Getting the miles in and f***ing punctures

davidmiller
davidmiller Posts: 320
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
***** WARNING ***** Incessant whining coming up.

It's hard enough getting the miles in in winter as it is but I'm really fed up of puncturing now and having to change inners in the dark and wet.

Had two in the first week or two of Jan then last monday, in the dark and it was p****ing it down had a mega sidewall blow out 2 miles from work and had to walk in on my spd's. got bike sorted during lunch but guy recommended a continental gaitorskin tyre that would be more puncture resistent. Went ok for a while. this week my work pattern has been quite disrupted and as I get most of miles in during my commute i've really had to work hard to find alternative cycling opportunities . so, not at work yesterday i'm up at 6.30 to get 20 miles in. Half way round puncture - changed in the cold, dark and wet. this morning only got a mile from the house in the cold dark and wet and guess what - another of the bu**ers!!!

That's 4 punctures in 320 miles of cycling this side of New Year - all at the back and through two different tyres - that's a puncture every 80 miles - what am I doing wrong??

How are you guys getting on this year?? I see wiggle are short of tubes.

Perhaps a new winter bike on the ridetowork scheme is in order??

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan.....

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've only had 1 so far this year, literally yesterday. I always find I get punctures when it has just rained heavily or has been windy. I think the wind blows sharp bits of tree about and the rain washes that and small bits of glass and detritus across the road surface, which cars roll over and spread even further.

However, sounds like "getting the miles in" has become a bit of a chore for you and is taking the enjoyment out of cycling. Perhaps take a step back and don't worry so much that your mileage at the moment isn't as high as you would like and just enjoy the ride...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Had the first one of the year yesterday @ 7:20am in the pouring rain. Then had the second one of the year this morning @ 7:45am in the snow !!

Turns out I had a thorn in the tyre... Cycling, aint it great...
  • Headhuunter
    The worst is when you get a puncture part way through a ride, fix it, check the tyre very, very carefully for the cause of the puncture, find nothing, put the whole thing back together, start riding and withing 20 mins it's flat again because you missed some tiny fleck of glass embedded in the tyre the 1st time....
  • ..................having posted thought I'd just nip out to the bike shed and check things. Guess what, it was flat. At least I've had the opportunity to have a really good look at it in the light now. Found two areas where there were small sharp stones stuck right inside the tyre. However, from the inside I could not feel them - no wonder I missed them in the dark.

That was the second and last of my spare inners so I'll need to nip to the shop on my way out of town and get some more before the 8 m across dark country lanes.

I've actually been really enjoying all of the cycling this january. It took me to the middle of March to do 300 m last year - even the weather does not bother now I'm now well kitted up. The punctures are another thing though.

Anyway, hopefully problem solved now and I'll be out again tommorrow as well, getting my weekly total above a 100.

DM
  • Had my first puncture in 2500 miles this week, the hole was due to the smallest shard of glass ever. tossed the tyre and the tube as they were crappy kenda jobbies any way!
  • Headhuunter
    ..................having posted thought I'd just nip out to the bike shed and check things. Guess what, it was flat. At least I've had the opportunity to have a really good look at it in the light now. Found two areas where there were small sharp stones stuck right inside the tyre. However, from the inside I could not feel them - no wonder I missed them in the dark.

That was the second and last of my spare inners so I'll need to nip to the shop on my way out of town and get some more before the 8 m across dark country lanes.

I've actually been really enjoying all of the cycling this january. It took me to the middle of March to do 300 m last year - even the weather does not bother now I'm now well kitted up. The punctures are another thing though.

Anyway, hopefully problem solved now and I'll be out again tommorrow as well, getting my weekly total above a 100.

