Training, Recovery and Sex

Gavin Gilbert
Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
I have been informed by someone that it is better to avoid sex on a 'training day'

I have been informed by someone else that it is better to avoid sex on a 'recovery day'

There is remarkably little supporting information for either when I tried Google....

To whom do I listen?

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Just call them 'cycling days' and get on with it!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Never hampered me....

It was like a warm before the turbo session the other morning!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    No sex of any kind in the week before a race, but screw that for training...
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    I have been informed by someone that it is better to avoid sex on a 'training day'

I have been informed by someone else that it is better to avoid sex on a 'recovery day'

There is remarkably little supporting information for either when I tried Google....

To whom do I listen?
    Er I'm sure you don't need forum poster to answer this one. In my experience you can always have sex depending on what type of sex. A mammoth karma sutra session is perhaps not a great idea if you have to get up at 6.am in the morning to do a 200km sportiv. On the other hand a quickie before training or a race shouldn't affect your performance adversely. Damn i can't believe I just responded to your post 8) :D :? :shock:
  • Toks wrote:
    Damn i can't believe I just responded to your post 8) :D :? :shock:

'Twas an experiment to see how many Views and Replies I could get on a slow Wednesday evening. I am, quite frankly, disappointed and can only assume that users of the Training forum have ice water in their veins :?
  • Sorry for the lack of replies, we were all having sex :lol:

Not all together obviously :oops:
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Isn't sex technically cross-training?

Although it might be best not to mention that to your significant other...
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • My wife said if i ever try it wearing a HRM she will kick me in the balls!

But it would be nice to stay in level 2 before the sprint.....
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382

To whom do I listen?

By any chance is it your other half telling you both of these things? It's certainly more inventive than "I have a headache" ;):D
  • "Sex has never slowed me down. I have plenty of experience of this and I can honestly say it has never been a limiting factor" - Mario Cipollini

(In my experience, I am terrible in the hours after i've finished a bike ride. Must all those endorphins or something. Although my girlfriend doesn't seem to mind :D )
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • "Sex has never slowed me down. I have plenty of experience of this and I can honestly say it has never been a limiting factor" - Mario Cipollini

"my secret is that I'm shagging less. Yes, it''s true: I've significantly reduced my sexual activity; now I only shag three times a week" - Mario Cipollini

:lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    320DMsport wrote:
    My wife said if i ever try it wearing a HRM she will kick me in the balls!

lol, HRM sex is a laugh...
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    From another sport - "it's not sex that harms your performance, it's staying out all night looking for it." - Andre Agassi
  • djaeggi
    djaeggi Posts: 107
    Here's a good summary of some research:

http://www.firstscience.com/home/blog/152.html

Personally, I can't get anywhere as near fired up if I've had sex the same day as doing something competitive!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    There's an old documentary of Jackie Stewart at the Monaco GP in the early 70's.

Jackie famously swore by no sex for several days before a race, made him 'hungrier', he always abstained in order to win races.

In the documentary, Jackie and the interviewer are sitting at the breakfast table on a balcony overlooking the circuit, with Jackie drawing corners and racing lines on the tablecloth.

Jackie's wife Helen is wandering about, bringing croissants and fresh coffee to the table, wearing a flimsy wrap with her t*ts poking out and lots of naked thigh. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jackie is oblivious, the interviewer and the cameraman are obviously trying as hard as they can not to notice. :oops:

Absolutely superb ! :lol:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    320DMsport wrote:

Have you tried a PowerTap?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    320DMsport wrote:

Have you tried a PowerTap?

Ha Ha, could always fasten it to your balls and see how many watts is produced...the wife wouldn't see it as much but could be painful on her ass!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think the SRM fits into the little man, the powertap replaces one of your nads, the ergomo goes up yer jacksie and the Polar one measures the bedsprings...
    Le Blaireau (1)