not the right bike to become part of the mb gang

grumlethegoat
grumlethegoat Posts: 44
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
We have been serious runners for a good few years but due to ongoing knee injuries I (and now we, hubby and i) have taken our mountain biking more serious and have decided to enter a few events, we always felt when we were running that entering events gave you more incentive to train.
We have always just used our old mountain bikes but decided to upgrade a bit to decent bikes/helmets/general gear but we are not in the price range of thousands of pounds and have bought 2 Claud Butlers cape wraths but since reading more and more in the MB magazines etc it seems that other mb ers seem to look down a bit at people who haven't got the big money bikes. I never found this in running, maybe it was because proper trainers cost between £70 and £100 which is affordable to most.
Is this how it really is?

Comments

• Unfortunately there is an imaginary line between peopl who own 'Mountain Bikes' abd mountain bikers. There are a lot of extremely poor, heavy, cheap bikes that claim to be MTB's, but in all honestly would be dangerous on a decent trail.

It's those people that MTB'ers tend to look down on. Unfortunately that view seems to be moving up the price scale. Once upon a time it was reserved for the likes of the Halfords Shockwave type bikes, but the view seems to be moving towards most bikes that cost less than £300.

It's a real shame, as it could put off new riders such as yourselves. The sad truth is, it is an expensive sport, but the market has been flooded with wannabe mountain bikes that are barely suitable for canal tow paths.

You bikes don't fall into the cheap and nasty range, so there should be no issues with the actual bikes. Next is to overcome the attitudes of a select few (honestly we're not all obsessed with weight and the latest XTR groupset).

In the end if you get out and ride and enjoy it, then it really doesn't matter what you're riding. You never know, when you're actually out on the trails, you may come across the odd friendly face.

It's worth trying a few trail centers to just get out and ride on, as this gives the opportunity to ride at your own pace (which can still be fast if you want it to be) and there's loads of friendly folks about.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I don't want to come across all righteous and that but for me it really doesn't matter what you ride. Cheap, expensive, who cares ? Why place so much emphasis on what someone chooses to spend on what is, after all, a bicycle ?

Now, I remember when...
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Remember that no amount of money can upgrade the engine on a bicycle ;-) All bikes look the same when they're covered in mud, and provided you've trained well and your bike isn't the kind which tends to fall to bits on the trail (and yours aren't), you'll find that while a lot of people might be looking down on you, they'll be looking down on your back receding into the distance.....
  • welcome to the forum
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is a lot of snobbery in biking unfortunately. Claud Butler Cape Wraths are excellent bikes, good frames and well thought out spec. And not what I'd call cheap.

Good bikes for off road start from 200 quid, but that doesn't mean I'd look down at people who have less than this. I'd encourage them all I could.

What Mountain Bike has excellent beginners features and fully embraces all aspects of mountain biking from the budget conscious starter to the experienced enthusiast.
  • There maybe is some snobbery somewhere, but as a long time biker, motorbike and bicycle, I've always enjoyed the company of people who share the same interests as myself.

In my time on two wheels I'd have to say that almost everyone I've had contact with has been cool and if someone does have better kit than you, well that's just something to discuss and get chatting about.

Joe.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I know how you feel.

My first 'proper' bike was a Decathlon in 2007. Cost me £700 and was a good bike spec-wise (certainly no piece of junk).

I did feel a bit self concsious (sp) though as every other bugger had Spesh this and Kona that, but I knew I was reasonably fit and had come to Afan or the experience and to decide if MTB'ing was to be my next 'money drain'!

Anyways, some asshole with a 50lb Giant Downhill rig (why? Too much bike I thought for the trails) went past and looked at my bike and me like I was stuck to the bottom of his shoe. I felt rather inadequate I have to say.....

So, as we (mates and I) sat outside the repair shop, off he and his mates went up Whites Level.

My mate had a brake issue which took 20 mins to sort out. Anyway, off we set. 40 mins later I go past Mr asshole as he puffed and panted his way up the trail.

We rested 10 mins later and I expressed my joy at passing the oaf!

So - your bike is up to the job and you (being runners (or ex-runners)) will have a good engine on you.

Cobblers to the snobs, get out and enjor your riding.

ATB
    BJB
  • As I'm always saying to my OH - 'It's not what you've got it's how you use it' :D:D

To which she usually replies....... 'precisely' :? :cry:
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    People dressed up in all the gear too are often like this! I often ride in a cheap golf suit, tracksuits, whatever - get some right looks!
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I have experienced this type of snobbery too ! I have a 2007 Carrera Fury with a few upgrades but I still see the sniggers sometimes as I drive into the car park with it on the bike rack !! Its a good looking bike but it has the Halfords stigma attatched to it :roll:

However I take pride in the fact that I bought the best specced bike available for the money regardless of the name on the frame and It has served me well through 2 winters of thrashing around Cwmcarn XC with very few problems.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    maybe it was because proper trainers cost between £70 and £100 which is affordable to most.
    Is this how it really is?

Ah well, there you go you see - I wouldn't spend £70 on a pair of runners! Why should I when I can get a perfectly proper looking pair of Nikes from Sports Direct for £25?

But then again, I wouldn't get out of bed for a "serious" bike under £1000!!!

It's horses for courses. What suits you might not suit someboday else, but who the hell cares? Both my bikes have the best part of a month's salary tied up them, but I STILL get looked down on by some people!!

As someone else has already said, the "sneerers" are usually those who look the part but can't ride to save their lives. One of my semi-regular riding buddys has a Santa Cruz Nomad which cost him the best part of £3500 to put together - he's massively over-biked in that a) it's too big for him anyway, and b) he sometimes gets off and walks DOWN hills!! :shock:

As long as YOU enjoy yourself, don't let yourselves get wound up by other people's shortcomings.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Nice, firm, Fife-loaded, "Shut up...ya d**k!"

