Help needed for 40 something looking to return ! ! ! !

Jonathan Allan
Jonathan Allan Posts: 208
Hi , I am 47 and a cyclist of some 25 years, thing is I know what I need to do as far as training is concerned but I just need some advice as to how to do it . I always start the year with the best intentions but lack of motivation and time seem to get in the way. I am trying to go on the dreaded turbo at least 3 times per week and also do a reasonably long ride on Sundays ( 50/70 miles). when on the turbo I gradually bring my heart rate up from around 130 progressing to a max of 186 , i only did this to see what my max was so i could work out my levels . My goals for the year are to lose some weight and try to increase my endurance and also to go a bit faster in time trials. I was quite fast in 2000 but it all seems to have gone astray. Motivation is the KILLER .Help and any advice as to what to do will be gratefully accepted, sorry to go on .

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Why not ride an audax? A 200km ride thro' a new area will give you an idea of your fitness and allow you to meet other riders. You can go at your pace (as long as it's within the time limits of the event)
    M.Rushton
  • hi Tim here
    just read your thread with interest.
    Ithink the answer to your problem with motivation is in the question.Motivation should come from the thought of doing faster times in your tt events or being able to climb a hill easierafter putting in that effort on dark winter nights.I was out tonight it was raining and blowing a gail but i did 1 30 .NO excuses for not going out :lol: It really is worth the effort in the long run .
    hope this helps
  • Funny thing, Motivation. Either you want to do something or you don't. EIther it's worth the effort or you're dicking about and making things worse by forcing yourself to train when you'd rather be vegging on the sofa eating pizza and watching TV.

Goal setting can help. But then goal setting can damage too. I've been there, 2 years ago I threw the bikes into the back of a garage and swore I'd never touch 2 wheels again. Too much time spent pounding pointless miles for middling results. Too much club and forum politics. Too much bad luck and injuries. Too much thinking about what other life I could have.

Now I'm back, training like a man possessed. Given up my social life, booze, dating, and put my career into 'parked with the engine running' mode. Because I want to.

There's nothing wrong at all with taking some time away if you don't feel motivated. Or trying something new on your cycling CV, like track or audax or cyclocross. There's nothing wrong with dabbling with another sport for a while, or even taking time out totally.

But if you don't enjoy what you're doing and you're not getting paid for it, then maybe persisting at it is a little pointless? When you want to do it again, you'll come back. Like I did.
  • Funny thing, Motivation. Either you want to do something or you don't. EIther it's worth the effort or you're dicking about and making things worse by forcing yourself to train when you'd rather be vegging on the sofa eating pizza and watching TV.

Goal setting can help. But then goal setting can damage too. I've been there, 2 years ago I threw the bikes into the back of a garage and swore I'd never touch 2 wheels again. Too much time spent pounding pointless miles for middling results. Too much club and forum politics. Too much bad luck and injuries. Too much thinking about what other life I could have.

Now I'm back, training like a man possessed. Given up my social life, booze, dating, and put my career into 'parked with the engine running' mode. Because I want to.

There's nothing wrong at all with taking some time away if you don't feel motivated. Or trying something new on your cycling CV, like track or audax or cyclocross. There's nothing wrong with dabbling with another sport for a while, or even taking time out totally.

But if you don't enjoy what you're doing and you're not getting paid for it, then maybe persisting at it is a little pointless? When you want to do it again, you'll come back. Like I did.

One of the best posts I've read on this forum.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I seem to find sometimes I need to motivate myself to NOT go on the bike :lol:
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Hi , I am 47 and a cyclist of some 25 years, thing is I know what I need to do as far as training is concerned but I just need some advice as to how to do it . I always start the year with the best intentions but lack of motivation and time seem to get in the way. I am trying to go on the dreaded turbo at least 3 times per week and also do a reasonably long ride on Sundays ( 50/70 miles). when on the turbo I gradually bring my heart rate up from around 130 progressing to a max of 186 , i only did this to see what my max was so i could work out my levels . My goals for the year are to lose some weight and try to increase my endurance and also to go a bit faster in time trials. I was quite fast in 2000 but it all seems to have gone astray. Motivation is the KILLER .Help and any advice as to what to do will be gratefully accepted, sorry to go on .

I started a training buddies thread the other day:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12603493

which might help with finding some like minded people. No idea how it will develop or how long it will last - that's up to the posters!
  • garmin
    garmin Posts: 31
    Im with WILLHUB on this one
    Litespeed Vela
    Dawes giro 400 [winter bike]
    Diamondback S3 full sus

no pain no gain.