DM

Aaha, that'll be it. Spending ages, literally scouring the inside and out of the tyre really, really carefully before putting everything back together pays dividends. Even if you're on a grass verge, in the country, in the dark, use your light to check it. There's nothing worse than a repeat puncture 2 miles down the road...
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    ive not had a puncture since i put my puncture resistant tires on and i have done around 1500 miles on them
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Nick6891 wrote:
    ive not had a puncture since i put my puncture resistant tires on and i have done around 1500 miles on them

Oh dear :shock:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • you think you have it bad, i was in charge of the hire bikes at a sunsail resort for 7 weeks at the end of the summer. At least 3 punctures a day, glass, huge thorns. The number of multiple punctures was ridiculous. Some people seem to just ride through hedges. One family of 3 was out for no more than 1/2 an hour and bought the bikes back with all tyres puncutred. Still means I got a lot of practice mending punctures so am super quick now. Only puncutred once myself over the 7 weeks.
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • I'm not going to tempt Providence. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I had the first puncture of 09 at the start of the month. The puncture wasn't what pissed me off. It was the school boy error of turning the bike upside down to take the wheel out. The pavement obviously was covered in crap and dirt, so my nice clean sparkling white bar tape is now black. DOH!! :x
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    On my commuter bike I put a 700-25 inside a 700-28.Double protection for the inner tube=no p***tures.Since this is for commuting I'm not bothered about the extra weight.
  • croggy wrote:
    On my commuter bike I put a 700-25 inside a 700-28.Double protection for the inner tube=no p***tures.Since this is for commuting I'm not bothered about the extra weight.

one tyre inside the other or one tube inside the other?? I have some difficulty getting my 700x23 tyres off as singles - I'd hate to try a double.
  • sorry for taking so long to post - I'm sure your were all wondering where I was :lol::lol:

You'll be very relieved to hear I made it all the way home (10 miles) without a puncture. Stopped off at LBs to get some spare tubes so really looking forward to getting out to do a 50 tomorrow. :D:D:D

DM
  • After suffering 2 p*s in one day, I finally tired (geddit :roll: ) of repairing inner tubes & bought a pair of Continental Ultra Gator Duraskins.

Not had them out for a proper ride yet, but I am hoping that I have seen my last patch for a while. 8)
    Ride On ...
  • After suffering 2 p*s in one day, I finally tired (geddit :roll: ) of repairing inner tubes & bought a pair of Continental Ultra Gator Duraskins.

exactly what i have on the back - good luck :twisted: :twisted:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    It is a nuisance and seems to happen much more in winter. When I was on the Isle of Wight over Christmas I did 100's of miles with nothing, yet cycling in London I seem to get one every other ride almost. All manner of crap up here.
  • First puncture of the new year (Saturday) - front with Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin - bujt no match for glass (didnt even see it!). I suppose my 2nd ride on my new road bike I need to adjust to the fact that on my MTB I could pretty much remain indestructible!!
    Summer Bike - Orbea Onix (Ultegra)/American Classics Carbon 58 wheels
    Winter Bike - Boardman Team Carbon (Rival)/Mavic Krysiums
    Commuter - Reynolds Steel Single Speed
    Family Bike - Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Training -Specialized Langster
    MTB -Carrera Vengeance
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    Just my luck - after having read this thread, this evening I had my first EVER puncture on my current set of tyres, which have done around 3000 miles. I've been mighty impressed so far, since they're just the cheapo bottom-of-the-range michelins that came with the bike. Oh well, guess it had to happen sometime!
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    Had two in the first week or two of Jan then last monday, in the dark and it was p****ing it down had a mega sidewall blow out

I had a broken spoke and a p*nct*r* within a mile of each other this morning :evil:

Quick question were all of these punctures sidewall blow-outs? Only time I had one of these (and it really went with a bang) was because my front brakes were not properly adjusted and they were abrading the tyre. Worth checking this out. It was a Gatorskin tyre but it was my fault; I have otherwise found them good & reliable.

The scary bit was that earlier on the same ride I hit 48mph, still my record. Blowing out at that speed doesn't bear thinking about. Take care out there.
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    Yup, with you on this topic.... After riding the whole of 2008 with NO punctures at all! Yes, thats Jan to Dec... I suffered not 1, but 3 punctures this weekend...

