Am i too old?

mongoosed
mongoosed Posts: 315
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,just joined,i've just bought a cheapish mongoose to get me started,if i enjoy it i will get a better one,trouble is at 40 am i too old,all the riders i see are young with £1000+ bikes,

Robert.

Comments

• darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    there are older people than you here!!! get out and have fun!
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hi.

And don't worry about your age, unless you're racing.
    Just enjoy it.

I know a guy in my place that has 42years and he rides for fun.
    He even entered our first DH race just for fun.

Well scrap that, "unless you're racing", if you like it go for it, who cares if you finish last,
    but actualy you won't finish last because there is always someone that retires from the race.

Have fun. :D
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Too old, no chance, you're never too old to sling a leg over a mountain bike & have loads of fun.

I'm 36, although I certainly don't act it on a bike :lol:
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • hey, i went out on a ride with a 72 year old a month ago, he competed at the strathpuffer 24 (a very tough mtb enduro) as a team of 4 and did 6 laps, which is very good. he does hill running and abseiling, and he is 72, i think you can wing a leg over a bike at 40 ;). my dad is coming up 50 and hes thinking about getting a better bike, he has a gt aggressor (which got him into mtbing) but now he wants a carbon HT like the one im getting! i know a certain 65 yr old who rides SINGLESPEED!!! stop worrying, age doesn't define you!
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    see those kids on £1000 bikes? theyre mountain bikers just like you. there is no age limit and no bottom limit for buying a bike (altho you buy argos Y frame bikes at your own risk).

Im 37 and today I rode 8 miles in the rain (then 8 back) to spend maybe 30 minutes blasting through some deep muddy trails that are so bad at this time of year even the moto x riders stay away from them. my bike is filthy, my clothes are ruined and I dont think I can ever wear those shoes again. but did it make me happy? damn right it did.

is that the sort of behaviour one can reasonably expect of a near 40 year old man?

no, probably not, but it should be. and more besides!
  • mongoosed
    cheers guys.
  • Totally agree with everyone else, forget about your age, it doesn't matter. I'm 51 and started biking with my 12 year old son a few months ago. Went 15 miles though rain and mud yesterday and done Blue run and part of Red, including Spooky Wood at Glentress a few weeks ago, BRILLIANT. Get out htere and enjoy it!!
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    edited January 2009
    Im 45 Well 46 this year every Saturday I ride for 25 miles on Local rides
    And away weekends in Whales etc.

Dont be a Old Toss get your leg over and ride. :wink:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I have seen and ridden with a number of guys in their late 50s and early 60s and have quite often been left for dead on the hills by them. I want to be like that when I'm 60+ (wouldn't say no to being that fit now at 37).

Cycling seems to be one of those sports that has really fit people heading for retirement and beyond still actively taking part.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    yeah, theres an old guy around glasgow who is totally legendary. he must be at least 80 by now but he has passed me going uphill, sitting down and just taking his time and enjoying it while Im chucking the bike around like an eejit and sweating and screaming at it to get a fekkin move on.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Well at 58 I feel like a spring chicken when I ride.

There's nothing like riding pole and listening to all the youngsters behind puffing and panting.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Old!! you've hardly started.

I'm 47 not astoundingly fit, but over the summer and Autumn last year was regularly doing fifty mile rides, mostly off road - what these guys would call XC with a bit of overcautious DH. Been doing this sort of stuff for four years and cycled regularly - though more boringly for years before that.

And I see lots of guys out there a lot older than me.

Cycling is a sport where you can start a lot older than other sports - in road racing you'e considered a junior until you're in your twenty something's and on the road a 39 year old nearly won Gold at Beijing (came about fifth in the sprint at the end)

Old my arse :D
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would say 40 wasn't even half way on ages with this forum!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Good mate of mine is getting into it along with me, we're celebrating his 50th this year.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    My dad's getting on for 60 and he's probably as fit as me. He's into sailing more than mountain biking, but can still hack it. I see quite a few older riders when I'm out and about and the beauty of cycling is you can go at your own pace and tailor the terrain to your fitness and skill levels.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    It's not your age that matters, but your relative health and fitness. I agree, age alone should never stop anyone enjoying riding any bike! :)

I am approaching 36, and now and again I do get comments about 'why am I riding a bike at my age?' which I ignore, especially since they usually come from overweight or lazy anti-cyclist types!! :?

I do however, think there should be an age limit for wearing badly fitting lycra!! I've noticed a few older folk not looking their best in their skinsuits! Those wrinkles DO show through guys! :shock:

With that said, always keep an eye on your general health, in case your heart or bones start telling you to ease down!

I'm glad I am still considered 'a youngster' on this forum!

KK.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I raced last weekend in the veteran class - that's the 40+ class - along with 44 others.

There were 30+ in the Grand Veterans - 50+

So I reckon you've got at least 20 years riding before you're 'too old'.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Step 1. Forget how old you are.

Step 2. Go have fun - you only live once and you're a long time dead!

thats my philosophy anyhow -
  • I'm 38 and I'm off to the Alps in summer with my bike, so forget all the "I'm too old bollocks".

Just ride the bloody thing and have a laugh.

Joe.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    You're never too old! I'm 37 going on 12 and have no intentions of growing up any time soon!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I am 47, overweight and very unfit but have just started out on an MTB. Yes it is currently very hard work, yes I am not able to do long runs on road or even short runs off road, yes the clothes do not flatter my shape and yes I don't care.

I know I am getting fitter, I am not looking to be an older Atherton or Armstrong or win races (although I am entering a couple to give myself target dates to get fit for) but just improve my health and enjoy the freedom of being away from houses, cars and noise without having to move to the middle of the Highlands of Scotland (although that is also a plan for the future!).

I did my first Swinley Forest on Sunday and was not the oldest by a long shot (at least not when I started, by time I finished I was a lot older :D .
  • I'll be 40 in April, I ride every weekend with a bunch of mates I've known since school, the youngest is 35.

I've just about recovered from a pair of broken fingers (Dalby - don't ask), so no we're not too old but yes I should know better.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm 63, bike to work every day, do 20-30 mile runs at weekends, go fellwalking regularly, planning a trip to Ecuador to climb volcanoes next year - sleep when you're dead 8) 8) 8) 8)
  • dave_hill
    37?

That photo must have captured you on a bad day then!

That's what I like about you - absolutely f*** all... :D:D
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mongoosed
    i've just realised how unfit i am,it was hard work over the weekend,but it's great fun.
  • dave_hill
    That's it, swords at dawn!

Ooh, ooh, Bannockburn 2 - This time it's Personal!! :lol:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Trust me, you don't want to go to Bannockburn.

Its most redeeming feature is a Granada service station.