That'll do the trick to anyone sniggering, I hope one day I can use this response to someone who may want to give greif about the Halfords only Boardmans.

Welcome to the forum, want to know how you get on in your events, probably blitz quite a few rich monkeys on their ridiculously over-price for their talent bikes. Not having a go at these people either just the ones with the attitude. :D
  • Pfffft!.. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it! Simple as.

The rest is "boys and their toys", harmless enough maybe?
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Ah well, there you go you see - I wouldn't spend £70 on a pair of runners! Why should I when I can get a perfectly proper looking pair of Nikes from Sports Direct for £25?
    Dave hills - I did try running in standard trainers but it doesn't do your knee's much good pounding the roads without the support so I always ran in Asics 1130, 2130, etc as it was the only shoe that didn't cause me problems with long distance running although saying that my knee's are now shot so ........ :roll:
    Thanks for all your welcoming messages and for the encouragement, very much appreciated and I'm looking forward to joining the forum more often.
    I will let you know how we get on in the events. We always race each other as much as the other competitors and I have only ever beaten him in one running race so this may be 'my' time :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    KonaMike wrote:
    I have experienced this type of snobbery too ! I have a 2007 Carrera Fury with a few upgrades but I still see the sniggers sometimes as I drive into the car park with it on the bike rack !! Its a good looking bike but it has the Halfords stigma attatched to it :roll:

I got a lot of that with my Kraken too... Often from people riding things like Cannondale F6s, Spesh Hardrocks and things which are worse bikes with better stickers on them. It's best not to spend too much time worried about what knobs think :lol: I've got a nice regular loop which I use for exercise/training, and you do get the occasional £2000 superbike but there's a lot of people up there on random ancient Raleighs and Rockhoppers and the like, plus even the occasional horrible apollo, and all having fun. Trail centres do bring out the worst of the snobbery though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    Nice, firm, Fife-loaded, "Shut up...ya d**k!"

Class! lol

Joe.
  • Stoo61
    I think a colloquial Scottish accent could be very useful to our English cousins out on the trails. :lol:
  • Maybe we could start classes in "creative answering back"?

Joe.
  • Stoo61
    Im game:

"Haw slowpoke, if you dinnae move yer arse oot ma way, i'll hand it tae ye!"

Ha...we're like Britain's little punch line....after the Welsh.... :roll:
  • "You ride that bike like your burd, and I wouldnae ride her into battle!"

Joe.
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    I find its usually the 'all the gear no idea' 25+year old riders who wont talk to you unless your bike is worth more than 2k.
    Those types usually turn up to the trail, stand around for a bit, attempt a run but end up walking and then sod off.
    The best part is that the local teenagers on lesser hardtail bikes run rings around the £2k full sus boys.
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    My old Trek 4300 has made it round the Red stuff at Golspie, Laggan and Cwm Carn without any problems.

You don't need anything too fancy for the riding that most people would do.
    Shot by both sides...
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Northwind wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:

I got a lot of that with my Kraken too... Often from people riding things like Cannondale F6s, Spesh Hardrocks and things which are worse bikes with better stickers on them. It's best not to spend too much time worried about what knobs think :lol: I've got a nice regular loop which I use for exercise/training, and you do get the occasional £2000 superbike but there's a lot of people up there on random ancient Raleighs and Rockhoppers and the like, plus even the occasional horrible apollo, and all having fun. Trail centres do bring out the worst of the snobbery though.

My LBS doesn't like me i think.

I've taken 2 Carreras there recently.... i have tried to engage them in conversation but DAMn it's hard. Either they dislike me because i'm a Scouser, or because i'm middle aged and fat... or it's the Carreras :)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've got a carrera Fury, you're ok by me
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • weeksy59
    edhornby wrote:
    I've got a carrera Fury, you're ok by me

I sold mine to my riding buddy last week :) 18" fury.

I bought a 20" Kraken, but really it's too big so sold to another mate this week and bought an 18" Cube.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    who cares what a few snobs think of you? so they have a 'real' mtb. good for them. it doesnt reflect poorly on you when they give you attitude, it reflects poorly on them, and , as theyre a bunch of knobbers, why do you care what they think?

ive ranted a little about these goos before and the magazines part in perpetuating the idea that you need the best and most expensive gear. I remember when a 4" travel bike with hydraulic rim brakes and a 9mm qr wheel set was good enough, but now it has to be a full on carbon monster with space age technology on it. those bikes and thier riders are, for the most part, the mtb equivalent of car park boy racers. they might look good but theyre over priced and under ridden.
  • weeksy59
    i had to laugh reading a MTB mag.....

"Budget bikes tested"

Not one was under £1500.... LOLOL
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    lets not get a load if reverse snobbery going on. Not all people that have the cash to splash on bikes and kit are bad riders. Also the right kit for the job makes life easy. I remember when i swapped from normal shorts to lycra padded shorts with baggies over.

If some one wants and can spend thousends on a bike and kit and then they get out and enjoy it but they cant ride for toffie then let them its there hobby let them enjoy it and dont look down on them for it.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • weeksy59 wrote:
    i had to laugh reading a MTB mag.....

"Budget bikes tested"

Not one was under £1500.... LOLOL
    I think its the same mag (MBR) that also says "1,292 Price in pounds of an mbr reader's average spend on a new bike" Silly magazine!
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    i'm a Scouser, or because i'm middle aged and fat... or it's the Carreras

Its not the bike mate! :twisted: