power when climbing vs. on the flat with Tacx Fortius

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited February 2009 in Training, fitness and health
I find I can maintain a considerably higher wattage when climbing on the tacx fortius than on the flat. In line with that, my heart rate is slightly higher too. It seems much more difficult and painful to maintain the same wattage on the flat, and even to get my HR up to the same level. Somehow the "pain" when climbing is less unpleasant, although it's just as intense.

Would I find the same thing if I was able to measure my power when on the road, or is it a quirk of the fortius? If the former, what's the explanation, and how do I develop the ability to put out the same power on the flat?

Comments

• Neeb, I notice the same wattage variations as you describe on the Fortius. High on climbs, lower on the flats and much lower on downhills. I don't have a powermeter but i'd think this is pretty much what happens on the road as well.

Allen & Coggan's Power training book talks about the stochastic nature of cycling and suggests that when trying to set your FTP in a 20 min time trial, to select a road that has a constant uphill grade or a flat road with a headwind to give you enough resistance to generate your best effort.

On the flats with the Fortius or any turbo, you don't have the wind resistance that you would have out on the road so perhaps this may have some effect on the lower readings produced.

Improving your FTP should increase your ability to sustain higher wattages on the flat or hills either on or off the turbo. There are lots of threads about that on the forum.