Attn SCR HOTA team

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
You got PM :wink:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Good luck to all SCR sportivers(?)

Be careful out there!
    8)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Have a great day everyone. Will be thinking of you all...

xx
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Good luck all. Hope the temps aren't too low.

Remember: the honour of SCR rests with you. Do us proud!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    edited January 2009
    That's round my old neck of the woods,

Fun times in the CCF. at school...

Mmm Harvey's beers...

Best to start and finish in East Sussex for that reason...

good luck
  • Hope it all goes well guys!
  • Yep good luck all. Have fun :wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Good luck team - keep it rubber side down 8)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Guys - am really looking forward to the reporting back!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    hills
    snow
    ice
    hills
    freezing
    numb hands
    numb toes, then feet, then ankles
    more hills
    descents that hurt my hands
    frozen energy bar
    whiteout
    headwinds
    slight detour or two
    iced-up brakes
    hills
    sidewinds
    did I mention the hills?

brilliant time had by all :wink:

My target was threefold:
    1) to finish
    2) to make it up all the hills without having to push
    3) to see a friendly face or two when I got back

Job done :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Oh, well done sweetie.

Bet that bath you almost certainly had when you got home was the best thing you ever did.

Can you still move?

:wink:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Wot linsen said ;)

Lots of hills, very little flat, only the very occasional bit of tailwind (the only bit i noticed was up the 'sting in the tail' climb a few miles from the finish)

Chris and I started in the last group* on the road so it was scalp city for the entire ride :)

Even with the snow 3/4 of the way through it was a lovely ride :)

And I met Linsen and Rob for the first time :)

* actually Chris did a monster first few miles chase to catch up to the last group
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    According to my 705 the 25% hill was the first one. The hill just before the first feed zone topped out about 22%. The 'sting in the tail' was only 14% at its steepest. 1684m total ascent/descent in 103.5km
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    There were hills?

Can't say I noticed :lol:

Ah! well earned beer :D

See the route in glorious colour (with pics) - that snow was ridiculous, but all round a great day.

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=650972

Next stop for the SCR sportive team is mad March Marlborough.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Chapeau SCRers!!

All I managed today was a trip to the supermarket and then trying not to wheely the bike on the way home where I had so much on the back.

Linsen - well done on not pushing on the hills, what a great feeling.

25% hills.... :shock:
  • cjcp
    Yep, that was brilliant. Cold, but brilliant. Always wanted to ride in those conditions. It was fantastic - that quietness which you seem to get when there's snow. Have got a picture of Attica at the final tea stop and a shot of the conditions - will post tomorrow.

As Jon said, started late so had get a wiggle on to catch him up over the first few miles. That cleared the lungs!
    :lol:
    Punctured at 40miles. My fingers weren't really working (snapped the top of the valve off pumping it back up :roll: ), but Attica was on hand to help out. :) Cheers, fella - hope the weather was ok for the journey back west.

Tried to stay with Jon as best I could, but got dropped on a climb (at the top of which I punctured). He'd waited around quite enough at the top of earlier climbs and there was no way I was going to catch him. (The whole day, I didn't see anyone who came remotely close to matching his speed up the steeper sections. :shock: No, hang on, there was this one car... :wink: )

Head/sidewinds were a bit brutal at times, but we did at least have a belter of a tailwind up the final climb! There were some sections where you could get into a rhythm, but not for too long. Those who went off early definitely had the best of the conditions. There was some slush on the roads which made things a little tricky, but conditions weren't as bad as they might have been had it been colder last night. Until the snow came of course.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep, that was brilliant. Cold, but brilliant. Always wanted to ride in those conditions. It was fantastic - that quietness which you seem to get when there's snow. Have got a picture of Attica at the final tea stop and a shot of the conditions - will post tomorrow.

As Jon said, started late so had get a wiggle on to catch him up over the first few miles. That cleared the lungs!
    :lol:
    Punctured at 40miles. My fingers weren't really working (snapped the top of the valve off pumping it back up :roll: ), but Attica was on hand to help out. :) Cheers, fella - hope the weather was ok for the journey back west.

Tried to stay with Jon as best I could, but got dropped on a climb (at the top of which I punctured). He'd waited around quite enough at the top of earlier climbs and there was no way I was going to catch him. (The whole day, I didn't see anyone who came remotely close to matching his speed up the steeper sections. :shock: No, hang on, there was this one car... :wink: )

Head/sidewinds were a bit brutal at times, but we did at least have a belter of a tailwind up the final climb! There were some sections where you could get into a rhythm, but not for too long. Those who went off early definitely had the best of the conditions. There was some slush on the roads which made things a little tricky, but conditions weren't as bad as they might have been had it been colder last night. Until the snow came of course.
    That was bad timing for the puncture (can't think of a good time, mind). I soft-pedalled after the top of the hill but after a couple of miles I realized you weren't coming back. Then I had a moment of doubt that the group I was tracking weren't on HOTA but were just out for a ride and I'd gone off course... That was about when the blizzard started :shock: Luckily it was just a longer gap between signs and riders to overtake 8)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Yep, better than you carried on (although I now remember saying to you at the bottom of that climb - when I saw the gradient - that you shouldn't wait :-)!)

How's your wrist? Is the bruising up? (Jon took a tumble everyone - some sympathy please ladies!)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep, better than you carried on (although I now remember saying to you at the bottom of that climb - when I saw the gradient - that you shouldn't wait :-)!)

How's your wrist? Is the bruising up? (Jon took a tumble everyone - some sympathy please ladies!)
    It hurtee :cry:
    Nah, not too bad. Big bruise but full motion on it. Ibuprofen gel + RICE* to the rescue!

Anyway, tumble? What tumble? Nobody saw it, didn't happen. Big boy did it, ran away ;)
    OK, had a stupid fall in the snow just after the full fury of the blizzard when there were no car tracks to follow... not biking to work tomorrow. The gardens outside my flat are a winter wonderland

* minus the I, had enough of that for one day
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • So impressed with you guys! Well done!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm humbled by all your efforts, awesome achievement considering the conditions. All I accomplished this weekend was survivung Glasgow.
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    what times did you do?
  • cjcp
    Here are some shots of Attica, myself and the conditions at the final tea/coffee stop. The poor lady serving up it up was covered in snow, so a big thanks to her!

3247027004_816f488276_m.jpg

3247026458_aa49e28804_m.jpg

3247027442_69b77b9fcd_m.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    16simon wrote:
    what times did you do?

Probably just under five hours. Forgot any possibility of getting a decent time after I'd punctured and when the snow came down - we were crawling at 8mph at one point and there was a benefit to riding in numbers atthat stage so we'd stand out more to cars. A sub-4 hour time was easily on the cards otherwise.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    WELL, the first lap for me was pretty quick, and I was quite surprised when the others weren't there to meet me so I popped round again - that was a bit tiring

:wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    16simon wrote:
    what times did you do?

Probably just under five hours. Forgot any possibility of getting a decent time after I'd punctured and when the snow came down - we were crawling at 8mph at one point and there was a benefit to riding in numbers atthat stage so we'd stand out more to cars. A sub-4 hour time was easily on the cards otherwise.
    Everything went into slow motion once the snow started coming down. Thank goodness for the uphills, they kept the blood flowing to my hands :)
    Great pictures Chris, that tea stop was much appreciated. Chapeau to all the marshals. My official time was 4:05
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Rapid downhills on snow ice without working brakes, now that's MTFU big time 8)
  • itboffin
    The official photos have been posted

http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/index.tlx
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    The official photos have been posted

http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/index.tlx
    Cheers ITB. You can search for your photos using your start number. For your amusement my start number was 875
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    edited February 2009
    There's so great ones of Attica :lol:

The snow pics are not online yet, shame we didn't get a team photo.

Edit: i'm no. 872