 07 TdF.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:

Yep youre right after all having Carlos Sastre in your team aint gonna cut no ice with ol Christian is it !

MG
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:

They've got Sastre and Hushovd.......surely they'll get a place anyway.....???

well you know that and i know that...................

MG
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:

Yep youre right after all having Carlos Sastre in your team aint gonna cut no ice with ol Christian is it !

Like when they invited the team with the guy who won it and the guy who came 3'rd in 07 to last years event?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:

MG

Yes, of course having Carlos in the team is a strong card. It probably would not have helped to get a wildcard in the 2005-2007, PT rules period, though. Room had to be found for Agritubel. :wink:

They forgot to invite Pantani and his team in 2001 and 2003, when they had a lot more than 2 wildcards......
    Nothing is written in stone, as Iain has kindly pointed out!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Sastre was suggesting in an interview pre-Xmas that they'd already been given the unofficial nod for all three Grand Tours and his latest interview in Cycling News seems to back that up.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Hopefully Cav will have enough in the tank for another go later on. I hope this race doesn't turn out to be a disaster like his 07 TdF.

I hope he does have a disaster. It may actually give him something real to winge about. Given your location 'yellow peril'I know you are probably a big fan(and rightly so given his exploits) but IMO he comes over in interviews like a spoiled teenager and I cannot really summon any enthusiasum for him. I hope Boonen actually beats him on a head to head just to bring him down a notch.
    Brian B.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:

Like when they invited the team with the guy who won it and the guy who came 3'rd in 07 to last years event?

There were issues surrounding that team which are not applicable in this case so like i say having CS in the team more or less guarantes a spot and anyway CS himself says they got numbers 1-9 already so take out of that what you will. The point stands though winning a stage of a minor earlty season warm up means diddly squat to the teams TDF application.

MG
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:

MG

Yes, of course having Carlos in the team is a strong card. It probably would not have helped to get a wildcard in the 2005-2007, PT rules period, though. Room had to be found for Agritubel. :wink:

They forgot to invite Pantani and his team in 2001 and 2003, when they had a lot more than 2 wildcards......
    Nothing is written in stone, as Iain has kindly pointed out!

Em they didnt forget to invite they didnt want to invite for obvious reasons, nobody is saying its written in stone but its being suggested that winning a stage of a minor early season warm up is somehow sending out a bold message to Christian Prudhomme , clearly i think thats nonsense you dont fair enough.

MG
  • liversedge
    Cav!

bunch sprint, Boonen "sat up" ... :-)
    --
  • just tuned in too late, was it a proper job Boonen v Cav sprint ?