RP Training Group Ride - Sat 31st / Sun 1st

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Ok guys, a slack couple of weeks recently with poor weather / holidays / Australia Day celebrations getting in the way... :roll: :wink:

This weekend is already looking like it could be low on numbers with no Myk-ee, Art Vandelay or Phips, but I'm still up for something and could do with getting some decent miles in my legs on Sat and Sun, even if one ends up being something short and sweet...

So, who's in and what day? Cast your votes... :shock: 8)

As ever, newbies are more than welcome and positively encouraged, especially with so many no-shows already! :lol:

I'm sure the usual weather caveat applies, and if this doesn't get off the ground again this week (and the weather is ok) I may well end up on the Kingston Wheelers club run as I failed to make that in the poor weather last weekend! :roll: :oops: :lol:

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    At present I am on call this weekend, so I will be a no show.

I will let you know if anything changes :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    I prefer Sat over Sunday but both days weathers looking fine and dry.

I wouldn't mind going for a longer ride this week, doing Leith Hill and possibly another killer climb the other side of Leith which Al, Bern and I met once (when we missed the turn off for coldharbour).

Not fussed about speed so much as getting some more Ks and climbs into the legs.

The long grazed legged one
  • Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    I prefer Sat over Sunday but both days weathers looking fine and dry.

I wouldn't mind going for a longer ride this week, doing Leith Hill and possibly another killer climb the other side of Leith which Al, Bern and I met once (when we missed the turn off for coldharbour).

Not fussed about speed so much as getting some more Ks and climbs into the legs.
    Sounds right up my street buddy, and Sat might actually be better for me this weekend 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    Bugger - just remembered I'm going to the 'quins game on Sat! Will have to check on the KO time for that, but hopefully it's still early enough to get a decent spin in Sat am, even if I have to take a bail-out option part way round...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The emu wrote:

Emu - have you checked out Herncrest Hill (or something like that)? The top is not far from Leith Hill.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The emu
    Do you mean Henhurst Hill?

If so, probably the one I'm talking about.

The one we took was after missing the turn off at top of Leith Hill for Coldharbour, we continued heading east down the other side, around the base heading north on the A29 and then climbed back up the slope of it via Henhurst Cross Lane and Anstie Ln back onto Coldharbour Ln where we should have been.

After already doing a few hills that day it was a gut buster and easily over 20% grade near the top.

• Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Saturday is going to be the better day...they are forecasting a very cold Sunday.

So who is in? Rich, as I am still getting back into it and have errands to run in the afternoon, am happy to turn back part of the way with you if that's going to be goal.

Otherwise is Wilf the only other one in for a run this weekend?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The emu wrote:
    Do you mean Henhurst Hill?

If so, probably the one I'm talking about.

The one we took was after missing the turn off at top of Leith Hill for Coldharbour, we continued heading east down the other side, around the base heading north on the A29 and then climbed back up the slope of it via Henhurst Cross Lane and Anstie Ln back onto Coldharbour Ln where we should have been.

After already doing a few hills that day it was a gut buster and easily over 20% grade near the top.

Yep, Henhurst Hill - sorry, it's a year and a half since I've been there, so no idea how I got there other than it was off a main road. The one that gets me grabbing the handlebars with my teeth is Whitedown.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    Hey guys, I might tag along this saturday (seems like the day you are all going out) if you don't mind?

It depends on my plans for this weekend which are still being finalized but I will let you know. Is the meeting point richmond gate @ 9am still?

Might have to roll out on my nice wheels since it's gonna be dry for a change :D
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    I'm think i'm actually going to make it this time :) - the girlfriends a lot better so I should be there.

What's the plan?

Could I also have a mobile number of someone going just incase something happens. . . . .I'm not sure what, but just to be safe. :)

Thanks
    Ryan
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    In case people haven't seen last weeks thread, I'm heading for the Audax Willy Warmer saturday. Start at Gerrards Cross at 7:30 for 200kms.

http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=09-943

You'll need mudgaurds though as its a winter ride. Despite all the slurs against bikes with guards I still rather like my steed.

I emailed the organiser and he said you can sign up on the day. Hope its more than just me :roll:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • The emu
    I'm feeling a bit poorly with early signs of man-flu but still keen on going for a spin, so yeah the plan is 9am at Richmond Hill Gate.

I'll be the reasonably tall chap on a white wilier.

As far as plans going we're pretty flex, but it basically involves heading into the south downs away from traffic, go over a few nice hills usually stopping at Box Hill at some point for a tea/coffee break and then head back into big smoke.

I'll pm you my number Ryan.

I don't have anything personal against mudguards Mykee, my sisters favourite bike had a set :P . In all seriousness, enjoy mate, I would actually do it if my bike was a bit more errr....robust.

• chrisw28
    Sorry guys, gonna have to bail (last minute!).

Have a good ride, might even see some of you out there, although I only recognize Rich!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The emu
    Well everyone smashes me on the climbs.

You should feel how heavy Mykees bike is. :shock: He must have legs like steel springs

Well corker of a day outside, so am taking advantage of it and getting amongst it.

• felgen
    The emu wrote:

Well corker of a day outside, so am taking advantage of it and getting amongst it.

Yep was fantastic at 6.45am this morning with an amazing sunrise over Wimbledon common, enjoyed by me and a few joggers.

The weather looks great at the moment outside, but am at work :(

Enjoy the ride guys :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Thanks James, we did, mostly. Ryan suffered from 'Good 'eavens it's Evans' syndrome, not being able to use his little ring due to incompetent chain fitting. The poor chap turned back just before Shere.
    I was thrilled to finally make one of these, and grateful for the warm welcome, and to finally meet a few of you.
    My door to door was 125k at a 25kmh ride average, with 1443m of climbing according to my Suunto.
    Nick
  • The emu
    Thanks for playing tour guide today Nick, there were some superb villages, climbs and views today, oh and thanks for the cuppa tea.

I made it home with the following (door to door):

- 120.65km
    - Avg Spd 24.3kmh
    - Max Spd 76.7 :shock:
    - Elevation 1497m

Rich made it home fine as did Ryan, although Ryan informs me he also snapped his seat clamp at Richmond Park and had to limp to the LBS.

I basically bonked it heading into Kingston, limped home and by the time I got home had severe shakes, could barely get my bike up one flight of stairs :oops: . Serves me right for not having any money on me - one banana and a snickers bar just doesn't cut it for my metabolism on a 120k hilly and windy ride. :cry:

Oh well, as the saying goes, what doesn't kill you....

• chrisw28
    Sounds like you guys had an eventful morning, I saw Rich as I was heading out into the hills with my friend, a nice suprise! I did a bit of a delay start (I don't like getting out of bed!), but good to know you all got back safe.

For some weird reason I feel like doing a ride to brighton soon. Does anybody know any good routes down that way?
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    The emu wrote:
    You should feel how heavy Mykees bike is. :shock:

don't be disrespecting 'Thumper'! It gets me down the hills quickly. Anyway I've seen you riding round on a Saturday night with Spokey Dokey's and handlebar tassles :lol:

Managed the 200kms in 9hrs 20mins. Despite being a little hungover and 10minutes late I finished first with 2 others which was a bit of a surprise (yes, I know audax's are not a race). But it was an audax so most people did stop for morning tea and scones, roast lunch and cake in the afternoon! Main thing is that I felt surprisingly alright for the ride with no niggles to report, even woke up this morning feeling good. Anyone up for a run into Surrey this morning? Bahaaa.... :shock:

Sounds like you guys also had a good rife yesterday, nice to see some new folks joining. I'm hoping to get out next saturday for a quick 100ish.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • felgen
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Sounds like you guys also had a good ride yesterday, nice to see some new folks joining. I'm hoping to get out next saturday for a quick 100ish.

K's or Miles? :shock:
    Well you are all lucky buggers getting out for a nice ride - I had to make to with town riding, but managed a 20mph average to work and back - ooh 16 and a bit miles. I had planned for a couple of sneaky laps of RP on the way back, but my front light was low on battery so it was a bit too dark. Glad some new faces came and enjoyed it - though I wouldn't call RedGreenBaron a newbie - knows more about the surrey hills.

Its windy out today - I had to put up with a big headwind against me on the way into work, but hopefully it will be a tailwind on the way home :twisted:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Sounds like you guys had an eventful morning, I saw Rich as I was heading out into the hills with my friend, a nice suprise! I did a bit of a delay start (I don't like getting out of bed!), but good to know you all got back safe.

For some weird reason I feel like doing a ride to brighton soon. Does anybody know any good routes down that way?
    Yeah sorry I didn't stop Chris - needed to get back and was on a roll at that stage!

I know a couple of good routes down to the south coast as that's my neck of the woods (Worthing not Brighton, but close enough!). Think I have a couple of .gpx files saved somewhere so drop me a line if you want them emailed over 8)

RGB - was good to meet you finally, and thanks for the insight into some new routes. Would have loved to have carried on with you guys but hopefully you'll be out with us again sometime when I don't have to head for home quite so early!

Glad to hear Ryan made it back safe too - nice one for coming along mate and hopefully see you out again in future 8)
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Thanks guys - it was good to meet up with you and will hopefully make the next one if you don't mind me popping along again? Sorry for bailing early; I had a new chain put on a while back but hadn't used the smaller chain ring much so never spotted the problem before. . . . I reckon they just chucked a new chain on without removing any of the links; I've fixed it myself and removed 5 of the links and it looks perfect now.

I made it home okay and didn't get lost; but I had moments of panic where I didn't remember seeing certain places like a pub, etc :)

When I managed to get back to Richmond Park my seat post clamp broke on the way down that big hill; I heard a loud snap and started sinking slowly :) I then had to ride without a seat for 20 minutes; my legs were a bit sore from riding in the standing position. I popped in to 3 bike shops before I found one which had a seat post clamp; thanks to Action Bikes who managed to save me. The seat post clamp I've bought is a bit chunky but got me home safely; I'm going to create a post in Road Gear & Know-how asking for some advice on a new one

Thanks again for taking me round the Surrey hills; it was good to meet up with you and get out with a group . . . .and sorry for not pointing out all the pot holes :/
    Ryan :)

Edit: Link added to the seat post clamp post:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15155303
  • chrisw28
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Yeah sorry I didn't stop Chris - needed to get back and was on a roll at that stage!

I know a couple of good routes down to the south coast as that's my neck of the woods (Worthing not Brighton, but close enough!). Think I have a couple of .gpx files saved somewhere so drop me a line if you want them emailed over 8)

No problem, I knew you were planning on getting back home early anyway!

Would love to have those gpx files, I will PM you my email addy now, ta!

Did anybody manage to get out today? It was windy as hell, I found it particularly bad heading north from box hill through epsom way :cry: Almost got blown off my bike thanks to a suprise gust! (no joke). A serious brown shorts moment.
  • The emu wrote:
    I basically bonked it heading into Kingston, limped home and by the time I got home had severe shakes, could barely get my bike up one flight of stairs :oops: . Serves me right for not having any money on me - one banana and a snickers bar just doesn't cut it for my metabolism on a 120k hilly and windy ride. :cry: Oh well, as the saying goes, what doesn't kill you....
    Sorry Wilf you should have said - I always have an emergency gel, plus lots of calories still in my bottle. I even had some marmite on toast left, but probably past its best. The next step after the shakes can be a blackout :shock:
    And when did you hit 77kmh? Glad our elevation matched up. Next stop 2000m. Could probably do that in as little as 15 more miles. How much climbing in the bonebreaker thing in spain?
  • The emu
    Sorry Wilf you should have said - I always have an emergency gel, plus lots of calories still in my bottle. I even had some marmite on toast left, but probably past its best. The next step after the shakes can be a blackout :shock:

Thats ok I don't like to make a fuss, and once we reached the city I knew I could manage it as worst case I could limp to a corner shop.
    And when did you hit 77kmh?
    Not entirely sure where as its difficult to make out looking at motionbase. Could just be a glitch. What did you make it, as yours would have been faster?
    Glad our elevation matched up. Next stop 2000m. Could probably do that in as little as 15 more miles. How much climbing in the bonebreaker thing in spain?

Yes definitely more climbs required - Fray Bentos is over 4300m of climibing 8)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    edited February 2009
    phips wrote:
    No thread for this coming weekend yet Rich-Ti? Anyone got any plans for Saturday or Sunday?
    Welcome back buddy! 8)

Was actually just thinking I should kick something off - there was talk of doing an 'RPCC / Fray Bentos' run out at Hillingdon this Sat which I am still well up for and think would be a great laugh. Otherwise I'm free all weekend at the mo so would be good for a Sun AM spin.

Will try and get a new thread started soon :D
  • The emu wrote:
    Not entirely sure where as its difficult to make out looking at motionbase. Could just be a glitch. What did you make it, as yours would have been faster?
    65kmh from coldharbour to dorking; I mostly don't have the guts to go flat out, and slow slightly before the last right kink.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Good ride on Saturday. Thanks Nick and Wilf for helping me out post-Box Hill.

What's the go this weekend? I know I have seen some posts re: Hillingdon and the like but anyone else keen on going out for a run?

I know we need to build the miles for Fray Bentos. I am opting for a shorter run this weekend as I have lots on, or alternatively if there is a 100km + ride going on, is anyone keen on doing a Sally Robbins and coming back with me part way?