Off topic film ideas please

2»

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I can't really think of any new ones I've seen recently that I'd recommend.

Stardust I really liked, but it's been out a while so you may have seen it.

The Happening is possibly worth a worth for the hilarious ridiculousness of it.

Maybe The Dark Knight, or the new Mummy film for the kids?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    linsen wrote:
    I realise the problem I hav ehere is that I have asked a load of blokes (Li excepted) to recommend films

:?

Ok...errrr

Steel Magnolias
    Beaches
    Dirty Dancing
    Sleeples in Seattle
    Fried Green Tomatoes

I have NEVER seen any of the above but have witnessed my sisters weeping into their ice cream and watching the above.
  • Braindead: early peter jackson, hilarious zombie film, inc. zombies shagging.

+1 excellent film.
    Zoolander
    Anchorman
    Both excellent, if you like Will Ferrell there is also "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" which also has Sacha Baron Cohen.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Ooooh brun I saw your ad!

Very good it is too.
    Hooray! And thanks :)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    1) Stage Coach - The blueprint for most Westerns or The Searchers will do
    2) Casablanca - best dialogue of any film a must watch.
    3) Zulu - Michael Cane: don't chuck those bloody spears at me or Kim - Imperailism at it's cinematic best!
    4) A Matter of Life & Death (the one where David Niven goes to Heaven...quite brilliant, a must watch)
    5) Trainspotting - best film of the 1990s

Some real timeless classics there I reckon. I've watched them all several times and still enjoy them.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    ince wrote:
    Mirrormask
    Jen J wrote:
    Stardust I really liked, but it's been out a while so you may have seen it
    Neil Gaiman is ace.

It's not been mentioned above but The Usual Suspects is one of my faves
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    passout wrote:
    4) A Matter of Life & Death (the one where David Niven goes to Heaven...quite brilliant, a must watch)

Some real timeless classics there I reckon. I've watched them all several times and still enjoy them.

I love this movie, must have watched it 10 times.

Keeping with the good old days of cinema I would add:-

The ladykillers - the original of course.

Grosse Pointe Blank is another movie that I can watch over and over because of its dark humour and 80's sound track.

Ferris Buellers Day off is just classic

Point Break or The big lebowski? The last 3 can fight it out amongst themselves but they are all great for slobbing in front of the TV.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    linsen wrote:
    I realise the problem I hav ehere is that I have asked a load of blokes (Li excepted) to recommend films

:?

Yes, I think you are right. Films about killing dogs then shagging and eating them were the first 'feel-good' things that came to my mind too :roll:
  • Yes, I think you are right. Films about killing dogs then shagging and eating them were the first 'feel-good' things that came to my mind too Rolling Eyes

Mamma Mia it is then :D
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    linoue wrote:
    Yes, I think you are right. Films about killing dogs then shagging and eating them were the first 'feel-good' things that came to my mind too Rolling Eyes

I may be a girl but that was pure unadulterated drivel
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • I confess that I haven't seen it. It seemed to be popular though.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Not knowing your preference for films makes it a bit difficult to recommend much but
    Horror Rec (Spanish, remade by Hollywood as Quarantine)
    Comedy Zoolander
    Action The Nest (hard to find, but excellent French siege movie)
    RomCom Don't do RomCom, how about Shaun of the Dead?
    Other Oldboy

(I like subtitled films :wink: )
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    IRONMAN!

Good fun hero romp! Otherwise, you have to sit and intellectualise - cannot do that too often with kids running about the place!
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    linsen wrote:
    linoue wrote:
    Yes, I think you are right. Films about killing dogs then shagging and eating them were the first 'feel-good' things that came to my mind too Rolling Eyes

+1

I'd rather watch someone kill, shag and eat the aforementioned dog than watch that again :evil:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    don_don wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    linoue wrote:

+1

I'd rather watch someone kill, shag and eat the aforementioned dog than watch that again :evil:

hahahahaha you've actually watched it!
    Actually I shouldn't be surprised; I read the other day that 25% of british homes own a copy on DVD. That is a truly depressing stat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3521303/Ten-copies-of-Mamma-Mia-sold-every-second.html
  • I am also one of these 'burd' things, and it's a definite +1 for the 'pure unadulterated drivel' line of thinking.

Bit of a weird role swap in our house when 'im indoors put said drivel on and was, on occasions, attempting some dance moves (upper body only, still disturbing) while I was busy trying to gouge out my eyes with a coat hanger and smother myself with a cushion. Why did so many people buy the DVD, why?!

Film-wise I'd go for the classics -
    Money Pit
    Clue
    National Lampoons Vacation
    National Lampoons European Vacation
    Dodgeball
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • "I watch films to entertain me, not make me scared or miserable"

Some miseryless entertainments I've seen recently:

Wall●E
    Hitchcock's North by Northwest
    Be Kind Rewind
    I ♥ Huckabees
    Singin in the Rain

Who suggested that Battle Royale won't make you miserable? It's about kids being forced to kill each other! If that doesn't make you sad then.... then I don't even know what.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I ♥ Huckabees

That was weird. Seriously fluffin' weird.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Sonnenallee
    Schindler's List
    Casablanca
    The big Lebowski
    Happiness (the Solondz one - sp?)

Constant Gardener would have gone on but I am so reluctant to watch films of books which I have loved - they often mess about with them.
    The only exception to this is The Reader - an awesome book and film. No messing required.

And those are the results of the linsen jury

Thanks for your suggestions :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Mine are

Grosse Point Blank - Awesomeness with amazing soundtrack and Minnie Driver looking HOT
    No Country for old man - Bleak but so beautifully dark.
    Anchorman - Funniest film in a long time
    Akira - If you haven't seen this you should
    American Flyer - One bit of Kevin Costner cycling cheese for the hell of it, not great but a switch of brain and enjoy kinda thang.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • If there is room for one more, I really liked Juno. Comedy, slightly offbeat, endearing characters, good dialogue, fairly upbeat.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467406/
  • you might like to try

Kubrick's Cycle Paths of Glory, "When cyclists refuse to continue with an impossible road..."

Fleming's Gone With the Wind, "It's the history of a selfish woman who doesn't want to admit her feelings about the man she loves to race, and finally she loses him in the traffic."

Scorcese's Taxi Driver, "On every street in every city, there's a nobody who dreams of being a somebody."

Cimino's The Gear Hunter, "An in-depth examination of the way that a man's obsession with lycra affects the lives of people in a small industrial town in the USA."

Roeg's Cycleabout, "A boy and girl face the challenge of the world's last frontier. Dangers they had never known before... A people they had never seen before... the messengers."