Now as I have not changed my tyres in over a year, I think they are in need of replacement. I'm gathering the Continental Ultra Gator Skins Tyre is the way forward?
  • i can recommend michelin krylions , ive also done the tyre inside another thing but i cut the bead off the 23mm 1 it was an old michelin pro light put it inside krylion 25mm did 150 touring last weekend no puntures
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    I'm, not normally superstitious but whenever I mention how many punctures I've had/not had the fairies come along and stick things in my tyre.
  • let the dog out at 6.30 this morning and it's raining - lots. First thought was aw b*****ks I'm gonna get very wet but after I'd talked myself round I started thinking, oh no, it's raining that means three times the chance of getting a puncture, in the dark, wet and cold!!!! However, I seems to made of stronger stuff this winter and I am on track for 500 miles in Jan and not using the car once to go to work the OCD kicked in and I jumped on the bike. Happy to report I had a very enjoyable ride in (directly though, 10 m with no extras this morning) and NO PUNCTURES - horay :lol::lol::lol:

Just wish I could get on with waterproof overtrousers.
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    Oh punctures :evil: Figure this out. I can't ride my winter bike more than 5 miles without puncturing the rear. Again yesterday. They always seemed to be in the same part of the tube, so I spent ages making sure the rim was smooth, but still punctured so changed the wheel. (in fact I think I'm on the 3rd wheel- oldish ones from my garage). The only thing I haven't changed is the tyre.
    BUT, I punture on this same 200yd stretch of road, (not the only place though), even 2 years ago when I used to commute on it. Doesn't matter how long I've been out or which way I get to it, nearly alway punture in the same spot. It's a popular road with cyclists and I never see anyone else repairing at the road side. AND, never puncture there on my good bike.
    Off to LBS now. New tubes, tyre & possibly shiny new wheel if they've got something sensible. gotta laugh :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Not sure I would recommend Gatorskins. I moved onto Schwalbe Marathon Plus after having 3 punctures on one ride a year or so back.

Never had a puncture on the Marathons and dont expect to.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Done 700 winter miles on a set of standard Vittoria Rubino rigid 700x25c tyres. Not a single puncture yet.
  • After 18 months with a new bike and no punctures, I went through a spell last autumn of getting a puncture every time I went out. Even just 2ks to supermarket and back - puncture. Every time for about 6 weeks, a puncture every time I looked at the bike, including some really annoying slow ones that I did not notice until all dolled up ready to get the bike out of the cupboard and see the back wheel down again.

These were all in the back tyre. I figure I am doing something wrong - go to LBS to see if there is something wrong with the wheel. Nothing, but they sell me a Schwalbe marathon for the back wheel (I only have the wheel with me). Next ride - first ever puncture in the front. :evil:
  • laertes wrote:
    After 18 months with a new bike and no punctures, I went through a spell last autumn of getting a puncture every time I went out. Even just 2ks to supermarket and back - puncture. Every time for about 6 weeks, a puncture every time I looked at the bike, including some really annoying slow ones that I did not notice until all dolled up ready to get the bike out of the cupboard and see the back wheel down again.

These were all in the back tyre. I figure I am doing something wrong - go to LBS to see if there is something wrong with the wheel. Nothing, but they sell me a Schwalbe marathon for the back wheel (I only have the wheel with me). Next ride - first ever puncture in the front. :evil:

lol, sorry but I had to laugh. I'm sooooo hacked off with the eweather stopping me from getting on the bike now that I'd forgotten about punctures. Moan, moan moan, moan :D:D:D

Are the Marathons THE thing to have then???

DM
  • Conti Ultra Gatorskins seem to split opinions. I've been riding them for years and like them. They are fast and light (unlike Marathons) and I find they will be p*nct*re free for about 2000 miles but then I'll get a few and I change the tyres. I think £40 for 2000 miles is OK - others don't. Marathons will go for a few thousand more miles so I've heard. Some people, though, seem to have a problem right from the start with the Gators - I've heard it attributed to ex MTBers, heavy riders, poor pressure but perhaps some people are just more prone to picking up flats.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.