Am i too old?

2»

Comments

• Since everyone including me has given you the good news about how you get fitter, I thought I'd give you the bad news - it never gets ant easier, you still get tha aches and pains, it still knackers you - you just go further and faster.

But that's why we love it!
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Trust me, you don't want to go to Bannockburn.

Its most redeeming feature is a Granada service station.

I know, I've been. And to top it all off I read something the other day about how the battle probably didn't take place there after all.

Which begs the question, why did they call it the Battle of Bannockburn?

How random is this?? :roll:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • 59 tomorrow.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • dave_hill
    See? :D
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    46 and only had my GT for 4 months so not done much so far. Off to Cwmcarn with my boss next week and sh1tting myself!!!! :shock:

He's already done it and Afan recently so I expect to show myself up big time.....but who cares, I'm sure I'll love it!! :lol:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    35 this year and getting faster and faster, riding further and further.

Bloke down the road laughed at me, that was until I overtook his van on my Ribble. Ginger rear of rendered pork fat!
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Since everyone including me has given you the good news about how you get fitter, I thought I'd give you the bad news - it never gets ant easier, you still get tha aches and pains, it still knackers you - you just go further and faster.

But that's why we love it!

you forgot the bit about ....

Oh well you will find out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • LOL, THAT bit, oh yeah :evil:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    LOL, THAT bit, oh yeah :evil:

are i was actually thinking of the breaks taking longer to heal and it takes longer to get back up after a fall.

but there is also that other one! :oops:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    are you talking about getting pins and needles in your toilet parts?

I really dont like that at all.
  • MarcBC wrote:
    without having to move to the middle of the Highlands of Scotland (although that is also a plan for the future!).

highlands of scotland is great, i live 14 miles north of inverness and the riding is fantastic.
  • dave_hill
    are you talking about getting pins and needles in your toilet parts?

Ooh, that's not good at all :cry: - you need to be looking at your riding position an dhow you have your saddle aligned.

I used to get the same, but I've found that tilting the nose of my saddle(s) down slightly helps to prevent it.

It can have serious consequences if you don't deal with it... :oops:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • are you talking about getting pins and needles in your toilet parts?

TFFT I thought it was only me!!

It's a very odd feeling, especially when you adjust and the blood rushes back in.

or is that just too much information 8)
  • dave_hill
    It's a very odd feeling, especially when you adjust and the blood rushes back in.

Now I actually got to quite liking that bit...oh wait, wrong forum!!! :oops:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Hi There
    46, riding for 18 years, Orange Big T, Skill level 'intermediate' - lovin' every minute of it.
    Don't care at all what other folk think about bike or gear - just like to be riding!
    Cheers
    Les
  • Yip,i've taken on board what everyone has said,i'm just gonna enjoy my biking,hopefully get fitter in the process,thanks to everyone who has replied.
  • I spoke to a guy in a bike shop recently, who told me of a recence 65 year old customer, not long retired. He decided to get into biking and treated himself to a Stumpy FSR S-Works!! Four and a half grand, four hip replacements and three years to live? Never too old! :)
  • jax22
    jax22 Posts: 4
    i've been riding bikes since i were a nipper and i'm now 48 and still falling off still getting covered in xxxxx and still getting wet and hoping to buy a new bike over the weekend,your only here once ,,,,,,,,,, :lol::lol::lol::lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    According to my date of birth 41. You are as young as the guys you beat. Using this principle on the rowing machine at work (which I am better at than riding!) I am not yet 25 :lol:
  • 35, 19 stone and just bougt a 2009 Giant xtc 4 - first new bike in a very long time and i can't wait to get out...
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    I'm 48, started riding when i was 37 and love every minute on my bike. Just been riding in New Zealand and I go to Morzine/the Alps every year and ride the same stuff as the so called young ones. I've also ridden Coed-y-Brennen, Glentress and Innerlethen. If you are going to ride the hard stuff I'd recommend padding up a little. Otherwise just get out there and do it, who cares about your age, I intend to be riding at 70 and beyond.
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • just got back in to it at 36.......feel outa shape......but a huge grin on my face!!!!! :D

just have fun and ignore the kids.......we ignored "oldies" when we were young......

just ride!!!!
    Trek 6700 Disc (09)
  • been riding since a toddler, 47 now although I regularly say I am 12. Never want to grow up. Just ride and enjoy and remember - there will always be someone faster but equally someone slower, at the end of the day who cares, just enjoy!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i am a youngster compared to some of you guys (30 years young), but will agree with what has been said before.

Nothing better than out-perfroming a so-called young-un.....

Injuries are now taking longer to heal than they used to, so yes....if the going gets gnar...pad up a little.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Im 42 and got into MTBing about 2 years ago though only now really stepped up a gear. Got a Mongoose as well.

Hey MONGOOSE you in North Ayrshire by any chance?
    Tall n skinny
  • I'm surrounded by youngster here!! Just joined the forum and still enjoy on and off road riding, especially surrounded by women in lycra. 8)

I shall hit the 'Big Six' this October. :roll:
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • Age is not a problem, its all in the head. Just forget how old you are at the moment. As I ride veteran in all but most of the Downhill Races and managed to get a trophy in the Midlands Championship 3rd overall. So you are not losing out on anythink. Just have fun.
  • I'm 39 and just bought my 1st MTB, been out on roads twice but looking forward to getting into some trails. Got kids and they want to come too, so bring it on!!!
    If i overtake you, it's coz my brakes have failed!!!

2007 Specialized Hardrock Pro