not the right bike to become part of the mb gang

13»

Comments

• I havent had my new bike that long really, it cost me a grand... plus another few hundred on other kit to go with it... When I choose to do something I tend to go the whole hog and get everything I need in one go, thats just me and the way I do things. I dont care if Im seen as someone who has "all the gear no idea" I enjoy my biking and what other people think of me or my set up is up to them.

Now there is one thing in that last sentence that some people should take a look at. If you ride past me or anyone else for that matter on your £10 bike and think "hahah my bike is worth nothing, Im wearing jeans and Ive overtaken that bloke/girl on thier £2k bike" then you are doing still being snobby about something, its just a differnet something from the original version posted about on this thread

Why not catch up with that person, cycle alongside and have a chat, if they sneer at your bike, by all means take off and show them what you can do, however my guess is they will converse with you....

welcome to my first post on here :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    recoil wrote:
    Now there is one thing in that last sentence that some people should take a look at. If you ride past me or anyone else for that matter on your £10 bike and think "hahah my bike is worth nothing, Im wearing jeans and Ive overtaken that bloke/girl on thier £2k bike" then you are doing still being snobby about something, its just a differnet something from the original version posted about on this thread

Yup, absolutely. You have no idea at all what's going on with that rider, he might be totally green to the sport and still learning, but still doing great for his ability, or he could be recovering from a big injury, or he could be hungover ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I think that the main issue here is not thinking something bad about another rider, but going out of your way to express what you are thinking to belittle said rider. IMO it is all about respect and common curtiousy.

No-one can tell me that if they surpass someone on a perceived superiour bike/set-up, that they won't be at least slightly pleased with themselves, and on the flip side if you see someone on an 'Argos Raleigh special' at a trail centre you are likely to think to yourself that they are liable to kill themselves and that they must be crazy to try riding that bike. No one would blame you for thinking those things, It is expressing this to the rider through random comments that is where the issue is.