How far can you ride without stopping?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Hi,

Out of interest, how far can you ride without stopping for a rest (pee stops are allowed) and what do you drink / eat whilst on these long runs?
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• 12hrs 247.27 miles eating malt loaf and mars bars ,drinking lucazade. 1975 Poole wheelers 12

Derek Pierce
  • @ beatsystem: Chapeau!

my best was 13hrs 18 mins. Whitehaven to Tynemouth C2C, including off-road sections. Go Bars and water.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Are they both without stopping!!! OMFG! :shock:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Gav888 wrote:
    Hi,

Out of interest, how far can you ride without stopping for a rest (pee stops are allowed) and what do you drink / eat whilst on these long runs?

Interesting question, and one which I have not tested to my limits. However I think I could prob stay on the bike for around 5 hours without a break before my ass become so numb that I would not walk for a week if I did not get off!

I drink lucozade and/or water and would normally eat a few bananas whilst out.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I could do 8 hours as long as I eat and drink properly.

Stopping slows me down.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I was just thinking that Steve. The Welsh 12hr has two stop signs and a set of traffic lights which must be obeyed.

Saying that I have a few 'stretch' stops anyway. Goal his year will be to ride the 12 without any proper stops, just wondering how many ibuprofen that will take? (Cue start of debate/thread diversion: on 'is taking painkillers morally right in long distance races. :roll: )
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I did an 11 hour ride once, I only stopped for toilets and to dash into shops to buy food and drinks (no more than 5 minutes break in total).

It was from Hungary to Slovakia, on a heavy steel-framed trekker (price when brand new - £60) in 30 degree heat after only 4 hours sleep and a 4 hour train journey down to Hungary first thing in the morning. I got attacked by thousands of mosquitoes as well, dunno how much blood I lost. Just trying to put into context the mere 130 miles that I did that day - it was much harder work than rides that I've done at a higher pace.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    not so far these days, but when I was race-fit we would ride 70-90 miles at pace without a stop (not including junctions, pee stops, etc). Most races were never usually any longer than that..

Never done the long distance/endurance stuff - not sure I have the mental strength for that...
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    willhub wrote:

Stopping slows me down.

surely 'stopping' actually stops you - not slows you down..?
  • softlad wrote:

Never done the long distance/endurance stuff - not sure I have the mental strength for that...

That's the key to long distance riding. The endurance is reasonably easy as long as you're conditioned to it and you keep the food and water going down your neck, but it's the dealing with the boredom and self-inflicted mind games that'll wear you down.

I've done plenty of long Audax events like London:York, Cambridge:York:Cambridge and Paris:Brest:Paris, and none prepared me for the psychological impact of looping on the same 2 roads on a 24 Hour TT.
  • I did do my 247.27 without stopping except for a pee and then only twice.
  • Mine included 2 stops to fill the camelbak in a stream. Maybe a minute each. Pee stops? Don't people pee on the go any more?
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    The most ive done is 5 and a half hours with a piss stop. Was a bit stiff afterwards. Probably wouldn't want to do much more than that, although I have entered for the Dragon ride later in the year... :(
  • 9.5hours and 300km (187 miles) for me. Vatternrundan 2006.